Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 4:29:41 PM EDT
I'm looking for a mag well, front strap checkering, ed brown style grip safety, adj night sights.

Raptor lacks the well, but I hear I can just pop a SA one on myself.  TRP has teh rail I won't use.

So they both have minuses for me.

Both are around same price.

Which should I get?

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm looking for a mag well, front strap checkering, ed brown style grip safety, adj night sights.

Raptor lacks the well, but I hear I can just pop a SA one on myself.  TRP has teh rail I won't use.

So they both have minuses for me.

Both are around same price.

Which should I get?

images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976590563-1.jpg

www.kimberamerica.com/images/pistols/special-eds/2005-Summer/large/GrandRaptor_left.jpg

if you wont use the rail, get the kimber. for me, shooting a railed 1911 is something to get used to..
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I voted TRP.  I think the Raptor and Grand Raptor are hideous.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I say the TRP -  it is unique - the rail will make the front end a bit heavier, and this means less recoil. And, as far as I know the Grand Raptor has all black sights - The Springer has tritium sights.

Also, Springfield has said that the new Operators will only be a 1/2 rail in 2006 - So, get one while U can.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I say the TRP -  it is unique - the rail will make the front end a bit heavier, and this means less recoil. And, as far as I know the Grand Raptor has all black sights - The Springer has tritium sights.

Also, Springfield has said that the new Operators will only be a 1/2 rail in 2006 - So, get one while U can.

Grand raptor has meprolight night sights.  one bar under the rear slot and a regualr front.  That's one of my requirements.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#5]
i say a Kimber, but not the raptor (unless you like the cuts in it)
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It's the only one I coudl find with the sights I wnat and an ed brown style grip safety.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Man, that Raptor is hard on the eyes. I voted TRP. Does that TRP fit in normal 1911 holsters?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Third option? Why not the regular TRP. Similar price, no rail. Here's a link to it on the SA site.
TRP
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Third option? Why not the regular TRP. Similar price, no rail. Here's a link to it on the SA site.
TRP

fixed sights.  I'm looking for adj nite sites.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#11]
TRP, the Kimber is awful looking, not that looks matter I guess.  Reckon the TRP Pro doesn't float your boat though as it would be my pick.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the only one I coudl find with the sights I wnat and an ed brown style grip safety.

oh...

do you think that it would be cheaper just to get the regular TRP and change out to a set of nights adjustable?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh...

do you think that it would be cheaper just to get the regular TRP and change out to a set of nights adjustable?

I believe that with adjustable sights some milling of the slide is required so not really.  It woul dhave to go out to get done.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh...

I believe that with adjustable sights some milling of the slide is required so not really.  It woul dhave to go out to get done.

in that case, if these are the only 2 choices (sorry, i cant provide any other options--dont really know any as i have never looked for these specs that hard....)
its a tough choice

the SA have almost everything, but you dont want the rail...

the raptor has the external extractor and no magwell (which you can eaisily add on later, but it will cost ~$70 just for a good magwell...) and change the grips (if you would like) to something that is more "fitting" (i think that some VZs or gunners would beat those stock raptor woods)

i'd probably opt for the SA TRP--its got everything you need already + the rail (and you never know when you might need it)
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm definitely putting on VZ ultra thin grips on either!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:09:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I vote the TRP, but that is the Holy Grail for me right now. I get a boner just looking at the pictures.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Friends don't let friends buy Kimber (ugly raptors and series 2 anyways)

Get the TRP.

Edit: I own a std TRP. A friend owns both a TRP and TRP op. They are all good guns.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:59:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Friends don't let friends buy Kimber (ugly raptors and series 2 anyways)

Get the TRP.

Edit: I own a std TRP. A friend owns both a TRP and TRP op. They are all good guns.

My TLE/RL II Pro is one of my favorite handguns (okay I only have three hadnguns, but nonetheless!)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:23:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TRP

fixed sights.  I'm looking for adj nite sites.

Another option: Get the regular TRP and replace the sights with the Novak Extreme Duty Adjustable rear:Novak Extreme Duty

Avoid External extractor Kimbers, They suck!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Heres the lone voice in the wilderness. Get the grand raptor. I have a raptor and happen to like the way it looks. It has the external extractor that has worked flawlessly for over 1500 rounds too. I stay away from springfield. I have owned 2, both were turds. I also have 3 other Kimbers. No problems with any of them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#21]
To be fair, I bought what was probably one of the first External extractor pistols that Kimber made,(a Tactical Pro-II) about one week after they became available. It was originally a piece of pure poo-poo After receiving a new/replacement extractor from Kimber, and sending the turd to Robar along with an extra $600.00 it now works flawlessly. I just expected more from a $900 pistol straight out of the box.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#22]
<--------------------------------  you know you want it

Grand Raptor, hands down.
Although it's my avatatr, I don't own one(yet). Have a Raptor Pro, works flawlessly.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I like the TRP's night sights better.  I cant get used to the bar/front dot on the Grand Raptor.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I've heard alot of gripes about the external extractor Kimbers over on 1911forum.com and thefiringline.com forums.  Some say they work but quite a few say they've had problems with them, even die hard Kimber fans..  Might want to check into it a bit more before making a choice..

John P..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top