Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2006 10:28:29 AM EDT
What would you choose and why?

I like both guns and I know there is a 200-300 dollar difference, but if the TRP is worth that difference, than I wouldn't mind paying it.

This would be a multipurpose house/range/competition? gun.  Probably won't carry it...I'll use a glock or something less expensive for carry.

Any complaints about either?  Which is more accurate and reliable?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Warrior.  It's a nice gun.  Very accurate.

I think that either way you'll be pleased.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
The Warrior is my pick.

A few posts back, the overwhelming response was for the TRP. I also believe the above poster said the TRP.

Bottom line is that you cannot go wrong with either one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, I'll break from the ranks... Get the TRP (Stainless) and don't look back.
You get an amazing gun and, if you need it, Springfield's customer service is second to none.  
The Warrior is a very nice piece too, but here's the argument I made for the TRP in a previous thread:

The Springfield TRP is quite frankly one of the best bangs for your buck. (Pun intended).

I shoot the top-of-the-line custom Springfield Professional; the pistol that won the contract for the FBI SWAT H.R.T. (Hostage Response Team), beating out the likes of Wilson, Les Baer, Kimber, Colt, etc. Here's some interesting reading on the contest to win the contract.  Quote from article:  "Wilson's, Colt's and Kimber's guns all failed the accuracy test. Kimber's guns were the worst, shooting 3.5", according to FBI records. The only two candidates to pass were Springfield Armory and Pro Gun." (In Kimber's defense, this was their best effort in 2000 and I hear they've made some strides since then).

Nevertheless, the TRP you're considering is designed around the same specs as the SA Pro for a fraction of the cost. Though the TRP isn't entirely hand-fitted like the PRO, it is upgraded with more hand fitting than a standard factory pistol, as well as a 2 piece mag well, night sights, and better tuning internally. It has a quoted accuracy of 2.5" or better at 25 yards. (The Pro is 1.5" or better @ 25yds).

The only thing I would caution you about is the 20 LPI checkering on the front strap. Some people find it a bit too aggressive for them over the typical 30 LPI used on other brands. Frankly, I really appreciate the extra grip when my hands start sweating. But, to each their own.

If you need more convincing, come read the rave TRP reviews on the Springfield board at www.1911forum.com

I love my Pro, but I'm not too vain to admit that the TRP isn't far behind.  Here are some results with the TRP's bit more refined cousin.  Good Luck!

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You can't lose either way but the Warrior is the one I chose.

This is good advice.  I also chose the Warrior.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:57:46 AM EDT
[#6]
ok, I liked your other thread about the pro but....

The Pro is NO WAY related to a TRP. Thats like saying a Springfield loaded or Colt 80 series is just as good as a Nighthawk.

The TRP was not designed "around the same specs" any more than its a 1911 with a 5'' barrel. The frames on TRPs are mass produced by Imbel whereas the Pro is made in house at Springfield, the barrels on TRPs are the same old springfield stainless barrel(no Nowlin barrel), the ejectors are not pinned(and I have seen them come up and wiggle around), the triggers are not as finely tuned on the TRP. Checkering and attention to detail are much higher quality on the Pro.

btw, posting a picture of your pro with your group says absolutely nothing about the topic at hand which is TRP vs Warrior.

I had the TRP and I have the Warrior, I had both at the same time. IMO the trigger is much nicer on the kimber, as well as the part fitment. Another plus is the GI spec guide rod. I also like the pinned ejector in the Warrior, which neither the PRO or TRP has.  The finish on the TRP will hold up longer, but only girly-men like guns with clean finishes.
64 shots off-hand rapid fire at 15 yards:
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:30:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I also chose the Warrior over the Springer.  I am very happy with my choice
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm very happy with my TRP Operator

VERY HAPPY  

Mark
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey dsg2003gt, I didn't mean to upset you.  Streetsweeper1980 asked, "What would you choose and why?"  I figured he was looking for different people's opinions and  something to back it up.  I gave my opinion and reasoning to back it up.  I don't expect you to agree with everything, but perhaps I can flush out my thoughts better here...

