Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2008 9:02:07 PM EDT
Anyone got one of these things?

I came close to buying one a while back, when CDNN had them discounted to about $300 apiece.

Cabela's had this one. It's the S40 compact model in .40 S&W. I've got some .40 ammo but no gun for it, so I've been watching for a cheap .40 cal handgun.  They also have a full size version of this same gun.

This one looks brand new, I can't tell that it's ever been fired. The only drawback is that I only got 1 magazine with it.  It's a kind of funky looking thing, and has odd sights on it, but I think these sights will be easy to shoot.

This pic isn't my gun, but are the same model.

Link Posted: 10/14/2008 12:02:51 AM EDT
[#1]
i used to have an M40(fullsize), and i actually really liked it, not sure why i sold it now.  never had a failure of any kind.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:50:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:02:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i bought a m9 a couple of years ago. i lost it to my wife, it's now her primary ccw.

damn gun is rock solid and spooky accurate. it's fed everyting under the sun and is really hard to jam even when trying. i'll buy another one if i find one.

I may have to go back up to Cabelas and get the full size .40 too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd jump on the M40 if I were you.  Once old stock is gone and they start sending out new stock.  Prices are going to double I mear.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I went back up to Cabela's today. The $299 Steyr M40 was gone, as was the $399 M9-A1. The $399 T/C Encore was gone too.

But they did have some real bargains, like a used Savage varmint rifle in .223 for $799, WTFO?  I don't have anything against Savage rifles, but there is no way that a model 110, even in a laminated stock, is worth $799 used.

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I own a Steyr M40 and a Steyr M40A1 and they are both beautiful pistol and I'm defintely spoiled now.

The M40 and Steyr M40A1 have different extractors though and the upgraded extractors on the A1s are suppose to be better, but truth is I have the original extractor with my M40 and she shoots fine.  Right now the CDNN A1s that were sold need the extractor upgrade though (the springs) and from what I've heard those are on backorder and not expected to ship in  until December.

S40A1 and S40s are RARE as hen's teeth these days. They no longer sell the original S-series and the SA1's that have shipped in have sold out in weeks (yeah, that fast). Steyr Arms keeps saying they're expecting more in, but we haven't seen any come in for awhile now.  My guess is that now that they have hired a ton more people, moved to a bigger location, and have the AUG rifle coming soon that they'll be set to take a new import of SA1's very soon.  Those pistols will have the new extractor upgrades and the Mannox finish, which is suppose to be superior to anything out there right now (including Glock).
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#7]
This is all very encouraging to me-I bought an M9A1 this weekend but haven't shot it yet. I wanted to try something 'different' and liked the idea behind the sights. The grip seems to work for me too-the rear seems to lock my hand in place. Doesn't point quite like a Glock, but hey, I wanted something "different", right? This gun is a replacement for my Glock23 as I needed a fighting handgun in a common military caliber. I was set to get the G19 as my G23 has been relegated to the AA .22LR conversion since it blew up but I ended up with the Steyr instead.

Really want an AUG too,.... I'm having a hard time justifying another .223 rifle though. Just another mouth to feed right now and I have the bases covered in that caliber.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I think you'll be very pleased with it. I suggest Winchester White Box from (Walmart Value Packs = Cheap) as it feeds very nice and ejects very nice so that you can have a nice break in period with zero issues.  Also if it is from CDNN give it a nice cleaning before you got out and of course don't apply any oil or lube to the striker. It was probably last lubbed up in 2005.  The don't take a lot of lubrication, so a little bit goes a long way.

Really the more you shoot it I think the more you'll love it. Aftermarket night sights are available in traditional 3-post configuration if you feel you want to be more traditional.

As for the AUG wait until you can afford it and don't panic buy another .223 because of the politics unless you hear for sure an AWB is coming to the floor for a vote.

*Nice though to have that bullpup to get around that SBR ban you folks have in Michigan to get a short OAL rifle.

Link Posted: 10/21/2008 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I was looking for a s9 or s40.  Which Cabellas did you get yours at?  I'm in the DFW area.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

As for the AUG wait until you can afford it and don't panic buy another .223 because of the politics unless you hear for sure an AWB is coming to the floor for a vote.

*Nice though to have that bullpup to get around that SBR ban you folks have in Michigan to get a short OAL rifle.

LoL, Mostly, I want the AUG for a BOB rifle. My XCR is short enough to be a "pistol" in MI (under 30" collapsed) so I can carry it loaded, but I always wanted to try a Bullpup and the AUG is the only one (save that nasty FS2000) that will accomodate a lefty.

As for the SBR law, I just got around that by buying an M11/9 with a LAGE upper. Gonna be a while before our first Kiss though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I was looking for a s9 or s40.  Which Cabellas did you get yours at?  I'm in the DFW area.

Fort Worth
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#13]
$299 for the S-40 or M-40. I would not hesitate if I were close I would pick a couple up but Colorado is a little far and my wife would have  cow if i told her I was driving to Texas to pickup a new gun.   Great deal if you have the cash. Also report from the Associated Press says gun sales are up %800 since last tuesday. The local Sportsman's warehouse looks like they were robbded in regards to guns, ammo and loading components.   JP
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:41:54 AM EDT
[#14]
are you supposed to clean and lube these things????? no really i havent done anything to my m40. loving it. HK i generally take care of even though it is a rolls royce of AK reliable weapons but the HKs get some tlc but not a steyr which i love just the same.

clean and lube it, you ppl are crazy.............................

My spp can be problematic if you dont oddly enough leave a little lube in the cam pin slot on the bbl. then it works like a champ or now the mp9 tp9 or whatever DSA is calling the TMP now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top