Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/11/2009 5:12:04 PM EST
Anyone else have wear issues with your finish?

I've had my pistol for about 6 months now, and its already showing significant holster wear. Its already worn down to the metal in 2 spots on the front of the slide and now its started to pick up surface rust around the rear sight and slide serrations if I dont wipe it down and oil it every 2 days or so.

I keep it in the safe, and have even tried keeping it my closet just to make sure the safe wasnt causing it but no luck.

I have the first production run of the new tactical custon II's with the dark grey frame. Another officer at my dept has an older tactical custom with the light grey frame and he hasnt had the first issue with rust and his finish is holding up very well.

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 4:28:18 PM EST
I have an older Kimber Custom with the grey finish. After several 1000 rounds it is wearing thin on all contact points. I carry it in a Comp Tack holster. I call this character marks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 5:28:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/12/2009 5:29:56 PM EST by jon_7687]
I dont mind the character marks. I'm just worried that its happening too fast. I only have about 800 rounds total out of the gun, and I dont draw it from the holster very often. It comes out once I get to the range and goes back in when I leave the range.

I'm more worried about the rust. I'm going to call Kimber on Monday and see what they say about it. I'm just a little upset that I paid over 1k for this gun and already its wearing more than my $400 glock has in 7 years of HARD use.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 10:57:03 PM EST
Kimber blue finishes are notorious for wearing down quick.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:37:58 PM EST
Yeah Kimber's black finish is known for wearing very quickly. But it gives a good excuse to get it hard chromed now
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:22:05 AM EST
ya mine does the same thing on the slide. I wipe it down every day when I get home.
Top Top