Quoted:
The Pro is NO WAY related to a TRP. Thats like saying a Springfield loaded or Colt 80 series is just as good as a Nighthawk.

The TRP was not designed "around the same specs" any more than its a 1911 with a 5'' barrel.

First, I never said the TRP was as good as a Pro, so your Colt/Nighthawk comment is unwarranted.  In fact, I specifically stated the differences, "the TRP you're considering is designed around the same specs as the SA Pro for a fraction of the cost. Though the TRP isn't entirely hand-fitted like the PRO, it is upgraded with more hand fitting than a standard factory pistol, as well as a 2 piece mag well, night sights, and better tuning internally. It has a quoted accuracy of 2.5" or better at 25 yards. (The Pro is 1.5" or better @ 25yds)."

As you can see, though I particularly stated their were differences in the PRO & TRP, the SA Custom Shop explains how the PRO & TRP are related.  The resultant difference between the two is one inch difference in accuracy.
I didn't just make this up.  Here's the info directly from the SA website:

"The TRP™ standard line is designed around the same specifications as the FBI contract pistol, the TRP-PRO MODEL™. The Springfield TRP™ offers nearly the same performance and features as the TRP-PRO MODEL™ at a fraction of the cost. From its fully checkered front strap and mainspring housing, to its durable Armory Kote™ Teflon or stainless steel finish, this gun can only be described as a knock-out value."   Here's the LINK so you can double check.
Furthermore, amongst other sources, here's an email from Deb at the Springfield Custom Shop noting some upgrades on the TRP as compared to the standard production "Loaded" models (including accuracy):

"Thank you for your interest in Springfield pistols! The TRP model has a better slide to frame fit, more internal fine tuning, and a better trigger pull than the standard "loaded" models. It also includes the front strap checkering and mag well. Quoted accuracy of the "loaded" models is 3.5" or better at 25 yards, while the TRP is quoted at 2.5" or better at 25 yards.

Deb, Custom Shop Coordinator
Springfield Armory"

Quoted:
The frames on TRPs are mass produced by Imbel whereas the Pro is made in house at Springfield, the barrels on TRPs are the same old springfield stainless barrel(no Nowlin barrel), the ejectors are not pinned(and I have seen them come up and wiggle around), the triggers are not as finely tuned on the TRP.

Actually, both the PRO & TRP have match barrels & bushings, but you're correct, the Pro has a Nowlin Match Barrel while Deb at the Springfield Custom Shop refers to the TRP barrel as a "factory match barrel & bushing" (I believe the TRP has a Storm Lake Barrel & Bushing)(definitely better than the Loaded model, but not rising to the level of the Pro's Nowlin). On the other hand, as I've been saying, you be the judge, the quoted difference is ONE INCH (1.5" groups @ 25yds for the Pro & 2.5" groups @ 25 yds for the TRP).

Quoted:
btw, posting a picture of your pro with your group says absolutely nothing about the topic at hand which is TRP vs Warrior.

Sure it does, it backs up what Springfield says about the PRO (1.5 inches @ 25yards) and by analogy, the TRP (2.5" @ 25 yards).  NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE.  What I've been saying all along.

As for your, 64 shots off-hand rapid fire at 15 yards, hats off to you, that's not bad.

Streetsweeper1980, here's the link Burkey mentioned to the  recent thread where the TRP is the thread favorite despite many compliments to the warrior.  LINK

Good Luck to you and SHOOT THE HELL OUTTA IT, WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been thinking about getting a Desert Warrior. The problem is I really prefer having a mag well and the Warrior doesn't have one.

I bought a TRP (no rail) back in 2002. It has 13,000+ rounds through it. Broke the extractor around the 6k count. Broke a firing pin spring around the same time.

The gun has been basically flawless with all ammo (various HP's included) except WinClean. So I don't buy WinClean.

