Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 9:29:20 PM EDT
I am looking at buying the Springfield XD 4inch 06 Package (.45 ACP) either tomorrow or Sat.  A local dealer has the 06 pkg for $534 but I talked to a guy who is selling the same thing at a local gun show this weekend for $475 so I may wait an extra day (if I have the patience).

But I have a few questions. I have owned many Glocks and the finish is pretty tough. How does the black finish hold up on these XD's?
Does anyone actually carry a new .45 ACP XD as a carry weapon?
How do these compare to Glock as far as durability, lifespan, etc. I know lifespan may still be a question.

I have tried looking for all the reviews I can find on XD's and I am really seeing mainly positive responses and find that surprising since its such a relativley newer gun. I have yet to see a major flaming of the XD series.

Any thoughts/opinions are welcome! Thanks!
JP
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#1]
the new finish is way better than the old.
I will start carrying it as soon as I find a decent IWB holster(I have the service model).
as far as durability I think it's pretty solid and it should last as long as a Glock.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#2]
how can you tell if it has the newfinish? I guess all the .45 XD have it, huh?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
how can you tell if it has the newfinish? I guess all the .45 XD have it, huh?

yep.
I think if it comes in the box with all the extras it will have the new finish?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:45:43 AM EDT
[#4]
The only flaming I have ever seen was some finish problems that some people had but as was mentioned it is a new finish on the .45s. I have a Glock also like you and like the trigger better on the XD. You will be happy with the XD in .45ACP.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:39:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I recently bought a new  XD45 ACP.  I am very pleased with it.  It shoots extremely well.  It points naturally.  I especially like the trigger.

It is a robust design and I expect it to last through many, many thousands of rounds.

As to the finish, I do not know.  Popular opinion on this board is that it will last longer than the old finish.  We'll see.

Buck
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:53:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Compared to the Glock 21 I used to own the XD-45ACP is a much better gun.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:21:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#8]
The XD-45ACP has a Melonite finish much like Glock's tennifer. It is the only XD that has this finish......for now. It's in the talks that the other models may be coming out with the same finish, but for now they are all the old bruniral finish except for the 45 ACP.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I purchased a Service Model 40sw last June. Only problems Ive had were finsih issues That being said I have the Bi tone the stainless steel on the slide never rusted,but all other "black metal parts" did no matter how much I cleaned it lubed it or whatever. I called springfeild the said send it in so I did. They reemburst me for overnight shipping and refinished all the black metal parts took about 3 weeks. Ive been trying to make the damn thing rust since and no luck they did a supieor job and I shoot the hell out of it and carry it in the texas heat IWB.  

Check out this website
Its much like this for XD's I learned alot over their
XD Forum
Hope this helps
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I read a review somewhere on the internet where a guy put 20,000 rounds of ammo through the gun without a single jam.  Somewhere near the end of those 20,000 rounds he put it through the 1,000 round glock test (throwing it in sand, dirt, mud, water, driving over, freezing it all that crap) and it didn't even jam through that.  The guy also claimed he threw it off of a mountain and the only thing that broke was the loaded chamber indicator.  I can't remember what caliber this particular gun was, but sounds like a nice piece of work.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Good to hear.  I have one on layaway.

Max
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I read a review somewhere on the internet where a guy put 20,000 rounds of ammo through the gun without a single jam.  Somewhere near the end of those 20,000 rounds he put it through the 1,000 round glock test (throwing it in sand, dirt, mud, water, driving over, freezing it all that crap) and it didn't even jam through that.  The guy also claimed he threw it off of a mountain and the only thing that broke was the loaded chamber indicator.  I can't remember what caliber this particular gun was, but sounds like a nice piece of work.

This guy is Chaim Stein He is a member at the XD Forum his 20,000 round torture test was published in Hanguns magazine . Anways heres a link to that torture test thread. I talked to Mr Stein he is very nice and helpful with any questions. Also has some great lookin sight he invented
Check it out
XD forum 20,000 rounds
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Actually here's a better link to his article

20,000 Torture TEst
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Actually here's a better link to his article

20,000 Torture TEst

thanks for that link
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The XD-45ACP has a Melonite finish much like Glock's tennifer.

It's actually exactly the same.

All XD45's have the Melonite finish.  There should be no worries on the finish.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top