Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 7:30:18 PM EDT
I have an initial $500.00 to invest in modifications for a Springfield Mil-Spec (Not GI) 1911. My objective is to prepare it to be my primary carry handgun. Relliability #1 Goal. It doesn't have to be pretty, it just needs to get the job done if needed. Where shall I start and what Smiths are recommended
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:47:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:21:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Send it back to Springfield.

The SA Custom Shop   www.springfield-armory.com/CS.pdf

Self Defense package $ 175
Action job                   $  75
Beavertail IF you need it  $90

Buy some good mags
Change out the cheesy plastic grips for some nice checkered wood ( or VZ grips)

That should do it
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Already installed the VZ Grips. My Wilson 47D (8 round) is not feeding ejecting the 7th round consistently. The Stock SA mags work flawlessly. Any Ideas?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, the 47D is not ejecting the 7th round. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a beavertail, decent sights, and an action job.  A trigger job (with your choice of trigger length) is a good investment as well.  The last thing to replace is the barrel, contrary to internet legend.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a mil-spec in 38 super. I had the trigger worked, magwell installed, beavertail and extended thumb safety installed, full length guide rod and hogue coco bolo grips. The sights are on with everything I've tried, even my reloads. So they aren't pretty, but they work. I have about $250 invested in work and parts. Oh, I also had a CMC hammer and sear put in. Look around where you are you might have someone close by who is qualified. That's what I did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top