Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2007 4:51:47 AM EDT
I'd like to get my wife a handgun to carry in her vehicle/purse when she works late or feels she would like to have it on her.

She's tiny, I'm talking 5'2", 100lbs.  She's also new to firearms alltogether.  

Do you all think the XD sub-compact in .40S&W would work well for her? I assume the gun chambered in 9mm might be a better fit(or a different sub-compact all together), but I already stock .40S&W ammo (and dont forsee myself adding any other 9mm's to the family).

What direction do you think I should head? Are there other choices you think I should consider?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:32:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Consider that my 9mm Sub recoils about equally with my SIG 226 in .40 S&W.  I don't how sensitive she is about that but I have a friend who liked shooting everything I own but thought the XD sub was kinda unpleasant.  

Myself.... I don't have much issue with it, but it is louder and has more recoil than other 9mm handguns I've shot.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:08:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a XD9 SC and love it. It doesn't have any recoil to me at all. My wife loves it and she rarely goes shooting with me. I would highly recommend some Pierce mag extensions for the 10 round mags.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:56:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would highly recommend some Pierce mag extensions for the 10 round mags.

Those are great for reloads and practice but with the extended mag in the pistol it has almost the same grip size as the next size up.  

That said, there is nothing wrong with the XD if she likes it.  Just keep in mind that there are a metric ton of others in that size range.  Also I would suggest keeping it to 9mm as it is easier to shoot and a lot more pleasant.  Have her check out the Glock 26, CZ2075 Rami-P, HK P2000SK, and the Kahr P9 and PM9.  The last is definitely not fun to shoot but the P is not bad.  I have only suggested polymer guns as that is how you seem to be leaning.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll throw a Sig P239 in 9mm in the mix.  Wife loves hers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:03:01 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:

That said, there is nothing wrong with the XD if she likes it.  Just keep in mind that there are a metric ton of others in that size range.  Also I would suggest keeping it to 9mm as it is easier to shoot and a lot more pleasant.  Have her check out the Glock 26, CZ2075 Rami-P, HK P2000SK, and the Kahr P9 and PM9.  The last is definitely not fun to shoot but the P is not bad.  I have only suggested polymer guns as that is how you seem to be leaning.  

If you think the 9mm would be a better fit for her I will lean that way.  I am sure  know she would like less recoil.  

I was leaning towards polymer guns since they are lighter and more affordable, and sub-compact because of her small hand size.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:
I'll throw a Sig P239 in 9mm in the mix.  Wife loves hers.

I was also tossing that around.  I love my couple year old SigPro .40, but I dont have first hand knowledge of their current line.  I may need to visit a local shop and get a up close and personal look at a few of these handguns.

I've been drooling over a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP, for me, not her, but I cant afford to do more than drool right now, plus I'd feel better getting her setup with something right now anyways.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I bought a subcompact XD for my g/f. It sucked. The slide is a large and tall chunk of metal, it is basically the same dimensions as a Glock 19. The tall slide also makes the pistol have more felt recoil than most 9mm handguns. The XD also has a long trigger reset.

Plus the sights fell off.

Get a glock 19 instead or a 26.

+1 on the Glock 19!

I've tried to get my GF to shoot a PM9, Beretta 92, compact 1911(4'' barrel), .38 special revolver (3'' barrel), and a G-19.

PM9- she fired one round and refuses to ever shoot it again!  

Beretta- shot about half a mag but didn't like the trigger or the weight of the pistol(mostly the trigger though).

1911- picked it up but wouldn't shoot it because she said it was too heavy, though this was after she shot the PM9 so I think she was a little nervous.

.38 revolver enjoys shooting it.

G19 enjoys shooting it.

YMMV. Best bet is to have her shoot several pistols to see what she likes before plopping down the green on one.  That is unless you wan't an excuse to buy a pile of pistols!

ETA: Here's a similar post on the topic www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=10&t=42701
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I have it in 9mm and love it.  It's my regular carry weapon.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#10]
let HER pick a firearm that fits HER--trigger, grip, ergos, recoil characteristics (FWIW: most beginers tend to prefer lower recoiling cartriges; i'd start w/ 9mm), handling, etc

it may be a wheelgun, it may be an auto

glock, HK P2K, SW wheelguns/MP, and Sig are some others i'd look into

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I've run thousands of rounds through mine.   Sights are still on it.  Several people I know have done the same, the sights are still on theirs.  I doubt that sight shedding is a normal or common occurrence.  

That said the recoil issue is real.  I never had any issues on trigger reset though.  I can fire as fast as I can hit something.

