What is everyone's opinion on sti 1911's
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:19:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm very pleased with my Ranger, very well fit, runs like a champ
and more accurate than I can shoot.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 4:33:08 AM EDT
[#2]
excellent

guns are very well fitted, very high quality, and able to withstand years of competition use, like over 10,000 rounds a year, year after year.

Customer service is also excellent

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:20:34 AM EDT
[#3]
They are very nice, under rated.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 6:08:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Way over rated.

They're ugly as sin, not fit all that great, and they use ramped barrels in their 45s, which is a big fucking problem since they don't run as well as a proper barrel.

They're wildly popular with the competition crowd because they're ugly and usually require some oddball home made ammo to run right.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Way over rated.

They're ugly as sin, not fit all that great, and they use ramped barrels in their 45s, which is a big fucking problem since they don't run as well as a proper barrel.

They're wildly popular with the competition crowd because they're ugly and usually require some oddball home made ammo to run right.
View Quote

Uhhh. Wut?
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Some of them, like the Trojan and Spartan, represent a good value for the price.  With some of their other models, it can be difficult to see why they're worth a premium.

Fit and finish wise, they are somewhere between production guns and semi-customs.  STIs generally have a consistently better barrel fit than most production 1911s available.

I think they generally offer a good product for the type of shooting I like to do, i.e. competition.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Who has the most in stock STIs for sale?

Got my eye on a Duty One 4.0
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Who has the most in stock STIs for sale?

Got my eye on a Duty One 4.0
View Quote
When I was looking for my 2011, Shooters Connection had the most in stock STIs.  They ship really fast too.

ETA:  For the OP, I love my 2011 TAC 5.0 in 9mm.  Eats everything I've fed it without complaint.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Way over rated.

View Quote

Guess I'll have to just agree to disagree.

Some of the slide markings are a lot too much though, I'll give you that.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I have owned a Steelmaster and now own a Trojan.

The Steelmaster was a huge headache from day one, and after two trips back to STI I dumped it.

The Trojan has been absolutely great, minus having to change out the slide stop plunger pretty much out of the box since it wasnt putting any tension on the slide stop. Have ran roughly 1,500 rounds through it so far with zero failures.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried the trigger on a Spartan in the LFS, I was not blown away. Then they gave me a Tactical, that trigger was pretty dang crisp. Course the gun was more than double the cost of the Spartan.

Dawson precision seems to have decent stock and acceptable prices; I'm looking at a Trojan in 9mm myself.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I tried the trigger on a Spartan in the LFS, I was not blown away. Then they gave me a Tactical, that trigger was pretty dang crisp. Course the gun was more than double the cost of the Spartan.

Dawson precision seems to have decent stock and acceptable prices; I'm looking at a Trojan in 9mm myself.

View Quote

Yeah the Spartan is the bottom of STI's barrel. Not to say it is a bad gun, but spending a bit more and jumping to the Trojan is a huge upgrade. My Trojan is every bit of gun that my Springfield TRP is.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Uhhh. Wut?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Way over rated.

Uhhh. Wut?

They are marketed towards pistol competitors and I can understand why those that aren't wouldn't like them. People that don't shoot competitions should buy a safe queen instead.

I would recommend staying away from the Spartan, it is not a STI. It is the only STI I have have sold.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:48:20 AM EDT
[#14]
The Trojan is a good product for the money.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:48:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I own 2 (a Duty One 4" and a Tactical SS 5"), high quality, reliable, way under rated. One is my current EDC. In the price range, there is nothing better, IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top