User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/21/2016 8:11:38 PM EDT
My buddy showed me his only gun today, a Cobra .380

Needless to say I'm helping him buy something new
It will be home defense only, probably not CCW at this point

S&W SDVE, surplus 9x18s from AIM, what else is there these days in 9mm or 40sw?

Honestly though, is it better to get him to snag a Chinese 18" 12g?

An Anderson lower will be part of the equation as well, I need to get him hooked on BRD

We're trying to schedule a range day so he can shoot my pistols and ARs
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Sd9ve is a good bet
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My buddy showed me his only gun today, a Cobra .380

Needless to say I'm helping him buy something new
It will be home defense only, probably not CCW at this point

S&W SDVE, surplus 9x18s from AIM, what else is there these days in 9mm or 40sw?

Honestly though, is it better to get him to snag a Chinese 18" 12g?

An Anderson lower will be part of the equation as well, I need to get him hooked on BRD

We're trying to schedule a range day so he can shoot my pistols and ARs
View Quote

You can find used glock 19's for 350 occasionaly, hard to beat that. A ruger p95 used to be 329 NEW so under 300 for a used one shuld be doable and they had a leg up on the glocks in the cudgel department.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#3]
You can get a P-series Ruger in 9mm used for sub 300 all day.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Plenty of opinions will rise. SCCY 9MM is a good option. Solid little pistol, but enough grip for a "regular" size hand to hold the thing. It holds 10 +1 so it has a reasonable capacity.
$300 should get you out the door new and if you shop, with a box of cheap ammo.

Shotguns are kind of tricky. An American brand can be had for a reasonable price, but too may think they are magical and don't need to be aimed or practiced with. Oh well, that is a different rant.

Happy Shopping

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Canik TP9SA
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#6]
many large gun stores buy police trade in glocks. my LGS has them for $333

new id look at a Canik. fantastic pistol for the money.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sd9ve is a good bet
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#8]
The pt111 g2 is $200, its getting good feedback.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Canik TP9SA
View Quote

This. I think the SCCY is a decent pistol(long kinda heavy DA trigger) but for a tad more $$ you can do much better.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Canik TP9SA
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:03:11 AM EDT
[#11]
SD9 for the Best Buy.  I see them sub $300 from time to time.

Lifetime warranty by Smith & Wesson.

Gets a lot of crap flung at it for the double action revolver style trigger (which is designed to be safer for defense situations than a 3 lb hair trigger)

holds 16+1 of 9mm.   Good Solid Gun that goes BANG every time!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:02:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Hi-Point
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:20:18 AM EDT
[#13]
What about one of the CDNN Walthers?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Friends don't let friends by Taurus...

Quoted:
Sd9ve is a good bet

Quoted:
Canik TP9SA

Either one of these would be a good choice

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Wait for a sale and get a LC9S or 9MM Shield for 50 bucks more.I see them for 350 and less all the time.

PSA has a sale right now. http://palmettostatearmory.com/ruger-pistol-lc9s-striker-fired-9mm-3235.html
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
This

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Taurus PT-111 G2 is around $200-$250 depending on where you find it and they get good reviews.  It's Taurus's answer to the Glock 19 for the economically challenged.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Summit had .40 glocks for $300-$350.

Worth the extra $50
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I've seen some sales on FNS40s for around $350.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#20]
There are some CZ clones for like $220. I'll get you the link when I'm not on mobile.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not a Taurus fan, but..

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Gets a lot of crap flung at it for the double action revolver style trigger (which is designed to be safer for defense situations than a 3 lb hair trigger)

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I know he is looking for a handgun, but these look good too.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/hawk-12-ga-978-pump-3inch-black-poly
https://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/?manufacturer=286

You said it was for home defense correct?

Police Trade In Glock 22s are also a good choice.

EAA CZ Clones can be found cheap too.

Neat looking Sig clone, unaware if it takes sig magazines though

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2083_678/products_id/88296/Chiappa+Firearms+440032+MC27+Tactical+9mm+3.9%22+15+1+Adj+Sigh
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Canik tp9sf, that trigger is smooth.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Canik TP9 or used glock.  Forget the sd9ve or p-series.  They're ugly lumps.  They go bang, but zero sexy factor. The only other option is looking for something like the surplus cz75's from overseas LEO.  Some places have new cz p07's for a little over 400.  Go over 300 if you have to, it's worth spending an extra 50 bucks if necessary to get something that he will enjoy shooting and become proficient with.  

