Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2005 11:19:31 PM EDT
Does anyone have any opinions about these pistiols? I'm not looking for a carry weapon, just something to shoot at the range occasionally.

Star Model BM Pistol 9MM
http://home.insightbb.com/~irjmarion/shgstarbmpop.jpg

Been lurking here for a while. Finally decided to register.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Never tried one, but I have had other Star pistols that I like, so why not? Been thinking about one of these, just haven't taken the plunge yet.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 1:22:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Stars are great pistols. I have an M40 that is an excellent shooter and IPAR is selling parts for them out of Spain now so I'm sure a lot more Star's will be coming out of the safes, I know mine will. They are very often over looked quality firearms in my opinion. I've seen good deals on Star's most people equate their quality with other foreign made weapons that are poor in quality, and to me they are not even on the same level.
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 6:16:00 AM EDT
[#3]
This is a fun range gun.  I bought one this last summer and it just begs to be shot.

It is smaller than my Colt Commander.
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Who's got the best deals on these?
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The best deal that I found was from Southern Ohio Guns for $139.95

Thanks for the input everyone, I think I will have to get one of these eventually. Too poor at the moment though, hopefully soon.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the input everyone, I think I will have to get one of these eventually. Too poor at the moment though, hopefully soon.

Thanks for that link I think I might pick one of these up.

Do you guys think this would be a decent gun for a girl for home defense or do you think it's not simple enough?
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 10:01:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for that link I think I might pick one of these up.

Do you guys think this would be a decent gun for a girl for home defense or do you think it's not simple enough?

I think as long as the girl isn't too simple (and if you're going to trust her with firearms, she probably isn't ), she'll have little trouble getting used to a Star BM.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 3:40:57 AM EDT
[#8]
IMHO, if the girl is not a regular shooter, I'd recomend a DA revolver long over any semi-auto.

Also, if at all possible, let her try (shoot) several and pick the one she likes the best.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 11:36:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Revolver are excellent for first time shooters, especially females. They are not as intimidating appearance wise as most semi autos, which are designed physically/mechanically for combat most of the time and tend to be pretty aggressive looking. Get a .357, start her out on weak .38s and work up to the .357s or if it's too stout as .357 just stick with .38s.  

Even some of the cheapest revolvers go bang every time, no safeties to fiddle with or slides to operate. Just simple pure fun/defense in a convenient package. If she likes shooting and gets proficient with the revolver then spend the money on a good semi auto. That's what I did and now she's shopping for a .45.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#10]
i bought one myself this past summer and yes i love it. a great  gun for smaller hands. i had to do a little polishing work on the feed ramp to function hollow point ammo. still the remingtons [hp] are touch and go, the winchesters are a little more consistant, i have more to try as yet though. but for regular practice at the range the winchester white box 100 rd 115 grain fmj's are super. it boils down to I LOVE MINE!!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one that i am in the process of  customizing. All I can say is for the money , I don't think you can beat it. I have started to bob tail the rear grip some and have cut the beaver tail deeper.
I'm thinking of trying to make a STAR/Le France NOVA out of one. Fun toys at a good good price
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I just bought one here in SE PA for $159. Came with 2 mags and is in very good condition. Already been sent out to get Orange Dura Coated, yes I said Orange!

A gift for my girl freind who loves guns and all things orange.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Thats one deadly toy gun.

Link Posted: 11/25/2005 4:45:23 AM EDT
[#14]
She is a deadly type of girl

Where are you guys finding spare parts for this gun?
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 4:50:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd like to get one of these..too bad they're not C&R's yet. (or are they?)
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Search the handgun forums under Star, there are not too many topics and one of them should have a link to the guys in Spain making parts for them.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks but already tried. Since the Search is limited to 30 days there are none
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Oh ok, I'll get it from the archives for you hang on. Maybe we can get the mods to tack this at the top, Star's seem to be getting a small following here on ARFCOM......finally.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Here ya go.
Star Parts.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks! But they do not list the BM model for parts but I sent them a email. Will post their reply.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#21]
My buddy bought one as a range plinker.

