Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 2/14/2016 4:00:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2016 4:21:11 PM EDT by Tango_6]
I have been searching youtube for videos to see which one will fit my needs the best. The pistol is a G19 but I also have a Mk25.  It will be for HD and ccw. The only thing is the x300 ultra is 209 on amazon and the xc1 is 269.. What do you have and why? Do you like it?   BTW I am a left handed shooter.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:36:01 PM EDT
Well, take it for what its worth, I can tell you why I decided against all of them, save for the xc-1. The biggest thing for me was controls. I hate the whole rotating selector because if I switch hands I need to remember that the controls are reversed. The xc-1 kinda solves that, but you need to remove your firing grip all together to activate constant on.

The other thing was that they're too bright. I'm not going to claim that a bright flashlight will blond you as much as the assailant because ive never had a midnight encourage in a dark room. I will say, that I was put off by the small hot spots on the tlr 1 and x300, I wanted more room fill. The x300 had a pretty good room fill, but just a crazy bright hot spot. The tlr 1 is a bigger and fuzzier hot spot, but less room fill. Personally I settled on a Gen 2 inforce APL, but that's just me. Any of them are great choices.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:59:36 PM EDT
Get the X300. Being a lefty I doubt you would find many holster options yet for the XC1. I absolutely love my X300. The switch is great too. Press it for momentary. Then flip it up or down on either side for constant on.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 5:56:54 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigbryce31186:
Get the X300. Being a lefty I doubt you would find many holster options yet for the XC1. I absolutely love my X300. The switch is great too. Press it for momentary. Then flip it up or down on either side for constant on.
View Quote

Bravo makes holsters for the XC1 but I would have to get my trigger finger up there to turn it on. thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 6:02:42 PM EDT
My .02 would be the XC1 on the 19, and the X300 or TLR on the full size.

Originally Posted By Beetlebz:
Well, take it for what its worth, I can tell you why I decided against all of them, save for the xc-1. The biggest thing for me was controls. I hate the whole rotating selector because if I switch hands I need to remember that the controls are reversed. The xc-1 kinda solves that, but you need to remove your firing grip all together to activate constant on.

The other thing was that they're too bright. I'm not going to claim that a bright flashlight will blond you as much as the assailant because ive never had a midnight encourage in a dark room. I will say, that I was put off by the small hot spots on the tlr 1 and x300, I wanted more room fill. The x300 had a pretty good room fill, but just a crazy bright hot spot. The tlr 1 is a bigger and fuzzier hot spot, but less room fill. Personally I settled on a Gen 2 inforce APL, but that's just me. Any of them are great choices.
View Quote

If you want a real good light with a lot of flood, try the TLR-1HL. It doesn't have the hot spot of the X300 ultra.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 2:30:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2016 2:32:13 AM EDT by FullMetalAR]
Originally Posted By Tango_6:
I have been searching youtube for videos to see which one will fit my needs the best. The pistol is a G19 but I also have a Mk25.  It will be for HD and ccw. The only thing is the x300 ultra is 209 on amazon and the xc1 is 269.. What do you have and why? Do you like it?   BTW I am a left handed shooter.
View Quote

My advice would be go with the Inforce APL. Bright enough without being too bright, big paddles that are easy to use for lefties, and slim enough to carry everyday. I carry one on a G19 daily and have had absolutely no issues with it. There are few people that can carry a TLR or X300 in the waistband comfortably, they are longer and much wider than the APL.

I would be lying if i said I havent given thought to picking up an XC1. Ive played with one a couple times and im not sure that the constant on thing would be a huge issue for me honestly. It is a tad shorter than the APL and would be even more comfortable to carry, especially appendix.

*Edited to clarify some crappy wording.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 2:44:14 AM EDT
I happen to have all 3 and use them on G19 and M&P 9. So here is my opinion:

The TLR and x300 are big heavy lights that are uncomfortable to carry either IWB or OWB.

They are also wider than the pistol so holsters retain from the light.

The XC-1 is nowhere near as bright, and more of a flood than spot type output.

The XC-1 is also about the same width as a 19 so the holster retains the gun, I can shake my BCA upside down without the light mounted it maintains retention.

For me the trade off in light output is offset by the smaller size and weight of the light which means I always carry w/a WML now.

I don't buy into the need to shoot across a movie theater.

XC-1 holster: Bravo BCA

TLR/x300 holsters: RCS Phantom
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:58:00 PM EDT
The only worry I have about the XC-1 is the constant power on I would have to take my shooting hand off the pistol. I don't know much about the inforce, Got pics?
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:33:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:

If you want a real good light with a lot of flood, try the TLR-1HL. It doesn't have the hot spot of the X300 ultra.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

All this right here.  

