Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 7/10/2018 10:55:29 AM EDT
I've done quite a bit of searching, researched the reliability, ballistics, ammo availability, etc, etc,. Then I actually went and tried out a Mk. II yesterday, and oh man, this thing is just beautiful to shoot.

As much as I know to or could find about these things, I've researched. But what are the ownership quirks that you didn't know before buying one?

I'm also considering this specifically as a carry gun to replace my P07. Do y'all carry this gun, and if so how well does that work out? Is the grip size ever an issue?

Figure I've reached the end of all the objective data I can find on these things, so I'm looking for subjective info from owners.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My FiveseveN is my EDC, it does have a couple of “quirks”...

It will take practice to get familiar with the safety but after a lot of practice I really like it.

You pretty much SHOULD avoid nylon or leather holsters because of the safety location. The holster should have a molded channel in it so the safety doesn’t change when holstering or drawing.
View Quote
From what I'm finding I'm essentially locked out of anything other than kydex because I'll be running an X300U-A on it.

What are your thoughts on carrying with the safety off? In shooting it the trigger didn't feel so light and short that I'd have major concerns, especially with no exposed pin, so I had been thinking of just carrying with it off.

What quirks does it have other than the safety?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My thoughts are it’s as safe as a Glock if you leave the safety off.

I’m a FIRM believer in a safety, if someone was to grab my FiveseveN while on duty, they would have to figure it out while I draw my backup gun and end them.

My favorite loads in order are

Elite Ammunition S4M
Elite Ammunition T6B
FN SS198LF (Green Tip)

Using SS198LF my oldest son was ringing a 12”x12” steel plate at 100 yds like a church bell.
View Quote
Not sure I 100% trust myself to get the safety off in riding gloves is my thing. I don't have any job that would necessitate it, but for OC while riding I'm counting on the retention to keep someone from grabbing it. I figure if someone does manage to get my gun, then either I already have the safety off or I'm no longer in any shape to be using it anyways.

Dang. This is sounding more and more like a good idea...
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I would +1 the above ammo recommendations. Light, LONG, and Fast are what this caliber needs. The T6B fits that bill when you can't source SS190, or you want something more than SS198. The S4M is the same as SS198, but about 200 fps faster.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would +1 the above ammo recommendations. Light, LONG, and Fast are what this caliber needs. The T6B fits that bill when you can't source SS190, or you want something more than SS198. The S4M is the same as SS198, but about 200 fps faster.
View Quote
Yeah, S4M was my plan for the 2600fps.

At this point I just need to figure out if it'll work to put an RMR on my P07 or not. If not, then I'll likely end up going with a Five-Seven.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A few thoughts...

Your P07 doesn’t hold 21 rounds with a flush fitting magazine

Your P07 won’t shoot easily through a Lever IIIA vest

Your P07 won’t shoot through 1 1/4” bullet proof glass with ANY load, SS198LF will

Here is a review I posted on the FiveseveN LINK

Here is a review I posted on my holster I use LINK
View Quote
The Five-Seven definitely offers some advantages, but I do have to be careful on allocating funds with building an SBR and a precision rig at the same time.

My main thing is simply engagement distances. A building I frequent is not only an increased risk of being a target compared to normal daily places, but if somethign did happen, there's a fair chance of having a lot more than just the 7yd standard.

I'd like to run an RMR, and while I'm undecided on if I'd want to run it on the FiveSeven without running BUIS, that's balanced out by the good ballistics, flat trajectory, and stupid low recoil. The stock sights on it were nicer than most I'm used to, which helps a bit as well.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah, S4M was my plan for the 2600fps.

At this point I just need to figure out if it'll work to put an RMR on my P07 or not. If not, then I'll likely end up going with a Five-Seven.
View Quote
It's more like 2400 fps.. Not 2600. I've never hit that in my testing..
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's more like 2400 fps.. Not 2600. I've never hit that in my testing..
View Quote
Just going off what they have quoted on their website. Still, 2400 is quite impressive.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Just going off what they have quoted on their website. Still, 2400 is quite impressive.
View Quote
Yep I know :D Jay insists that every chronograph is wrong and his #s are right. :D
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had my Five-seveN Mkii for a week now, and just got back from my second range trip with it.  Here are a few ownership "quirks" that I've noticed...

1) The thing is incredibly easy to clean.  I don't know if it has to do with the ammo or not, but I've been shooting SS197 and SS198.  The breech face seems to be the only thing that requires a bit of scrubbing.

2) The POI difference between SS197 and SS198 is frustrating.  It's 2 to 3 inches at 10 yards, which seems absurd to me.

3) At the public range, this pistol doesn't make you any friends.  Especially so if there are people in the lanes to the right of you.  I have to step back to where I am almost not even in the booth to prevent brass from flying past the front of the barricade to the right.

