Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2005 4:04:59 PM EDT
Have been looking at the new Ultra and Micro from SA.I shoot a 1911 full size and am looking to scale down(size)for carry gun,and the 1911 is what I feel comfortable and secure with so it only stands to reason it should be my carry choice as well.So what kind of accuracy should I expect from a compact
at 3 to 10 yards?
Thanks for any info.argue]
     John        

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I own a Micro for my CCW & it shoots very nicely for up to 20 yards. Anything past that & I really have to hunker down & then it's no fun for me.

They're delightfull little 1911s, mine is very reliable & pleasant to shoot. I switchd to Chip McCormick 7rd mags when I bought the gun.

My .02
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]
 Thank you for the reply and your .02 Bob. I think I will be real impressed with the Springfield.
As for the mags,I have seen more than one post about switching out the Springfield mags even
though they are new and going with CM or Wilson.Is it a function issue or the fact of having one more round?
 Asking for your .02 again.
       John
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
IMO, it is having the extra rd that moves them to the aftermarket mags. I've never used my Micro factory mags, come to think of it.  

What sold me on the Micro was Springfield beveling the bottom of the mainspring housing so it didn't cut into the palm of my hand. Kimber didn't do this so they didn't get the sale. SA did it right with their 2nd generation Micros, IMO.

The alloy frame & ramped barrel are two elements that also set the gun up as being perfect for CCW, IMO. Maybe the only concession I have made to the 3" barrel is using FMJs only in carry. After having my JHPs fall apart when I shot thru a windshield a couple of years ago, I decided to stick with FMJs from now on, regardless of caliber.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes it does help.The shorter grip is a concern but not the fact it would bite into your hand,I was not aware of that being an issue but now it is.Alloy frames are lighter and maybe more suitable for concealed carry.But Springfield has a black stainless micro with all the features of the micro compact
1911-A1 w/black forged stainless steel frame and slide.Maybe it will help tame recoil in a power house like the 45 acp And it is $135 cheaper than the other micro compacts part # is SFGPX9806L. Probably go with that one if I can get it.
Thanks Again
        John
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Alloy frames are lighter and maybe more suitable for concealed carry.But Springfield has a black stainless micro with all the features of the micro compact
1911-A1 w/black forged stainless steel frame and slide. Maybe it will help tame recoil in a power house like the 45 acp

I got the alloy frame unit so my pants stay up!  

As for recoil, the .45acp is pretty much a pussycat, IMO. Maybe that's just me?  
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#6]
The recoil is way less than i thought it would be for a 45.  I was plesently surprised. I havent had a problem with my factory mags. Im sure there are better made mags but mine dont jam or not work well in any way.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I was wondering about the recoil,I only assumed it would be something more because this will be my first experience with a compact.In my full size 1911 it is not bad at all.
I will start out with the Springfield mags and see how they work,I would like to have a few 7 rdrs.though.Thanks for your input also smithmonsters
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The recoil is way less than i thought it would be for a 45.  I was plesently surprised. I havent had a problem with my factory mags. Im sure there are better made mags but mine dont jam or not work well in any way.

+1
Very surprised (pleasantly) with the micro's recoil.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I will start out with the Springfield mags and see how they work,I would like to have a few 7 rdrs.though.

My Chip McCormicks have operated at 100% & they're 7rd OACP mags.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#10]
The first gun my wife ever shot was one of these, and she was also surprised by the lack recoil (she's 5'02" and 110lbs).  They are great guns alright.

BobCole, I remember reading a post from you about how reliable your Micro was.  You used a colorful expression that gave me a chuckle, but I can't remember it now.  Do you have any idea what I'm talking about???
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

BobCole, I remember reading a post from you about how reliable your Micro was.  You used a colorful expression that gave me a chuckle, but I can't remember it now.  Do you have any idea what I'm talking about???

Runs like shit thru a goose?    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top