Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 6:56:18 AM EDT
I know I want one of these guns.  I am thinking the service model. It would be for CCW and possibly for IDPA.

I had opportunity this past weekend to shoot the 9mm version and it seemed a little more snappy that my 9mm Browning HP.  Having not shot the .40, I am worried it will be too snappy to work well for me.  I am trying to find someone or somewhere locally I can shoot a .40 to try it out.

For those of you who have shot both, how do they compare and which do you recommend for CCW.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the .45 ACP :)

I haven't shot the .40, but people who have shot both tell me the .45 has less felt recoil. It feels about the same as the XD-9 to me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like my 9mm.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Get the XD9, it feels like shooting a 22 compared to the XD40 which feels like a 44 magnum
in 4 inch models that is
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Get the XD9, it feels like shooting a 22 compared to the XD40 which feels like a 44 magnum
in 4 inch models that is

With a screen name like yours, I am surprised you didnt suggest the .45

I will probably go with the 9 for this one, but I will have a .45 one day too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I do have a new XD45ACP  5 inch tactical model
like my name says but I am embarresed to admit
that thanks to my job lately, I have not had time to break it in.
I guess thats better than having alot of time and no money
to buy new guns
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I have owned six XD's, all service models. Calibers were 9mm, .40S&W, 357sig, & 45acp. I currently only own 9mm and 45acp models. The 40S&W recoil is much snappier than the 45acp and the 40S&W holds less rounds. Also the 40S&W XD's seem to be the most problematic. A lot of people experience guide rod problems and early lockback with the 40's. IMO the 9mm and 45acp are the best in the XD anyway.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have owned six XD's, all service models. Calibers were 9mm, .40S&W, 357sig, & 45acp. I currently only own 9mm and 45acp models. The 40S&W recoil is much snappier than the 45acp and the 40S&W holds less rounds. Also the 40S&W XD's seem to be the most problematic. A lot of people experience guide rod problems and early lockback with the 40's. IMO the 9mm and 45acp are the best in the XD anyway.

Thanks, it seems you have experience with all of them and that's a plus.  I looked at the .45 as well, but it seemed a little to big to conceal although I was impressed with its mag capacity, way more than a 1911.  

The 9mm is looking better for the tasks I have for it, and with some quality +p hollow points I should be good for a carry weapon, and the ammo will be cheaper for practice.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:30:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 9 and a .45 and like them both and if I got a poymer framed .40 I would get an XD too. I would recomend the 9MM BiTone model for starters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top