So far, though, I really like this pistol.  I just wish I could get better sights (primarily night sights) that I could change out myself, so that I'm not without the pistol for a month or more, and that JM Custom Kydex would make a holster for it
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I had my 5.7 holster custom molded for me....a local guy did it and did a great job..
It's easy to shoot and easy to hit with, I wish it had a fixed sight option (mine is a Mk 2) and that night sights were readily available.   It's my SHTF gun, not EDC.  I also have a PS 90 for the same SHTF event.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:37:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Night sights ARE available, just not cheap.

There are at least three sources.
View Quote
I'm aware.  It's the month or more turnaround that I'm not happy about.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I love mine and like just about everything about it.   The ONLY "quirk" that I dislike about the FiveSeven is that when you drop the magazine, you cannot fire the pistol until a magazine is re-inserted.   They have a magazine safety in the firearm that prevents the gun from firing without the magazine present.

Not that you need to fire your gun with the last round in the chamber often, but if it were for a defensive purpose and you were doing a fast reload with one in the chamber, you couldn't shoot until the fresh mag was inserted.

The safety is a bit different than most pistols, but you get used to it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#17]
By far my favorite handgun love to shoot it. But too big to carry for my preference, I only pocket carry...
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Love mine. I use it for EDC when I want a lighter gun with more firepower than my P220. Runs like a champ with SS197/SS198 and my handloads. Pursuit is right about the all guns capabilities. I recently purchased a Crossbreed OWB holster for mine and love it, super comfy. You mentioned riding so I'll add in that this is usually the gun on my hip when I ride due to weight and it conceals as much as I need under my shirt.

It's a neat little cartridge that you can really make shine with some of the specialty ammo or rolling your own. I get near 2,300 fps out of my 32gr handloads.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 12:03:09 AM EDT
[#20]
1. Make sure the holster is specific to the iteration of Five-Seven you have.
2. Carry 198, or the boutique EA loads if you’re so inclined, but not 197.
3. Zero with the specific load you carry. It matters a lot.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I just took the plunge too.

They are all over GB right now and I got a new MKII for 1,000.

I've always been on the lookout but only at a bargain since it would be more of a recreational piece.

It seems to be a popular-ish handgun based on the 3 straight bidding wars I just got into (thought I had one for 880 for a second, fucking 15 m rule) but there is a serious lack of info out there.

Can't find any cheap plinking ammo either or deals on mags but I'll probably open up with 6 from GMW and a case of SS198 from SGammo.  Are all the night sights for the USG model only?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Ohh, somehow I missed that there is a magazine safety like the BHP.

Is there a video available with how to remove/disable it?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#26]
LOL @ people in that thread defending its existence.  I only see two methods there but I'm skimming all the responses for #3.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow, magazines are out of stock everywhere.  I probably just checked over 30 sources with no luck.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I carried one for a while when they first came out. Light, accurate, easy to shoot. All good things.

Then one day I was sitting on the deck, shooting it (SS198 IIRC) at some 4" round 3/4" thick steel I had hanging about 25 yards away.

After ten rounds I couldn't figure out why I hadn't hit the target. It was windy and it was swaying slightly, but I'm a pretty good shot.

Went over to look at the steel and there were 10 hits on the white painted face.  62 gr 5.56 would ding the plates at 100 yards. The SS198 scoured the paint off at 25. 45 ACP would bounce the plates around.

Not scientific but it just made me rethink that carry choice.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Does that mean you are deaf (didn’t hear the hits) and don’t understand how kicking science works (thinking it has anything to do with moving a heavy metal object?)
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Does that mean you are deaf (didn’t hear the hits) and don’t understand how kicking science works (thinking it has anything to do with moving a heavy metal object?)
View Quote
It means I understand enough physic to realize that the energy has to go somewhere and in the case of the 5.7 less energy was being transferred to the target than expected.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Should have said “killing” science, not “kicking” science. Fucking autocorrect!

Energy imparted to a plate is neither proportional nor related to suitability as a defensive round.

The FN5.7’s pointed bullets means better penetration efficiency of muscle, tissue, bone, and components of central nervous system (what matters), or soft body armor than the bigger, aerodynamically inefficient 9mm, .40cal, 45 bullets.

Those calibers need higher momentum to effect the same penetration as the puny FN 5.7 round.

That’s the point I was trying to make...also made clearly w the fort hood incident.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Should have said “killing” science, not “kicking” science. Fucking autocorrect!

Energy imparted to a plate is neither proportional nor related to suitability as a defensive round.

The FN5.7’s pointed bullets means better penetration efficiency of muscle, tissue, bone, and components of central nervous system (what matters), or soft body armor than the bigger, aerodynamically inefficient 9mm, .40cal, 45 bullets.

Those calibers need higher momentum to effect the same penetration as the puny FN 5.7 round.

That’s the point I was trying to make...also made clearly w the fort hood incident.
View Quote
All true.

I was more concerned about the potential for blunt wound trauma at the time.  Though it seems like the bad guy trend towards body armor has disappeared in the intervening decade. Was a a big deal with the guys making meth when I was living in the backwoods of PA.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top