The TRP is going to Springfield Custom shop to get a full upgrade to Pro specs. My only fear is it won't be as dependable as it has been in the past when I get it back. Something to be said for a gun that always goes boom when you pull the trigger.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The TRP is going to Springfield Custom shop to get a full upgrade to Pro specs. My only fear is it won't be as dependable as it has been in the past when I get it back. Something to be said for a gun that always goes boom when you pull the trigger.

If the SA Custom Shop is doing a full upgrade to complete Pro Specs, why would you fear unreliability, especially considering your TRP shot so many thousand flawless rounds?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#12]

If the SA Custom Shop is doing a full upgrade to complete Pro Specs, why would you fear unreliability, especially considering your TRP shot so many thousand flawless rounds?

You know the old adage, if it ain't broke don't fix it!!

I know it is a baseless fear, the Custom Shop does top notch work.

None of the Glock guys I shoot with can make fun of 1911's choking when I am around. They have seen my gun going and going and going without a hitch.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I know of all the differences and similarities, but the fact remains the PRO is a much better pistol than the TRP and should not be compared.

I dont care what Springfield says "about being designed around the same specifications" because all they are saying is that it is a 1911. The quality of workmanship of the PRO versus the TRP is unbelievable and is just as good as any custom gun maker out there.

All I was alluding to was that the PRO is a much higher quality pistol and cannot be directly compared to any of their lower line models.

Also any 1911 over $1000 should should shoot 2.5'' or better.

ETA: "

First, I never said the TRP was as good as a Pro, so your Colt/Nighthawk comment is unwarranted. In fact, I specifically stated the differences"

The thread was about TRP vs Warrior, not PRO vs TRP. That is why I replied like I did above.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I asked this same question not long ago. I chose the TRP strictly because I liked the feel and the overall construction better, both are great guns. I alreardy had a TLE/RL II in 4" so for some reason I felt like I would be buying the same gun twice. The TRP Operator has been the most accurate hand gun I have ever fired by a long ways. Its accuracy has bested my other pistols including my Kimber by quite a bit. Unlike my TLE (which has a good operational record compared to other 1911's I have owned) it has never malfunctioned, not one misfeed even when it was breaking in (which its still doing). I couldnt be more happy with it.

Obligitory Pic

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Warrior. Had a TRP that was a nightmare, maybe just a lemon but it soured me on Springfields..LL

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I know of all the differences and similarities, but the fact remains the PRO is a much better pistol than the TRP and should not be compared.

First, I did point out one misunderstanding (and I'm not picking on you, just trying to be clear for other advice seeking readers); in your original post you thought the TRP had the "same old springfield stainless barrel" when in fact it has an upgraded Match Barrel & Bushing (not the Nowlin like on the PRO, but an upgraded Storm Lake Barrel & Bushing), per Deb at the Springfield Custom Shop.

Secondly, I did not point the differences & similarities out to teach you, it was in response to you originally claiming, "The Pro is NO WAY related to a TRP."

Make no mistake, the PRO is top-of-the line, but also note, the TRP is next down the line in the Springfield line-up.
I realize the PRO is a much more meticulously and painstakingly hand-crafted weapon with superior parts and finish, that's why I bought it over the TRP.  But you're making my exact point; for someone not in the $2000 PRO market, despite all the spectacular upgrades and hand-fitting on the impressive PRO, we're still talking a one inch difference in performance @ 25 yds.

That just might be a consideration for Streetsweeper1980 or anyone else considering a TRP.  If you don't care and want to write it off or don't think it carries much weight, so be it,  but please don't flippantly state it should not be compared.  The comparison might  hold value for someone else.

Quoted:
I dont care what Springfield says "about being designed around the same specifications" because all they are saying is that it is a 1911. The quality of workmanship of the PRO versus the TRP is unbelievable and is just as good as any custom gun maker out there.

Again, you're entitled to your own opinion, and it's agreed the Pro is a major step above; but you originally claimed, the TRP was not designed "around the same specs" as the PRO, but when I pointed out the quote came directly from the Springfield website and an email from the SA Custom Shop Coordinator, now you "don't care what Springfield says "about being designed around the same specifications" because all they are saying is that it is a 1911."

