Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 10:16:42 PM EDT
I just bought a used Springfield MC Operator pistol with Novak rear and front sights, it is completely stock.  The pistol shoots low at all distances from 5 to 25 yards.  The only thing I can think of is it either needs a lower front sight, or a higher rear sight.  Is this something I can send it back to Springfield to remedy, or do I need to find a gunsmith on my own to fix this?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:46:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:23:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine was the same way.  I didn't want to send it off to Springfield, so I just ordered a new from sight from Ameriglow.  It is a tight fit, but its the same sight as original only lower.  It now shoots POA.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]
How much was the sight?  Did you get a complete set, or just a rear sight?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Just the front and it cost $39.  The guy that runs Ameriglow seems to be a pretty stand up guy and I got it within 2 days and he sent a couple of light sticks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been shooting my own reloads in this pistol (which are not mild, approximately 825 fps through an Oehler chronograph), and this ammo shoots about 6-9" low at 20 yards through this pistol.

Are these pistols built with any particular ammo in mind?  For example, when I had Novak's build me a custom Colt 1911 years ago, they asked me to specify which ammo I would use so they could throat the barrel and feed ramp for that particular bullet (Federal Hydra-Shok), and I assume install sights of the proper height for that particular bullet as well.

Could that be the case here, that this Springfield MC Operator will shoot to point of aim with a specific (maybe hotter) ammo for which it might have been designed?  And if so, then does anyone know which ammo Springfield might recommend to use in their MC Operator pistols?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Point of impact can vary b/c of ammo used. I'd try a few different makes before sending the pistol to the shop. I had a friend who had to try several different hp rounds in his MC just to find one that would feed reliably.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:57:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't know for sure about the Springer but the Kimber Warrior is regulated for 230 gr. hardball at 25 yards.  Run a box of Winchester White Box through it before you go switching sights.  I do know that the 185 gr. +P stuff shoots to a lower point of impact  than the 230 gr. standard velocity stuff in my pistol.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine also shoots low.  There was a post about this on one of the 1911 boards.  You can send the gun back to springfield and they will test it--if it shoots low because of the front sight they'll replace it.  I talked to them last week and got and RMA # and will be shipping it off this week
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies.  I'm heading to the range right now to test Federal HydraShok, Remington Golden Saber, Winchester Ranger, some military ball, and my reloads.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#10]
It seems lots of Springers have been shooting low.  I picked up a new one on Friday, and it shoots low with all ammo, by about 6" at 15 yards.  I'm going to be asking for a return number tomorrow to send it off.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#11]
My Springfield shoots consistently low, and it follows a geometric progression the farther the range to the target.

I believe the milled out section for the front sight is actually milled a little high in the slide - a very little high.  I've verified this with my Mark-I eyeball.  I don't really want to send it to Springfield to have it worked on as I'm considering replacing the rear sight with a Novak low-profile adjustable, which would be fine for the application I'm intending for this pistol.

I will say their customer service was very helpful and they are sending me a part to repair the magazine catch.  It looked like a monkey had issues installing it and left the slot in the magazine catch lock boogered up pretty badly such that it was dragging on the body of the magazine catch.  One quick call and they are sending me another.

All said, I am still very pleased with the Springfield.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:03:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I just bought a used Springfield MC Operator pistol with Novak rear and front sights, it is completely stock.  The pistol shoots low at all distances from 5 to 25 yards.  The only thing I can think of is it either needs a lower front sight, or a higher rear sight.  Is this something I can send it back to Springfield to remedy, or do I need to find a gunsmith on my own to fix this?

Simply order a 1911 OFFICER'S Model NOVAK site from brownell's.  I was shooting 2 inches low all the way around with my Loaded and adding the Officer Rear site put me at EXACTLY Six O'clock...right where I like it.  This fix has worked with a number of folks with Low Shooting Springies.

NOTE:  Also have a nylon and brass drift punch and a heavy vise handy, it'll probably fit REALLY tight.  Lightly scribe the left and right sides of the dovetail so you can put the new sight in at the same windage point.

let us know how it all works out!

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll just throw this out there.

When I took my SA out the first time, it shot very low.  I know my trigger was quite stout from the factory and really took some getting used to.  I think to this day I had to be pulling the gun down when I squeezed the trigger.  The funny thing is, it grouped fine... just low.  However, whatever the cause was, the gun has since stopped.  Perhaps it was a little combination of finding a good handload, the gun braking in, and me getting oriented with the gun(trigger).  But I was almost POSITIVE it was those sights, and it turned out not to be.  

Not sure on your situation.  But I would suggest getting a solid rest and putting it on paper with some decent factory ammo... just in case.

Gundraw
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top