Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/1/2005 12:51:09 PM EDT
I am going to mount a light on my HD pistol (1911). I've narrowed it down to either the Surefire X200 or the P101/111 series. Does anyone have any experience with either light? The X200 seems like the way to go but very early on in their production one of my shooting friends bought one and after a few hundred rounds it broke. Is this common? It got me worried and leaning towards the P101/111 series.

Thoughts, experiences?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:51:11 PM EDT
Although I have no experience with either, I would pick the X200. I'll be making a X200 purchase in the near future for my HK.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:12:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2005 7:19:11 PM EDT by TxDoc]
I have experience only with the SureFire X200B. I had a Glock brand white light and wanted to try the SureFire. I have other SureFire products and know they seem costly, but always end up being worth the extra cost. Same here.

It is an LED and is not prone to the shock-induced failures with conventional lights with a filament. The light is a bluish light with a brighter center and a wide beam. The beam is not adjustable. It will blind you if you are looking at it when it is activated. The "B" version is the newest and is a 5 watt vs a 3 watt for the "A" version. As with other SureFire products, the fit and finish are great. I am glad I tried the X200B and would do it again.

I bought mine thru http://www.brightflashlights.com , a member on here-"Brightflashlights". Do a search for his name and see the comments about him. Google "brightflashlights" and you will get the same. I got prompt service, accurate order and kept aprised of my order status. Very good folks to deal with.

Check and see what others think about the other light, too. Hopefully, some folks will have both and give you a head to head comparison.

You may look at these articles/reviews, too:

http://www.gun-tests.com/pub/17_7/features/5261-1.html

http://www.imagometrics.com/FLReviews/FL_Stuff_2.htm

Good luck on your info search. Whatever you chose, a light will be a good investment.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:41:23 PM EDT
I personally would pick the X200A. But I would suggest you try to get your hands on both the "A" and "B" models at a shop or show and choose for yourself. The spill offered by the "B" model appeals to some, while others prefer the tight focused beam of the "A" model, myself included.

With the nitrolon lights if size isn't going to be an issue as it's a dedicated "light" gun, or if you prefer the incandescent light output then it's not a bad choice either, I just prefer the smaller profile of the X200's. I feel that the light output from the X200's is well matched to the role of the handgun, particularly indoors.

In regards to your friends X200 that broke, did we take care of it? If not have him e-mail me.

Regards,
Alan Elam
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:09:30 AM EDT
i've got one of the nitrolin lights for my 1911-very pleased w/ it. i went through dawson precision so that i could get a really good rail/dismounting option (dismounted for ccw).

i prefer the nitrolin slimline switch over the x200's switch. at work, we have the m3's w/ a somewhat similar button set up as the early x200 (one w/out the x200 version of a slimline-but from accounts that i have heard, the x200 slimline takes using your support hand to press, or extending your middle finger forward to reach it, therefore compromising your grip IMO). i like to be able to squeeze the switch with my gun hand middle finger, while it is in position on the grip.

i do wish that i could hit the disable button w/ one hand though-you can turn it on w/ your trigger finger but it takes my support hand to turn it off again (if i need to, it would be nice to have).

the long life of the led would be nice, but i like the beam shape, color and range of the standard bulb over the led.
Top Top