Take the lady out to pick her own gun.  No matter how well you think you know her.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I highly reccomend a kahr p9.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I bought a subcompact XD for my g/f. It sucked. The slide is a large and tall chunk of metal, it is basically the same dimensions as a Glock 19. The tall slide also makes the pistol have more felt recoil than most 9mm handguns. The XD also has a long trigger reset.

Man, I love my XD-40SC.  I shoot it better than my Service model.  The Pearce grip extension on the 9 round mags make a world of difference for me, because I have somewhere to put my pinky instead of under the mag.  Trigger reset is a little long, and it's a chunky little fucker, but neither quality detracts from it's appeal for me.  Everyone has different perceptions about firearms, so I would recommend letting the wife handle and/or shoot a variety of guns before making a decision.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 4:34:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Not that I'm calling you a liar, but as tight as the sights on XDs are, I would have to see it to believe it.

ETA: Take the lady out with you and let her hold some weapons. This is what I did when I was looking at getting a sub-compact/compact pistol. When you do pick something, post some pics!
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:04:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I have a g17 and my GF has a XD9sc. Other than grip size, I see no significant difference in felt recoil or shootability between the two. I have demonstrated an ability to hit anything I shoot at with either. I do prefer the G17, but only because it has the longer grip and fits my hand better. I do not like the G19, either, because of grip length and the finger grooves on the Gen3 G19 do NOT fit my hand worth a damn. I did point my GF at one when she bought the XDsc, but she said she liked the XD better.

Really, I doubt you can go wrong with an XD9sc OR a G19, in this case. Just have her handle both, to see which she prefers. If you can have her shoot both beforehand, so much the better. If she likes both, the XD has the cost advantage (around here anyway, you can get an XD9sc for $50-100 less than a G19) and the Glock has the mag cost advantage. If you're not going to stock up on mags, the XD is probably more economical. If you are, the G19 will start to look better after a few mags.

I'd trust either in a self-defense situation and that's as good an endorsement as I can give a gun.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I would take her to get what she wants. If .40SW is too much, tone it down to 9mm. I pretty sure she would be more comfortable with a 9mm but if you have a deep wallet maybe a P239 9mm but really I would guess to put what is comfortable in her hands, thats what matters most I think.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys for all the insight and suggestions.  

I at least now have a few models to steer her towards, but will take her with me so she can pick what she feels most comfortable with.  

I dont have anything sub-compact for her to shoot, but I will take her out to shoot my 38, 40, and 45 pistols before going shopping since she's never even shot a handgun before.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#18]
A Karh in 9mm is my suggestion and what I did for my unskilled woman.  It's lack of levers and long smooth trigger pull were attractive.  I got the CW9 becasue it is a home defense piece, but you can get smaller to carry
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I would start her off with another weapon, maybe a .22 to teach her how to properly control it and such.  Then, it won't be as big of a deal to progress into a bigger caliber which will have more recoil.  My suggestion would be a Sig 239.  My fiance also had and liked a G26 at one time but ended up liking the 239 better.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm telling you the p9 or cw9 is light slim and easy to use. She tried my glock 26 but it was just way to thick and heavy for purse carry and for some reason she thinks it recoils harder than the p9. We have put about 900 rounds through that little thing and it bangs bangs every time. And the price seems to be coming down on them.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#21]
i vote xd or m&p.  

i would think the glock would be too big for her hands.  

the xd will have the extra saftey,  the m&p will be a little thinner, but longer

heres a crappy size comparison of the xd and mp.  

link
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#22]
The XD-9 subcompact is a great weapon. Do not own one but I've fired many, many rounds through my brother's and that turned me on to the 4" model. As a side note. I would highly suggest teaching your wife, if she is new to shooting, the fundementals using a revolver. If your range rents guns, I'd try them out. Start out with 22LR for the fundementals and work up to the larger round. The .38 is a small frame revolver can turn some new shooters off. My 2cents.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
A Kahr in 9mm is my suggestion and what I did for my unskilled woman.  It's lack of levers and long smooth trigger pull were attractive.  I got the CW9 becasue it is a home defense piece, but you can get smaller to carry

I agree here. My wifes fisrt carry gun was a subcompact XD9. She hated it. She tried my G19 and didn't like the feel of it. I ended up taking her to a gun show where she had to of fondled every handgun in the place before coming back to the Kahr. She now has over 1200rds through it and carries it daily. She went with the K9 but they make several polymer models also.

I agree with the others. Let her handle different handguns (and shoot if thats doable).

Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top