I'd give a long look at one of these, if buying new.  Stick to 9mm in whatever you get for cheap ammo.  

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/06/jeremy-s/gun-review-canik-tp9sa/

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

p-series.  They're ugly lumps.  They go bang, but zero sexy factor.

View Quote
sexy has nothing to do with protecting yourself.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#27]
For that price I would consider:

Used G22 (best pick)
Smith & Wesson Shield if you're lucky
Maverick 88 12ga
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd go with the Smith.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

True. There are nicer guns to shoot in that range though. And if this is going to be this guy's first gun, he'll be more likely to practice if he's shooting a nicer gun. Imo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:00:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Do you own a pseries?
Ever shoot one?

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Buds has police trade in M&P40 with 3 mags for $319 shipped
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sd9ve is a good bet

Just saw one yesterday for $259 I was thinking about it for the trunk. Hickok45 did a review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cleMs8xmqc
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Just saw one yesterday for $259 I was thinking about it for the trunk. Hickok45 did a review
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sd9ve is a good bet

they are good to go.  I had one for a while but sold it to my freind's cousin.  I painted my slide though as I can't stand the two tone look of that gun.  Also the M&P steel rear sight is a direct replacement for the plastic OEM one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#34]
S&W makes a solid pistol in the SD9VE and mags are inexpensive. The trigger is much better than the original series. I have an older S&W SW40VE but am getting used to the trigger and kind of like it. Stay away from Taurus. I bought a 85 series revolver and am having terrible c.s. from Taurus. I bought it new over the net from a dealer and noticed when I got home the frame sight/trough is off to the left and does not line up with the front sight. even the width of the top strap is smaller/thinner to another I compared it to. It was not sold as a second but a new model. So it is pretty much a point and shoot kind of gun. I bought it for a quick gun to get too around the house that is simple for everyone to use. I contacted Taurus and they said it is just the way it is. That says a lot about the quality of their product,never again.

Anyway, EAA makes a great gun(CZ clone) at a great price. I had one and did not have one issue with it. A family member liked it and could not afford more so I gave it to them.
I have heard good things about SAR pistols.

A Ruger P95 is a solid platform and will last him forever although a bit wide. The only downside is the cost of extra mags but pretty much every manufacturer's magazines are roughly the same price- between $35-45.00/piece.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I've had a Canik TP9SA for a few months and so far I'm liking the really great trigger. For range use you'd have to put a lot of money into anything else to get it to this level. Reliability has been perfect with all ammo types as well. Not as accurate as my HK USP 9mm but good. Only downside is parts availability for a Turkish gun. The Tristar CZ clones (Turkish) are also good values and a solid proven design.

I'm a big fan of Walther pistols as well and the PPX has been getting cheaper. But the PPX trigger isn't as nice as the PPQ or PPS. My gen 1 PPS has seen about 2k rounds and has broken in nicely, but the TP9SA still beats it out of the box. But still a well made pistol with good aprts availability.

I think the S&W or the Ruger 9E is also a good option as they're usually easy to find. Smith has a poor trigger and the Ruger accuracy is mediocre but both are reliable for SD use. But usually I see either of these for $350 and $450 will usually get you a new M&P or Ruger American which are a big step up in terms of ergonomics & trigger feel.

A friend of mine got a Stoeger Cougar 9mm on trade, new I've seen them for $300 and it was a pretty good shooter, very good accuracy and better than average fit n finish in that price range.

If a used Glock or S&W M&P is in your price range that may be your best bet. But in my area the used police Glocks seem to command a premium, I don't normally see them for less than $100 under NIB.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I just noticed on Gunbroker that Stoeger Cougar compact 9mm pistols are selling for $310.00 shipped NIB from a huge ffl dealer in Apopka Florida. They only have 4 left as I jsut bought one myself. They come with x2 mags and are da/sa with a slide safety/decocker. I had an original Beretta Cougar years ago and kick myself for selling it. The are very accurate and reliable. Stoeger is one of the many holdings of Beretta and parts can be found everywhere for them if you ever need them. They don't charge credit card fees and are a solid bunch to buy from. I have bought  many firearms from them over the years and their prices are really hard to beat on some items. It is made up of 6 or 7 stores with the largest one being in Apopka. I have no affiliation with them but I do recommend them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Canik TP9 of some flavor
Ruger 9E
SD9VE

My picks in order, I've owned all three. The TP9 even comes with a decent holster so you don't need to spend extra on one
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Surplus CZ75/85. CDI Sales on gb always has a nice selection.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

This is the answer
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#40]
SAR K2P
SAR B6P

TriStar (Canik) T-100
TriStar (Canik) C-100

Canik TP9, TP9SA, TP9SF, TP9v2

All are excellent guns, imo.

