Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/1/2005 3:39:05 PM EDT
A standard mainspring housing assembly consists of the mainspring housing itself, a mainspring housing retaining pin which goes in the bottom of the housing and holds it to the frame, the mainspring retaining pin which has a cone-shaped head, the mainspring, the mainspring cap, and a mainspring cap retaining pin.

Does the Springfield ILS system NOT use a mainspring cap retaining pin, i.e. is the mainspring cap allowed to push up against the hammer spur beyond the mainspring housing itself?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:38:19 PM EDT
Mine didn't come with a pin. The instruction booklet recommends sticking something in the hole to prevent catastophe. The whole ILS MSH is kinda lame and I recommend replacing it with a standard MSH and MSH parts.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:57:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MadProfessor:
Mine didn't come with a pin.

Same here. It never gave me any problems, but I replaced it with an Ed Brown MSH just the same.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:30:10 AM EDT
You are correct that Springfield does not use the cap retaining pin, even though the MSH is drilled for one. When you replace the internals with a proper spring and cap, add the cap retaining pin, too. On the Springers that I have retained the original MSH, that is what I have done, and the results are a standard MSH, with an inoperable lock.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:19:04 PM EDT
I replaced the MSH and parts on my SA GI Champion.

I found a parkerized GI type Flat housing at a Gunshow for $15 and the guts for $10.

Easy swap - works like it was designed now

Lots of info on 1911.org forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=1595&highlight=replace
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:17:41 PM EDT
Springy gives you a little pin that's shaped like a lazy V to put in the hole when taking it off. There must be some interference with the lock with a standard pin that stays in.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:16:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shotgun:
Springy gives you a little pin that's shaped like a lazy V to put in the hole when taking it off. There must be some interference with the lock with a standard pin that stays in.

So that's what that thing is for! Mine came with two wrenches, two ILS keys, and that little thingy. I didn't see any mention of it in the manual.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:33:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2005 8:35:34 AM EDT by hrt4me]

Originally Posted By sashmore:
You are correct that Springfield does not use the cap retaining pin, even though the MSH is drilled for one. When you replace the internals with a proper spring and cap, add the cap retaining pin, too. On the Springers that I have retained the original MSH, that is what I have done, and the results are a standard MSH, with an inoperable lock.

That's the same thing I was planning to do, i.e. retain the original Springfield MSH and simply buy a new mainspring cap and its retaining pin. I had wondered whether I could use the same mainspring housing instead of buying a new one, and just leave the ILS in place in the unlocked position. The ILS lock won't bother me in place as long as it stays inoperable. Thanks!
Top Top