Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2013 11:27:19 PM EDT
I conceal carry a G19. What I was wanting to do was to only stipple half of the grip. The area that I want to stipple is the outside portion (the part that doesn't touch my body) and the finger grooves.

The reason for this is that I don't want a stippled portion of the handle to rub my skin raw, that's also why I don't want to do the backstrap.

My question is, has anyone done this? If so, is there any negative effect on follow-up shots or firing the weapon in general? I searched all over and couldn't find anyone who has done this.

I know that I could stipple the whole handle and sand down the parts that touch my body, but I still feel like that would be uncomfortable. Has anyone done this and experienced no discomfort? My weapon is a tool, so I'm not worried about how it will look with only half the handle stippled, more about how it will function in my hands.

Thank you
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 4:09:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 360 stipple on my EDC (M&P9c) and I can't recall a time that I was rubbed raw, if rubbed at all.  Having a nice holster/belt combo helps keep the weapon in place and avoid shifting.

I carry in an MTAC with an Ares belt.  Not a cheap combo, but you get what you pay for.

Desired carry location plays a part too I suppose.  I carry at 3:30-4:00.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 4:59:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry a G19 with full stipple and M&P 9 with full stipple never had any issues. Mainly appendix the G19. Run the M&P in a hybrid at 430.

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 5:15:21 AM EDT
[#3]
my carry gun is done completely - no issues

it'll smooth out a bit as you wear it as well

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:11:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Areas you do NOT want to stipple, where stippling has no benefit and just rubs you raw whooting, IMO:
-top of hte back strap, where the webbing of your hand goes.  
-underside of the trigger guard just ahead of the front strap, will rub your middle finger
-thumb rests (top of sides of grip area).  

Stippling is not that rough, just use very fine dots.  Some say you should n't do the front strap b/c it makes it harder to shift your rip to operate the mag release or slide catch.

Do stipple:
-flat parts on the frame, where you off hand thumb rests
-front of trigger guard
-forward half of the underside of the trigger guard
-lower 3/4 of the back strap
-in general, the radius of the back strap.

There was an interesting article recently in the blue press that talked about asymetric placement of grip tape.  I think he said he liked it on only one side of the grip...
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I stippled my M&P 45, full size, and it is pretty rough, but I stippled pretty aggressively. That's why I'm a little surprised to see so many people not affected by the stippling of the EDC.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 12:07:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I stippled my M&P 45, full size, and it is pretty rough, but I stippled pretty aggressively. That's why I'm a little surprised to see so many people not affected by the stippling of the EDC.
View Quote

mine is pretty flat - I'll try to get an up close pic when I get home
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:42:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There was an interesting article recently in the blue press that talked about asymetric placement of grip tape.  I think he said he liked it on only one side of the grip...
View Quote

Yup.  I busted out the grip tape and the author (Duane Thomas, I think) was correct.  I'm a righty and putting tape on the left side of the grip allows for quick purchase and the ability to "move" the gun in your hand to reach adjustments.  It still provides increased traction for your support hand.    

Grip tape is cheap, quick to apply, simple to remove, reversible, and easy to experiment with.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#8]
stipple only the parts that your primary grip will need to hold onto
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I sanded the grip prior to stippling, and after. Just lightly. Evened out the holes, and didn't look sloppy. I didn't want mine aggresive.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I didn't stipple the side but I did reduce the finger bumps and stippled the front strap area on my G29. Feels great and really helps me keep a sold grip on the gun during recoil.

Link Posted: 8/8/2013 5:12:03 AM EDT
[#11]
mine is pretty flat

loads better than the regular genII frame - but not enough to be uncomfortable

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I stippled the front and back of my M&P 9 as well as the mag release and thumb rest right in front of the take down lever.  It feels much better in the hand and helps with a positive purchase on the gun.  As mentioned in this forum earlier I stopped just under the trigger guard as to not have the rough texture against the side of my middle finger.
href=http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r791/mahermic000/photo_zps9ff4ee83.jpg" />
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:15:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yup.  I busted out the grip tape and the author (Duane Thomas, I think) was correct.  I'm a righty and putting tape on the left side of the grip allows for quick purchase and the ability to "move" the gun in your hand to reach adjustments.  It still provides increased traction for your support hand.    

Grip tape is cheap, quick to apply, simple to remove, reversible, and easy to experiment with.  
View Quote

You mean I'm not a special snowflake? I thought I was the only one in the world with left-side only grip tape. All the way up to the slide for my right thumb. The rest is for the meaty part of my left hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top