Had a PT111 G2, bought it a few months ago.  FTE problems (it also developed a broken mag release spring shortly after I received it).  I read/heard somewhere that Taurus's, in particular, need to be cleaned prior to your first range trip.  When I bought mine, I took it directly to the range and fired 50 rounds through it, no problem.  Took it home and cleaned it.  Next range trip it started having FTEs (along with the mag problem).  Sent it to Taurus, got it back a week later, but still had FTE trouble.  The last time I took it to the range I shot 4 mags worth of rounds, averaging about 5 FTEs with each mag.  Always wondered if I should have cleaned it prior to taking it to the range - maybe some grease or something worked into a bad area...but even so, I've never had a pistol behave so poorly, whether I cleaned it before shooting or not.  Last time I had ta similar issue, it was with a Springfield RO.  Shot it prior to cleaning it, but it was 100% after cleaning.

When it shot well, I really liked it - very accurate, good size with 12 round mag capacity.  I've thought about purchasing one again, but even if it shot well, in the back of my mind I would wonder how long it would be before there might be another malfunction.  Lots of people have great success with their Taurus pistols, shooting many thousands of rounds.  It just seems - for me - they are a somewhat riskier investment.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#41]
A friend's G2 had issues first time out. Turns out the firing pin channel had grease in it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Walther PPX .40

You are welcome

GREAT gun even at twice the money. If he doesn't want a .40 the 9mm is ~$20 more.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This is the answer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

This is the answer

I like mine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, the ergonomics of a slide mounted safety take a bit of training to use reliably and they are slower to use than a frame mounted unit.   Still good (reliable, accurate) guns though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Canik,  Sd9ve are good options.

I got my 1988 manufactured Gen 2 G19 for $300 used.... like well used -- slide finish worn off from heavy use, really bad (ugly but effective) stipple job, ugly duracoat on frame.  I re-stippled it, replaced the springs, and probably have 1500 rounds through it without a hiccup.  

Also, I'll get blasted for this probably, I've had great success with the Taurus 24/7.  Don't own one any more, but had a .45 and a 9mm in OSS and both were great guns.  never a failure over years..... but hard to find extra mags, holsters, etc.  That's why i dumped them for glocks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This  

YUP
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

YUP
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This  

YUP

.40 may be the way to go. Getting the 16+1 in CO will be a pain.
$279 as linked above for the Walther might be a good buy for him.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#48]
PD trade in Glock or M&P would be my choice.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Do you own a pseries?Ever shoot one?

View Quote

Nope. Yes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
S&W makes a solid pistol in the SD9VE and mags are inexpensive. The trigger is much better than the original series. I have an older S&W SW40VE but am getting used to the trigger and kind of like it. Stay away from Taurus. I bought a 85 series revolver and am having terrible c.s. from Taurus. I bought it new over the net from a dealer and noticed when I got home the frame sight/trough is off to the left and does not line up with the front sight. even the width of the top strap is smaller/thinner to another I compared it to. It was not sold as a second but a new model. So it is pretty much a point and shoot kind of gun. I bought it for a quick gun to get too around the house that is simple for everyone to use. I contacted Taurus and they said it is just the way it is. That says a lot about the quality of their product,never again.

Anyway, EAA makes a great gun(CZ clone) at a great price. I had one and did not have one issue with it. A family member liked it and could not afford more so I gave it to them.
I have heard good things about SAR pistols.

A Ruger P95 is a solid platform and will last him forever although a bit wide. The only downside is the cost of extra mags but pretty much every manufacturer's magazines are roughly the same price- between $35-45.00/piece.
View Quote

Except glocks.  Tanfolgio mags are also $25 everywhere. Canik tp9 mags are 24.99 all over. Same with a bunch of other guns that use Mecgar

It adds up. I hate spending 45 bucks on mags.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top