Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 8:21:30 PM EDT
This is a very handsome firearm, I must say.  I do, however, have two questions about it:

1)  In some of the pictures of it that I've seen, it appeared to have the old G.I.-sytle short thumb safety.  Does it come with this, or the newer elongated type?  The elongated safety has proved much easier for me to manipulate, and it would be a shame if this was not an option on such a handsome firearm.

2)  The pistol has the Novak™ sights, which I understand are of the three-dot variety.  Is there an option to have these configured as night sights?

Thanks in advance, all.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:06:13 AM EDT
[#1]
No dice, eh?

I checked the gun shop an hour away and they didn't have any of these pistols in stock, so I still don't know about the safety...  That said, I think Springfield would be willing to ship the weapon with tritium sights if one were to request it.  When they serviced my XD's sights, they actually replaced the things for free--all I paid was shipping and handling.  I'm sure that for a marginal increase in total cost, they'd be willing to add Novak™ night sights.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:26:05 AM EDT
[#2]
This?
Tactical Combat Black Stainless Steel PX9154L
Caliber: .45 ACP  
Capacity: 7+1  
Barrel: 5", 1:16 LH  
Sights: Novak® Patented Low Mount  
Sight Radius: 6.50"  
Size: 38 ozs., 8.5" overall length  
Trigger Pull: 5 to 6 lbs.  
Magazines: 2  
MSRP: $877.00

Or This?
Black Stainless™ PX9152L
Sights: Fully adjustable Bo Mar Cut Rear Sight with 3-Dot Tritium™
Sight Radius: 6.5"
Size: 35 ozs., 8.5" overall length
Magazines: 2 SS Mags. w/ slam pads installed
MSRP: $1,080.00
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the second one on order right now.  I did handle the top one and no it does not have night sights.  The safety is a GI style one.  Easy fixes though.  The weapon is immaculate.  It is one of the best looking 1911s I have ever seen produced from SA.  The black finish is not like the normal black stainless that they use to have.  It is smooth to the touch like armor tuff.  I can't wait till I get my new toy. HEHE    
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, guys.  And yes, it was the former weapon, not the latter.  The 4L.

I'm confident that Springfield Armory would be willing to use tritium sights as a cost-added feature if one were to request them--any idea if they'd be willing to do as such for the safety lever?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Just to keep everyone appraised, I emailed Springfield a couple of days back in regards to this matter (and a tangentially-related M1A stock question) and today, I got their reply:

Mr. Bass:
Thank you for your words of support!  We are always happy to hear from
satisfied customers.  We appreciate your feedback.

In reference to your questions, our catalog items cannot be ordered with
differing options.  However, you could have Novak night-sights and an
ambi safety put on the Black Stainless through our Custom Shop.  The
SOCOM does come with the metal butt plate (the urban camo stock has a
rubber butt pad.)  You could purchase either butt plate separately from
us and install it after you have your SOCOM, but unfortunately it is not
possible to order the gun with a different butt plate.

I hope this answers your questions.  We really appreciate your support.

Respectfully,
Adam Jones
Regional Dealer Relations
Springfield Armory
420 W. Main Street
Geneseo, IL  61254
(Toll Free) 800-680-6866

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:26:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I would like to have the first one. I looked at one in a shop and I wish I would have seen it before I got my Bi Tone. The GI saftey is one of the things I liked about it because I hate SAs ambi saftey levers. Does any one know of a place that sells ambi GI type safty levers?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:41:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I would like to have the first one. I looked at one in a shop and I wish I would have seen it before I got my Bi Tone. The GI saftey is one of the things I liked about it because I hate SAs ambi saftey levers. Does any one know of a place that sells ambi GI type safty levers?

Chip McCormick
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:52:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#9]
How much are the Tactical Combat Black Stainless Steel PX9154L
going for where you guys are located

I see the MSRP at $877.00 but I was wondering how much under that they are running.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I see the MSRP at $877.00 but I was wondering how much under that they are running.

There's one on GunBroker.com right now for $669.00. Here's the link if you want to see it.
gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=35563220

RC
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:46:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's one on GunBroker.com right now for $669.00. Here's the link if you want to see it.
gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=35563220

RC

I was looking at that very one.  The local FFL holder that I use quite a bit got one for me.  Out the door for $721.60 after tax and shipping from the wholesaler.  That matched what it would cost to buy the gunbroker gun with shipping and transfer fee and I spent my money local as opposed to online.  Worked out well.  Check around with some local FFL's and see what they will do for you.
It is a very nice 1911 by the way.  I put 100 rds. through it and the only problem was mag related.  It would lock the slide back with one round left in the mag and said round was floating in the chamber.  I presume that is a mag issue.  It was with the factory mags that came with the gun.  I wish now I had labeled both of them and tried to see if it was one or the other that was causing the hangup.  I picked up a CMC shooting star at the funshow over the weekend but haven't had the chance to try it out yet.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:52:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like a Kimber Eclipse copy to me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:13:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Looks like a Kimber Eclipse copy to me.

