Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 9:46:59 AM EDT
I have a FNMI Hi-Power that is a project that I will tackle after some current projects are finished.  Stippling became more popular with Hi-Powers due to the fact it's next to impossible to checker around the serial number on the front strap.  

This particular gun has the serial number on the side, and I was going to checker it 40 lines per inch.  However, after recently stippling a .40 Hi-Power, I'm having second thoughts.  The stippling looks so good in person, I'm now thinking of going that route.

Both are relatively the same regarding grippiness.  Both will snag clothing about the same, though it's easier to make snag free checkering.  Checkering takes a little more concetration, but stippling takes a little more time.

So, what it comes down to is looks.  I don't have the proper fixtures for snakeskin or other treatments, so it's either going to be the checkering or the stippling.  I would like to hear what others say looks better.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I like checkering simply for the looks.

My .o2
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:20:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe I've just been subconciously indoctrinated, but IMHO, Hi Powers just look right with stippling while checkering just looks right on 1911s.  You can stipple a 1911 or checker a HP, but it just doesn't look quite as good.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:12:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Maybe I've just been subconciously indoctrinated, but IMHO, Hi Powers just look right with stippling while checkering just looks right on 1911s.  You can stipple a 1911 or checker a HP, but it just doesn't look quite as good.

I've come to feel the same way.  I think checkering is classier and in some ways, it's easier for me to do.  However, I've gotten used to seeing just stippled Hi-Powers, and the last one I did really looked nice once it was blued.

I'm so back and forth on this.  I have some time to figure it out though.  I'm going to put  this one off until I finish a 1911 for a friend, then two other 1911s.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I have heard many peopld will not checker the front strap on the Hi-Power because it is so thin in the front corners of the magazine. I have heard one gunsmith tell of a front strap coming off the gun while shooting.

I think it was on this forum:  www.louderthanwords.us/forum/
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]
They are thin, and some more than others.  However, 40 lines per inch is just fine, and will not dent nor come apart.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:47:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Hobbs,

I've already voiced my preference for stippling on Hi Powers.  But, I was thinking (yep, scary idea huh!)...you've already got one HP that has been stippled.  Why not try something different on this one and go with the 40 LPI checkering?

Cheers,
Eric
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:20:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Good point.  I miss that gun in the pic above.  I think I sold it for $400.  Big mistake.  Anyway, I've settled on checkering.  It will be ahwile though.  I have another Hi-Power I'm doing for a co-worker, and that one will be stippled.  

It's an older post T-series polished blue gun with those ugly high profile adjustable sights.  It's getting grips, new springs, a C&S hammer and safety, removal of mag disconnect, trigger and reliability jobs, a Novak rear and a Novak front, and stippling front and back.  My co-worker frined is getting this for his father to give to him on his birthday.  What a great son.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:41:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Good deal!

By the way, is FNMI still making HPs down in Columbia, SC?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Hobbs,  

I am always in the market for $400 Hi Powers with Heinies, checkering on the front and back straps, custom grips, custom safety, rounded edges and various other improvements

Just so you know the next time you want to let one go.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't seen an FNMI Hi=Power in 4 years.  I wish I knew.  As for the $400 Hi-Power, I had it for sale here for like a month, and nobody bit.  Of course, that was when I had like 4 posts and no feedback.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top