Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 6:40:10 PM EDT
Well brought out my TLE out again after recievinga new slide release from Kimber [ prolblems with premature slide lock] Well the first 100 rounds were fine then over the coarse of 50 rounds  2 premature slide locks,6 failures to feed, and 2 failure to ejects,the last 80 rounds were fine, this would make around 600 rounds through it .This is a $1000 pistol that I was going to use as a bedroom gun I'm losing my faith with Kimbers ever though my eclipse pro has been flawless. What should I do with this gun?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you using good mags?  Has anybody else shot it, maybe your weak wristing sometimes?  Have you tried different types of ammo?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Let e guess....external extractor?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Three different mags [which worked perfect in my eclipse],three different shooters, blazer and winchester ammo [which also was flawless in the eclipse] and yes it the external extractor.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well brought out my TLE out again after recievinga new slide release from Kimber [ prolblems with premature slide lock] Well the first 100 rounds were fine then over the coarse of 50 rounds  2 premature slide locks,6 failures to feed, and 2 failure to ejects,the last 80 rounds were fine, this would make around 600 rounds through it .This is a $1000 pistol that I was going to use as a bedroom gun I'm losing my faith with Kimbers ever though my eclipse pro has been flawless. What should I do with this gun?

When you cleaned the gun, were there excessive brass marks on the slide release?  Kimber for some reason makes their slide releases with a little too much metal.  You can keep shooting and the problem will resolve on its own by breaking in this part.  Or, you can take some real fine sand-paper and a little oil and polish just enough to remove the brass marks.  This excess metal is just enough to catch the nose of the round and prematurely activate the slide release.  And when it does not activate the release it can knock the round off center to cause a failure to feed.

As for the failures to eject, if it is an external extractor model, change the extractor spring with a Wolff.  I have a TLEII (external), while I have never had a failure to extract I did replace all of the springs with ones from Wolff.  When the gun was new I never had problems, but with the better springs from Wolff the gun does seem to cycle smoother and more precise.

I hope this info helps
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#6]
ive got a TLE II w/internal and ive ran atleast 600 rounds of remington UMC 230gr. fmj and zero problems......but then i tried CCI blaser and i had 1 premature locking. did it do it with the other ammo?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:45:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I have seen this before. I am with SGB, send the thing back to Kimber. Charles.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have seen this before. I am with SGB, send the thing back to Kimber. Charles.

+2
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:37:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you cleaned the gun, were there excessive brass marks on the slide release?  Kimber for some reason makes their slide releases with a little too much metal.  You can keep shooting and the problem will resolve on its own by breaking in this part.  Or, you can take some real fine sand-paper and a little oil and polish just enough to remove the brass marks.  This excess metal is just enough to catch the nose of the round and prematurely activate the slide release.  And when it does not activate the release it can knock the round off center to cause a failure to feed.

As for the failures to eject, if it is an external extractor model, change the extractor spring with a Wolff.  I have a TLEII (external), while I have never had a failure to extract I did replace all of the springs with ones from Wolff.  When the gun was new I never had problems, but with the better springs from Wolff the gun does seem to cycle smoother and more precise.

I hope this info helps

Same problem I had with the slide stop on my 1911 and my CZ97B.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top