That very well could be.  However.......I read a gunrag review of the 9152 model (take that for what it's worth) that implied Kimber came out with the Eclipse after the 9152 and was retailing it for less than the 9152.  In turn Springfield came out with the 9154 sans the adj night sights, magwell, ambi-safety etc. on the 9152 to compete with the price of the Eclipse.  Again....that is from a gunrag and could very well be BS.  
In either case the Springer is a damn fine 1911 with an internal extractor and a lifetime waranty to back it up.  I aint talking smack on the Kimber.......came close to getting one and would have if the seller had taken my offer.
A friend of mine has an Eclipse coming in the next day or so.  A range trip is most certainly in order to compare the two.  Don't know when that might be but I will post some results after.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#14]
To be honest, I think I started tactical stainless look that Springfield took a hold with my PX9151L that I bought last Nov. 04' that I sent to the Springfield Custom Shop.  FYI, I'm a southpaw shooter.

Started with a box stock PX9151L and had the Custom Shop perform/install the following;
Install ambi mag release
Black Stainless finish complete
Thinline grip screws
Thinline grip screw escutcheon
Black Thin std mic dd ambi grip lh/rh
Install Novak rear site w/tritium
Install Dove tail front site w/tritium
Below is the picture of it.

The factory issue Stainless Tactical is short the following:
ambi mag release
Novak rear site w/tritium
front site w/tritium
ambi safety release

http://www.hunt101.com/img/320089.JPG

Yes, I put about an extra $300.00 into her, but it looks and functions like a dream, just they way I imagined it would be. The Springfield Custom Shop gets two thumbs from me, however the next thing I see is a 1911 with the same type features as my Custom Shop Springfield, sort of.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I saw one of these for sale (used) in the gun shop yesterday. No night sights and GI style safety...me no likey. But the asking price sounds good: $499! It looks a little rough in some spots (big scratches, not pretty), but for 499 I think I'm willing to overlook some stuff.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Updated: Above is the photo of the Custom 1911
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:46:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Glad I search before starting another thread. I am wanting to order a "high end" 1911 with  the o.t. money I got from Rita. Looking at the SA Loaded Black Stainless:
Black Stainless™ PX9152L(Image)  
Sights: Fully adjustable Bo Mar Cut Rear Sight with 3-Dot Tritium™
Sight Radius: 6.5"
Size: 35 ozs., 8.5" overall length
Magazines: 2 SS Mags. w/ slam pads installed
MSRP: $1,080.00

Anyone have one? If so any mechanical defect or things you do not like? I wanted the Operator until I found this one(and decided the light rail would really be useless for me), it has got to be the most eye appealing firearm I have seen in a while. Also, if you don't mind whats the price you guys paid so I know what to expect. I'll have to order as most shops around here do not keep stuff like it in stock. But, I am buying a Bushy M4gery at the same time, so considering I'll be dropping 2 grand on em at once I doubt they'll mind ordering for me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Rat I have that pistol, picked it up a few weeks ago. The only problem are the mags are junk. Check out .PAGE 10 of the Springfield photo page for details
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I figured the mags were trash, every SA seems to be that way except the XD's. Which aren't Springfield produced anyway. That sure is an awesome 1911, now if I can just find one. I have the "stock watch" option set up on gungallery, but since it is not available I don't know what price it's gonna be. Do they have the round magwell "extension" I guess you can call it? It looks like they do, but I haven't seen a side view or upside down picture yet.

How's the trigger and fit n finish on them up close in person?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I figured the mags were trash, every SA seems to be that way except the XD's. Which aren't Springfield produced anyway. That sure is an awesome 1911, now if I can just find one. I have the "stock watch" option set up on gungallery, but since it is not available I don't know what price it's gonna be. Do they have the round magwell "extension" I guess you can call it? It looks like they do, but I haven't seen a side view or upside down picture yet.

How's the trigger and fit n finish on them up close in person?

Here is a crappy picture of the mag well (battery dead). The fit and finish is excellent and the trigger is 5.1 lbs on the Lyman gauge. The dealer I got mine from ordered it from Sports South, it was about $50.00 cheaper than gun gallery. I paid $825+tax. I am not sure of cost, I always buy from him if I think it's a fair price. He is a nice guy and does all my transfers for free.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:27:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Good deal, thanks for the picture. It looked like it had the extended/flared magwell on them. I've been shopping for days now on which 1911 I want, pretty sure I want this one. But chances to buy the expensive 1911s don't come often for me so I am trying to make it count. Any problems with the black wearing off of it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top