Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 11:55:49 PM EDT
I have a 400 dollar limit I have imposed upon myself.  I really cannot afford to spend anything over that.  I need a new handgun, and am totally open to suggestions as I honestly have limited experiance with handguns. (Limited to the M9 and FN 5.7)  I have done some reading here, but I want to hear some suggestions, and maybe get some links to where I can find what they suggest?  I wanted a AO/Kahr 1911A1 WWII parked model, but I cannot find them in stock anywhere for a reasonable price.  I am heading back to school (outside my state of residence) January 2nd, so I can't really wait unless I am waiting til summer.  What say ye?

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:40:15 AM EDT
[#1]
That's like saying, "I have $20,000. What car should I get?

I think you need to narrow it down.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#2]
well aside from used pistols there are 2 brands that jump out at me in that price range--ruger and cz.  the cz75 is one of the greatest pistols to come out of europe since ww2.  just get the standard model and not the p-01 unless you really really want the rail.  they are about the most comfortable pistols out there too.  as far as the rugers most of their pistol line can be found for under your price limit.  they are ugly but overbuilt and virtually impossible to break.  and if by some chance you do, their customer service is second to none and should be par for the industry.

and do you have any reqs as far as caliber, capacity, size, etc?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want a 1911 style pistol, try a SA Mil-Spec, most places have them near $400, and they are much better than the Kahr/AO offerings.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Run as fast and far away from the AO 1911 WWII model as you can.  The one I had had more problems than was worth it.  The heat treating on it was bad and the slide lock, safety, firing pin and slide had to be replaced.  All that went bad within 1000 rounds (910 to be exact).  It really soured me on the 1911 until I got a much better Springfield one.

I've heard much better things about the SA WWII model for a similar price so you might want to look in that direction.

I'm also going to give a big +1 on the CZ.  Because if you're looking for a solid pistol in the $400 range I'd seriously look at a CZ75B since its probably the best pistol you can buy for the money.  They've quite accurate, reliable and built like a tank.  Poke around as used ones turn up for decent prices (around $300) now and again.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#5]
if he has limited experience and budget it might be a good idea to stick to 9mm.  it is cheaper to shoot by a couple $ over the .45acp.  and imho for a beginner it is easier to shoot.  i am not saying that there is anything wrong with drinking the jmb koolaid but it ain't for me and might not be the best idea for a newbie.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That's like saying, "I have $20,000. What car should I get?

I think you need to narrow it down.

I would like it to be in 9mm, .45, or .357 SIG.  While I was leaning towards the 1911, I would prefer a higher capacity. (15+).  I'll look into the CZ, I have read a few good things about them.  I am iffy on the ruger idea, but will look into it as well.

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Lots of GLOCK Law enforcement trade-ins that GLOCK will recondition at no charge in that price range in any of the calibers you have mentioned.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#8]
police trade in glock 17 or a CZ75 would work great for you.  CDNN has trade in sig pistols for good prices as well, and would probably come in close to the $400 budget after ffl fee and whatnot
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Let me say ... for that price range, you CANNOT BEAT a CZ75B 9mm.  It is the quality of pistols $200 or $300 higher in price.
Fine quality and accurate as hell!
Go with a CZ75B...... You will not regret it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top