Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2003 6:28:22 PM EDT
It is my intention to look into a SA Pro model, I have a couple Beretta Brigs in 9MM, and would like to move up to the .45, my son just purchased a Kimber Eclipse and I was impressed!!  I am not overly familiar with the 1911 design so I am looking for the top notch right out of the box, any opinions??  I realize that some expense is required, however I would rather spend the money up front than tune something up.  My Brigs will eat anything all day long, I have put a 1k rds. thru them in a wkend without a hitch!!  Whaddya think?
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 6:13:39 AM EDT
[#1]
No doubt the Pro is high speed. The question aries though, as to what you will be doing with the gun, and what you expect out of it. An less expensive model might fit your needs just as well, and save you some money in the process. My Loaded fullsize parkerized model has been 100% flawless with everything I have run thru it, and is accurate well beyond my human ability and cost about have the price of the Pro. All I intend to do to it is to get it refinished in Springfields black Armory Kote finish for a little extra corrosion protection. I will admit though, the factory parkerized finish has been one of the best parkerizings I have seen, and none of mine (they are all parked) have shown the first sign of rust.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 7:09:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Hawkeye;  Thanks for the response!  I basically just want a quality shooter that is not going to cause issues when I shoot!!  I do have to work for my money and 2k is a lot of $$!!  I have a backyard range and try to shoot every week.  I went to the 1911 forum and got the impression that all 1911's are junk unless you do this or that so when I started to look further I discovered the SA PRO which is supposed to be the berries!! out of the box.  I have never had an issue with my Berettas even though there are those who think they are a pos!!  So I guess the bottom line is should I spend this kind of money for a recreational shooter or is there another frame of mind.  Is price indicative of Quality??
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 7:28:07 AM EDT
[#3]
No, price is not always indicative of quality. I can be, but is not garaunteed. The Pro is a top notch gun. For what you are wanting though, I would suggest trying out a loaded model first. I would be willing to be it will fit you bill nicely and save you quite a chunk of change. If you decide you dont like it, you can always sell it and then get something more high end. Make no mistake, I think the TRP and the Pro and guns from the likes of Wilson Combat, Les Baer, etc, are top notch. But my SA at half the price of the others is perfect for me. Check out my family pics thread further down. In addition to the ones pictured there, I had another loaded fullsize finished in OD green Armory coat that was an outstanding gun as well. Had to let it go for something I wanted more, but definitely have plans to get another when funds allow.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have several Springfield 1911's including a Pro.

I would NOT pick the Professional Model for a "first" 1911- it is a tightly fitted weapon that requires at least a little bit of basic experience in terms of maintenance.

Also there's nothing to DO to it- it's TOO GOOD to change anything, so it takes away one of the joys of 1911 ownership, namely, changing parts and tinkering until it's not working right anymore :)

If it were MY first 1911, I would buy a Springfield Loaded model (or less expensively, a Mil-Spec) and a whole merde-load of ammo (and still have a bunch of cash left over compared to a Pro).  

Get familiar with the pistol, learn about the myriad options, and then when the time comes and you can get the most out of it, get the professional, or a Les Baer, Wilson Combat, or other top-line 1911.  Because I guarantee one thing, once you have ONE you'll want MORE. :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top