BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Springfield......................
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#2]
kahr.

Much smaller package.  Better for cc if thats what you're going for.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#3]
SPRINGFIELD...
GREAT GUN
I have one & love it
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Its hard to beat those XDs.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#6]
PM9 for maximum concealment (if that's what you're after...)

I have one and it shoots very well for such a small gun.  It has consumed over a thousand rounds now with zero malfunctions.  The Springfield is a bit taller in profile but shoots just as well.  Granted, I've only shot about 20 rounds out of an XD Subcompact, but it shot where it was pointed and was easy to handle.

Get both?

Alpine
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Be careful asking here, you'll get a lot of stuff like, "Which ever you prefer.", or "Rent them both and try them out."  Stupidly obviouly shit like that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#9]
XD
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Kahr...they are amazingly small.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a Kahr MK9. After 50 rounds of +P the SS slide cracked where the op rod retainer fits, all the way through to the top of the slide. It was used, but the gun shop took it back and gave me credit since I paid $400 for it on condition they would take it back if I had problems. they kept their word.  When we examined the slide, it was evident that Kahr had made the metal very thin at the front of the slide to save weight. Too thin IMHO.

I turned around and bought a used SIG P239 in .40, this has never missed a beat, built like a tank.

I also have a Springfield Armory XD9 Subcompact, after 600 rounds of +P, the thing shoots like a champ, it also has a robust slide.

I know the Kahrs are supposed to be fine handguns, but I just can't get myself to trust them after my experiences. They just seem to be built too lightweight. I need something Solid.

Sig P239
Sig P220
HK USP9 SD
SA XD9 SC
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:08:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had a Kahr PM9 with a stainless slide since May and haven't had any problems.  I've got about 600 rounds through the little gun.  I traded my Glock 26 and a couple of hi-cap mags for the gun.  It's just about as easy to conceal the 26 as it is a 19.  The Kahr just disappears in your pocket.  If you go that route be sure to get a good pocket holster.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Had a PM9.  It was very small, but not fun to shoot, therefore I didn't shoot it well.  I have a HK P2000SK for my compact carry gun now.  It will fit in a pocket holster and gives me 10+1 rounds of 9mm.  Shoots like a dream too!  So, I guess I'd tell you to go Springfield.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Springfield XD subcompact!  Haven't regretted my purchase yet.  Its still small enough that I can wear jeans and a t-shirt TUCKED IN around town and nobody has even looked at me twice yet.  A little cheapass Uncle Mike's IWB nylon holster hides it nicely on my right hip.  Blouse the t-shirt a bit and I'm good to go.

Yet, its still big enough that I can wrap all my fingers around the grip when I shoot it and not have to deal with a "hanging pinky" or having to put grip extensions on my mags to have a comfortable shooting platform.  

Excellent trigger, great accuracy for what it is (clay pidgeons at 25 yards are no problemo), and has run 100% reliable through hundreds of rounds so far.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:32:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Springfield XD subcompact!  Haven't regretted my purchase yet.  Its still small enough that I can wear jeans and a t-shirt TUCKED IN around town and nobody has even looked at me twice yet.  A little cheapass Uncle Mike's IWB nylon holster hides it nicely on my right hip.  Blouse the t-shirt a bit and I'm good to go.

Yet, its still big enough that I can wrap all my fingers around the grip when I shoot it and not have to deal with a "hanging pinky" or having to put grip extensions on my mags to have a comfortable shooting platform.  

Excellent trigger, great accuracy for what it is (clay pidgeons at 25 yards are no problemo), and has run 100% reliable through hundreds of rounds so far.

You really should try the Pearce Grip extension for the XD. It makes it very comfortable, and adds very little bulk, I carry IWB also on the right rear quarter, and it is fine. (not the two round mag extender floorplate, just the grip extender, $7.99).

The thickness of my XD9 SC takes a bit of getting used to IMO, when worn IWB, compared to my SIG P239 which is very flat, but the benefits of the double-stack mag well are obvious.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:50:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Bah, I don't even need that.  I have fairly small hands, I'm only 5'6" tall.  Wrestling in high school stunted my growth, my brother is 6'3".  So my strong side hand wraps around the little bastard just fine as it is.  Aren't they a smooth shooting gun?  I'm way impressed, obviously I think its the best buy going in subcompact automatics right now.

Here's a thread I posted about it with some pics awhile ago.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=9955

I did a full review but its gone now, must have sucked up too much bandwidth with all the pics and such for the admins to leave it on the server.  Here's a couple of gratuitous pics I still have hosted:

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm not a big fan of the tiny Kahrs.  In general, I don't trust the ul;tra-shortened semi-autos.  The original size ones or 1/2" shorter ones seem to do fine.

There has to be some place that rents them.  At least ask about the durability of the rental pistol.

And shooting one is a great way to talk yourself out of one.  You can only learn so much from pointing it at the wall :)
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#18]
XD, almost if not better then the glocks
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#19]
XD  hug.gif
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#20]
KAHR...made in US

Springfield...not (import) Croatia I think...if you care about that sort of stuff.

Kahr is a great company with great customer service. My wife's sights had stripped out allen screws and they sent her better sights no questions asked (1 day fedex to boot). Maybe I got them on a good day...but if it isn't a government model, it better be a Kahr.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Get the XD. I've put over 2000 rounds through my XD9SC in the last 9 months. My wife has no idea how many through hers. But its significantly more than I've put through mine. Except for the occasional cleaning when I can get it away from her it gets no regular maintenance. Yet it runs flawlessly. Eats anything you feed it.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
KAHR...made in US

Springfield...not (import) Croatia I think...if you care about that sort of stuff.

This is a defensive "work" handgun, not a "toy."  Therefore I need to be able to trust it with my life and the lives of those whom I love.  Ergo, I'm actually glad its made in Croatia, becuase most of the guns made in Eastern Europe are built like damn bank vaults (including the XDs).  American guns (I'm thinking Colt mostly here) are alot like Harley Davidsons-- they look pretty and there is pride in buying American, but they cost too much for what they are and too often their reliability is suspect.  Alot of guys prefer to buy an American bike that costs fifteen grand and still leaks oil, because it says made in the USA (even though they still have Japanese parts in them like Nissin brakes, same as many so-called USA brand guns have frames made in Brazil or the Phillippines).  But for something I've gotta trust my life to, reliability and longevity comes before all other considerations, so I'm buying a Honda (or in this case, a Springfield XD).

Just my opinion, no flame intended.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top