I showed him how to bump fire it. It's a riot to get it to cycle full auto.

Light trigger pull + single action = bump action fun.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Star Firarms corporate website has a list of places that sells replacement parts - Star-Firearms.com
This one in particular seems to have a wide selection of parts  - Click Here
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Star Firarms corporate website has a list of places that sells replacement parts - Star-Firearms.com
This one in particular seems to have a wide selection of parts  - Click Here

Not a corporate website......
Star itself is and has been bankrupt since 1997, along with Astra. Supposedly they joined up, after folding in 97, under the name Astar, but I've checked and never found out anything. I'm making a links thread for everybody and Striker is gonna tack it at the top. That star-firearms wesbite has a lot of good information.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Answer your question.
You'll have fun with it at the range.
Mine was cool.
It only has a single stack mag-8rnds if I remember.
It's a good weapon. Apparently many Spanish cops trusted their lives to this thing?
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got a BKM which is the same pistol, but in an alloy frame.  Does not feed HPs reliably.  Nice ergonomics and handling, very slim.  Do not feed a steady diet of +P, they weren't designed for that.  Do not dry fire without placing a balled up patch or a couple of layers of leather in front of the pin or you risk breaking the FP, I know from first hand experience.

Decent plinker but I would not recommend it for carry unless you are willing to stick with ball, and we all know how good 9mm ball is for defense.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:23:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

not many parts around if you look e-gunparts is sold out of most everything.  just buy 2 or 3 of them

as for the pistol sweet plinker but I would go with something modern for a carry gun ya know glock kahr etc.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#27]
If you can lay your hands on a mint condition Star B, BM, BKM get it!!!!!!  This gun you can carry or use it to play.  As a carry gun you cannot go wrong with it.  I carried one (1) for many years and I had no serious trouble with it.  It just have a couple of nicks that you must know about to enusre that it works every time.   I am a member of the South African Defence Force and the Star is the standard issue sidearm of the Army for the last 30 plus years.  This is a perfect clone of a 1911 and you can carry it for days and not feel it.  Please ensure oil is applied in good measure and that the sidearm is "accurized" for maximum reliability.  Check on the mags that will come with the Star as the most of them is made for the .38super rounds.

I can keep you busy for days on the Star as I gave instruction on it.  Contact me if you have further quries.

Cheers  Desertfox  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If you can lay your hands on a mint condition Star B, BM, BKM get it!!!!!!  This gun you can carry or use it to play.  As a carry gun you cannot go wrong with it.  I carried one (1) for many years and I had no serious trouble with it.  It just have a couple of nicks that you must know about to enusre that it works every time.   I am a member of the South African Defence Force and the Star is the standard issue sidearm of the Army for the last 30 plus years.  This is a perfect clone of a 1911 and you can carry it for days and not feel it.  Please ensure oil is applied in good measure and that the sidearm is "accurized" for maximum reliability.  Check on the mags that will come with the Star as the most of them is made for the .38super rounds.

I can keep you busy for days on the Star as I gave instruction on it.  Contact me if you have further quries.

Cheers  Desertfox  

Hey if you feel like it shoot me an IM with any information you have or you feel would be beneficial. I'll add it to the tacked thread I started.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#29]
There is so much that I can tell you about this sidearm, but let me just give you another few thoughts.  If there is anything else that you can think off or want to know, ask me......

The recoil guide on this Star has a couple of hick-ups, but this is something that can be solved very quickly.  As the B has a habit of cracking the slide after hard and abusive work, just like some 1911's, the SA Army modified the recoil guide by fitting a shock dampener.  This has the result that if the sidearm does not have enough oil, bad ammo or a thumb rides the slide the habitual "smoke stack" will occur.  This is not a problem and the "stack" can be cleared in split seconds, if you have been trained in it.  Due to the mags that is made for .38super some feeding problems may occur.  This is retified by loading your mags correctly, have the longest TOL that you can load or just spacing the mags.  What else?????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top