Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 4:41:38 PM EDT
Hi PPL :)

I've kinda got a strange thing happening w/ my new M357-A1.  It does a full auto select-fire kind-o-thing and the primers are being tore up!  I have some pics that may tell someone what's happening.  I sent a msg to steyrmannlicherusa.com and a salesman got back to me w/ the following msg,

"...Dear Sir,

Thank you for your message and feed back.  First of all the marks on the head are absolutely normal from the Steyr pistols. These marks are due to the chamber loaded indicator pin which is protruding while ejection.  Regarding the “full auto” it is almost impossible that is going like that. The internal design doesn’t allow the pistol to fire like that. But without the pistol in our hands it is impossible to make expertise. I will transmit your message to our R&D department for information when we will return from holidays.  I will check with Steyr Mannlicher USA what will be the next step in order to check your pistol.

With my best regards,

Frédéric PAVAT
Sales Manager"

I have some pics, but can't seem to find a way to post 'em. <shrug>  This is my first post.  I would appreciate a bit of help understanding what's goin' on w/ the primer marks.  It looks as thought the primer is being impacted multiple times.  The ammo is the Wal-Mart Winchester ammo 125 gr FMJ.  Any thoughts on this problem?  Thanx in advance.

Wulf
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#1]
You can email me the photo to take a look at (IM has me email address),

But best chances are that the FCG has a glitch that is causing the problem (unless you getting slam fires caused by the firing pin sticking forward (primer indent would appear to be torn downward if the firing pin is sticking forward)).  Best bet for correction would be a total pistol tear down, clean/lube and reassemble to make sure that there is not debre in the pistol causing the problem.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:59:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Hi Dano :)

I sent a couple pics to your hotmail account.  Plz let me know what ya thing.  Thanx again and hava good weekend.

Wulf
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
...and again. <shrug>

http://zexty.com/images2/b1341b31adc3f70e98d13aa8a8c4c7ef.jpg

Woohoo!!!  Hmm, this editin' stuff takes a bit of gettin' used to.  Anyway, here's a pic of damaged primers from my Steyr M357-A1.  I've not seen this before w/ any of my other semiautos.  Can anyone make heads or tails of this?  I did a thorough cleaning and air-hosed the heck outta it, then did a light lube.  No joy. he
Wulf
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh BTW...

I edited a previous post and added a pic.  Hope this helps.  Thanx PPL. Wulf
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:21:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Howdy PPL :)

I just found an article on SKS slamfires,...thanx Dano... but there was no pics of the primers.  If anyone knows where I can view one to make a comparison, I'd appreciate it.  Thanx and hava great week.

Wulf
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Slide (firing pin components) needs to be pulled apart and the parts cleaned/debur'd.

Most of the spent cases show the firing pin staying forward after ignition (beyond the breach face) as the case was being ejected, and the two cases (bottom right, and second from left on the bottom) tells it all, The small off center dent was caused as the firing pin was sticking out during loading (stuck foward past the slide face), and tagged the primer.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanx Dano :)

I'll contact Steyr again, if they don't contact me first and make arrangements to have the firing pin components altered.  After I read your post and read the article on the SKS "doubling", I recognized the problem and assumed that it was a large part of what was occuring.  I appreciate your help.

Wulf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top