I have the TLR-1 and x300 and the Tlr-1 would be the carry and the x300 for HD but I will get the XC1 at some point.  The XC1 can be had for $199 if you look around
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:09:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2016 10:13:00 PM EDT by Tango_6]
Originally Posted By gotuonpaper:

All this right here.  

I have the TLR-1 and x300 and the Tlr-1 would be the carry and the x300 for HD but I will get the XC1 at some point.  The XC1 can be had for $199 if you look around
View All Quotes

All this right here.  

I would buy it for 199. Optics planet and amazon are 269.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:01:51 PM EDT
I have a few requests for the XC1....

It resides on my CZ P-07 and I like it, with that said

-Make the momentary both up and down on both sides like the X300 and possibly constant on also.  But at least make momentary work both ways, would love to rock one on an SBR'd 12 o'clock rail for HD.

-Squeeze another 50-100 lumens, if they can.  At 200 it's just about perfect for pitch black HD but at my indoor range with incandescent dim lights I've noticed the flood of the XC1 tends to get washed out.  This is an issue when I'm trying to practice momentary while pulling the trigger and I can't tell if I'm activating the light with certainty.  Muscle memory and all that.

-Move the mounting screw back or something.  We all know this is a G19 light and it may fit all the others, but honestly, not much smaller than a G19, and this light doesn't fit A LOT of pistols.  That's an issue IMHO if Surefire is marketing this as their compact light, ideal for compact guns, to help with concealing...

But all in all, it's a good "GEN 1" effort and I hope they make some positive changes.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:03:01 PM EDT

View All Quotes

All this right here.  

Optics Planet has that FLASH20 sale every now and then, and that's how I got mine when it first came out, which is 20% off or so.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:17:43 AM EDT
The only worry I have about the XC-1 is the constant power on I would have to take my shooting hand off the pistol. I don't know much about the inforce, Got pics?
View Quote

I suck with internet stuff, and cant hotlink it for you but here is a ARF review. The only difference to the current APL is the mount, which is a more secure screw type now. They can be had for 100 bucks or a tad over if you are patient and look around.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_20/595660_INFORCE_APL__Auto_Pistol_Light__Review_and_Pics.html
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 8:48:34 PM EDT
I'm interested in what you (and others) see as a scenario where a XC-1 carried for CCW would come into play. If we are matching the gear to the mission, what's the mission?

Do you anticipate the use of that firearm being reactive or proactive in nature?

How does a handheld light play into any possible scenario that might also involve a WML?

What do the lighting conditions dictate in terms of the type of crime being perpetrated?

If it's light enough for us to be targeted, wouldn't it be light enough for us to respond without a WML?

If it's too dark for us to id someone we think might be a threat, shouldn't the first light we put on that person be a handheld, not a WML?

How much of a liability is requiring both hands on the gun to operate the WML?

Originally Posted By GMZ:
I don't buy into the need to shoot across a movie theater.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:36:24 PM EDT
X300U/X300U-B hands down the best pistol lights on the market!
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:45:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2016 9:26:10 PM EDT by FP2000H]
I prefer the controls on the Surefire myself, but Streamlight makes a good light.

I really want an XC-1 because I carry a G19, and it was basically made for that gun. Up until now, I had been using a TLR-3 but I was never satisfied with it. I always thought it should sit further back than it did on my M&Pc. I never put it on the 19; it currently wears an X-300.

The ultras are nice, too. Honestly, I would want both. An XC-1 for IWB conceal carry or as compact OWB as you could get. The X-300U would be more of a home light of for times when OWB carrying that amount of light would be necessary. The X-300U is a lot of light, though. My only concern would be is it too much for indoors? The XC-1 gives you 200 lumens, I think. I think my current X-300 is only around 170 lumens.

Here's a really good review of the XC1.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:05:02 AM EDT
So I had a coupon code for SF and broke down and ordered an XC1, here are my thoughts:

- Still has the warmer yellow hue to it that SF is known for, not white like the APL.
- As slim and lightweight as described, really slick on the gun.
- Much more wash, as opposed to a tighter "hot spot" on the APL. This part I actually don't like as well as the APL, feels like it floods almost too much in an open setting.
- Activation switch toggles down on both sides, which I like more than the press forward of my X300 and is easily activated by support thumb.

Overall it is a nice little light, and will make its way into my EDC rotation as soon as I get a holster fitted for it. Its not "movie theater carry" nor is it a great rifle light, but IMO its great for what it was designed for. A close-range weapons light intended for everyday carry.
Top Top