Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 12:47:11 PM EDT
What's the difference between the lighweight GI champion and the regular champion, besides the 8 ounces in weight?

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Aluminum frame vs Steel frame

I guess it doesn't affect reliability or cause any other issues? (the aluminum frame)

-mark
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#4]
There's no difference in reliability. The obvious difference is the weight and material. If you don't mind the extra weight, you may prefer the steel. Personally, the extra weight doesn't bother me, and I elieve that steel offers a wider variety of finish types, and better wear characteristics in certain situations (the biggest being the feed ramp area, but that's a moot point because they both have a ramped barrel).

It just boild down to preference. You can't go too wrong either way. I carry a lwt compact, and my only beef is that the Armory Kote finish doesn't hold up well at all. I've got a steel champ though, that will definitely be put in the rotation once I dehorn it and complete reliability testing.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:07:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There's no difference in reliability. The obvious difference is the weight and material. If you don't mind the extra weight, you may prefer the steel. Personally, the extra weight doesn't bother me, and I elieve that steel offers a wider variety of finish types, and better wear characteristics in certain situations (the biggest being the feed ramp area, but that's a moot point because they both have a ramped barrel).

It just boild down to preference. You can't go too wrong either way. I carry a lwt compact, and my only beef is that the Armory Kote finish doesn't hold up well at all. I've got a steel champ though, that will definitely be put in the rotation once I dehorn it and complete reliability testing.

awesome, thanks for the feedback.

should have a lightweight champion on my way soon!

thought it would be a good start to break into the 1911 world, know nothing about them, thinking about ordering some better parts, grip safety, trigger, what else would be good to change out when I get it?

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Some things the Lightweight champion offer over the GI are Polished feedramp, Beveled Mag opening, better sights (novak style, possibly night sights), nicer grip safety, ambi thumb safety, nicer long trigger. nicer hammer, different grips...

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, but i'm sure that i'm missing something
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Some things the Lightweight champion offer over the GI are Polished feedramp, Beveled Mag opening, better sights (novak style, possibly night sights), nicer grip safety, ambi thumb safety, nicer long trigger. nicer hammer, different grips...

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, but i'm sure that i'm missing something

yep, seems like it's a much better package.

can't afford $800-$900 right now, gonna go with the GI champion and work my way up over time from there.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked this Lightweight Champion up for $660 a couple of years ago.  Just had it refinished and the sights changed.

MadDog

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
gonna go with the GI champion and work my way up over time from there.

Nothing wrong with that...half the fun of 1911's is tinkering. Do some of it yourself, you will have fun doing it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top