Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2005 9:00:59 PM EDT
Before now I was in the market for my first sidearm, I had a couple models in mind but was leaning toward a Beretta 92, Springfield XD or a HK USP, However that all changed today as I was surfing Guns America, I came across a Springfield  full size GI 1911 A1 .45  Parkerized, I’ll also be carrying this when I get my CCW, any negatives or reasons why I should skip this model, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Many people do not like the sights on that model for CCW. The reason is that they are not as fast as far as aquireng your target as 3dots or bigger sights. Some that reload also prefer the opened ejection port because the one on the G.I. can ding the brass. It is a fantastic pistol though and I do not reload for .45 so I do not care and I shoot more accurate with the G.I. sights than the novaks on my other 1911. The milspec is about $100 more than the G.I. and has three dots and the opened ejection port. Both are great pistols. My G.I. is just as reliable and accurate as my loaded. The XD is also a fine CCW pistol though. I would probably go XD for CCW over the G.I. . That is just a personal preference thugh.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#2]
The G.I. is a great pistol. The sights I don't care for but they're not horrible just takes some getting used to. I enjoy shooting my $375 G.I. as much as my $1100 Kimber. XD is good choice also, I have a XD-40 Tactical and it is a ton of fun to shoot. Any of the choices are great weapons and will serve the purpose well.

However those being all double stack full size, the 1911 will be easier to conceal being that it is slimmer and single stack. Hell it's a 1911 how can you argue?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#3]
GI 1911 is a great 1911 to start with, IMO. Then you can change what you want instead of having a bunch of crap loaded upon a 1911 you have no use nor desire for.

I changed my sights, trigger & barrel on mine & shoots as good as a Gold Cup now for about half the price.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I love my GI. Sigths do take getting used to , as others have said. But its low price and reliability sure do make it hard to pass up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have a good FFL that will do transfers for you at a reasonable price, check out www.budsgunshop.com for the best prices on the WWII' and the Mil-Spec's.

I bought my Mil-Spec from him a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the GI sights thats one of the reasons I am getting one. I already have a Milspec I do not like the sights. I learned how to shoot the 1911 in service and used the GI type sights. not the only reason I am getting a GI  just the deciding factor.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:09:46 AM EDT
[#7]
For CCW, 1911s are nice and thin.  A 5" steel framed 1911 is going to be a bit bulky and heavy for CCW.  

You might want to consider an alloy framed commander-length gun (4" to 4 1/4" barrel) instead, such as a Colt lightweight commander, Kimber Procarry, of the Springfield equivalent.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top