C'mon man, that's beyond ridiculous.  If they were just saying the TRP is "designed around the same specs" as the Pro simply to say it is a 1911, as you claim, they would have described all their 1911's that way.  Check the SA website, the TRP is the only one described that way as it is the only model directly behind the PRO in the Springfield Armory 1911 line-up.

Quoted:
Also any 1911 over $1000 should should shoot 2.5'' or better.

I would agree, and that's why in my original post I pointed out how the very best pistol Kimber submitted to the FBI contract contest,  presumably a higher end custom job than the Warrior, was the worst performer, shooting 3.5" groups @ 25 yards according to FBI records.   (Frankly, IMHO, that's still a hell of a group @ 25 yards). Here's the article again, if you care to read it. LINK

That's why IT IS a relevant comparison that the PRO is a mere one inch better than the TRP @ 25 yds and the TRP is one inch better than the best custom pistol Kimber could submit to the FBI contract contest.  

All in all, not many of us are capable of shooting that well anyway, so it truly is one's personal preference.  To each their own, but Streetsweeper1980 wanted opinions backed up with information, so I gave it to him and to you or anyone else who might care.

Be well...

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I got the TRP Operator because it seemed to have a better set of features from the factory.
I bought mine from another ARF'er

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I got the TRP Operator because it seemed to have a better set of features from the factory.

www.selfdefenseforums.com/images/operator1_600.jpg

Those grips are not supposed to be on that weapon. The grips are used by the Marine's for their Kimber Warriors.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those grips are not supposed to be on that weapon. The grips are used by the Marine's for their Kimber Warriors.

Kimber doesn't offer the Gunner grips, and the DET-1 pistols they were used on are not the same as the Warrior. The Warrior uses knock off Gunner Grips.

I just saw some Pachmayr's on a Kimber. I better go tell that guy he can't use them as they were used on the Marine's Springfields.

I'd go with the TRP. The only real complaint I have with the TRP is that it's supposed to be a "Tactical" gun but comes with sharp nasty target sights. In all reality, the Kimber Warrior is more equal to the MC Operator than the TRP Operator. (MC stands for "Marine Corps" if I recall correctly, even though it has many different features from the actually delivered pistol.)
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:02:31 AM EDT
[#20]
threads like this are tough for me.  I wish I could afford a High-End 1911 but who has $2,000 bucks to blow?

If I had the money:
A Nighthawk GRP would be tough to beat, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kimber doesn't offer the Gunner grips, and the DET-1 pistols they were used on are not the same as the Warrior. The Warrior uses knock off Gunner Grips.

I just saw some Pachmayr's on a Kimber. I better go tell that guy he can't use them as they were used on the Marine's Springfields.

Hey Burkey!!!

I LIKE my double diamond pattern grip panels!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I actually like the idea of adjustable night sights.  I personally believe all handgun sights should be adjustable.  To me that is one of the selling points for the TRP Operator.

Thanks guys.  I appreciate all the feedback.  Like I said, I like both pistols.  I think I'm leaning towards the Operator.  I think the bull barrel and adjustable sights are the finishers for me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I actually like the idea of adjustable night sights.  I personally believe all handgun sights should be adjustable.  To me that is one of the selling points for the TRP Operator.

Thanks guys.  I appreciate all the feedback.  Like I said, I like both pistols.  I think I'm leaning towards the Operator.  I think the bull barrel and adjustable sights are the finishers for me.

Just remember adjustable sights come unadjusted quite often, especially the ones with the sharp edges that tend to catch on everything.  Fixed sights that are installed right for POA/POI are better for a carry gun, one less thing to worry about...adjustable sights have to many moving parts and should not be on a carry/combat gun, just my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Just remember adjustable sights come unadjusted quite often, especially the ones with the sharp edges that tend to catch on everything.  Fixed sights that are installed right for POA/POI are better for a carry gun, one less thing to worry about...adjustable sights have to many moving parts and should not be on a carry/combat gun, just my opinion.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top