Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 2:19:18 PM EDT
I have a TLE/RL and run Wilson combaqt 47D's. When I press the magazine catch the mag will drop about 1/4 of an inch and get hung up. I can feel the mag hanging up on the  release button. I tried several different magazines from other guys on my team and they all felt the same. I also tried another mag release from my buddies TLE and it was the same thing.

I know this sounds crazy but it drops the mags fine when the slide is forward, but when the slide is locked to the rear they hang up.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this? I cleaned the mag well and the mag catch and still had the same problem.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#1]
No one can help?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Look down or up the mag funnel with the slide pulled back or off.
You're looking to see if the trigger bars are flush with the frame if not you can pull the trigger out and check if the trigger bars are straight.  If they are straight your frame may not be milled correctly so send back to Kimber.

I had this problem with a Colt.  It turned out that my frame slots for the trigger bars were not milled deep enouph.

It could be that your mag well is too tight.

The reason your mag drops out when the slide is forward, is that you have more spring tension due to the slide stop not being in it's most up position with the slide forward.
With the slide locked back the slide stop goes up higher into the frame notch to lock the slide back so you get less spring tension.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I just looked at  a newer Kimber TLE/RL today at an indoor range and noticed that the sear spring was inside of the mag well.  The owner was shooting next to me and complaining of the same as you about his magazines not dropping.

So the owner let me take it apart and we noticed that the middle leg which is for the trigger was not set properly.  It was bowed in too much.  

I took his out and gave him an extra I had in my bag.  I set it up for him and lightened his trigger pull a little.  He was so much happier with his pistol.  His trigger was better and his mags dropped free.

Something to look for.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#4]
That was one of the many problems I had with both of my Kimber’s.  But then again with the two I owned I was cursed!  One of them had something to do with what was listed above about something not sitting flush.  The other one had to have the internal part of the actual well re-machined.  Apparently the mag well had not been machined out enough and although you could force a mag into it (not all mags) it was very difficult to get back out by hand.  I had to use a pair of pliers to accomplish it.    

I hope things have changed since I tried to do business with them because I wanted to like Kimber weapons real bad but the company ruined it for me.  Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top