Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2003 3:29:08 PM EDT
Just picked up my first 1911 and I already have a question. The instructions say to pop an empty magazine into the handgun and I should hear it click into position but it will not go in unless I hold down the mag release button. Am I doing something wrong?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 1:15:41 AM EDT
[#1]
My Springfield was like that new also.  It just needs to be worked a little and things will wear in.  I had to push the mag in somewhat hard a couple of times to work it in.  It now works fine.  The slide was also very rough before it had a few boxes through it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 1:23:44 AM EDT
[#2]
1911 mags throw folks for a loop who are used to other types of guns. You need to push very firmly and fairly quick with out of the box 1911/mags in order to hear the click and mag will be flush.
I'm guessing this is what you are experiencing; does the mag seem like it's stuck about halfway in? If so, try the above description. Also, if the mag will drop free quick and easy once you have been getting it in by depressing the mag release, things should be normal.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:38:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Yea, it only seems to go in half way then stops. I was afraid to force it in in fear of breaking something so thats why I pressed the release to get it in there. Ill try yor methods to see if that works otherwise I'll have to run some ammo thru it. What brand do you guys recommend and how often do you clean it since its not the easiest thing to fieldstrip :)
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
how often do you clean it since its not the easiest thing to fieldstrip

Excuse me? The 1911 is one of the easiest guns made to field strip & clean. What part is giving you problems? Any gun should be cleaned every time it's fired.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#5]
He may be like me.

My first handgun was a Beretta 92.  Press, flick, and its off.

Sure, the springfield isn't hard, but when I got my mil-spec operator, I thought it was a PITA to field strip at first too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#6]
sorry, Didnt mean it that way. My first handgun was a s&w sigma and thats cakewalk. Ive just seen pictures of fieldstripping a 1911 and it looks way more involved to a newbie to me. I guess over time i'll be in your shoes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ive just seen pictures of fieldstripping a 1911 and it looks way more involved to a newbie to me.
Yeah, there's a whole lot more parts in a 1911 but for your average field stripping, it's not too nad. After all, millions of soldiers who were less than perfect learned how to do it.

I guess over time i'll be in your shoes.
I wouldn't suggest it, they stink.

Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#8]
You can push the mag release button in until the magazine passes that point, then ease it in until you hear the click OR start the mag in until you feel it stop, then with the palm of your hand, slap it home.
With the slide off, you can peek into the frame as you insert the mag to see why it "hangs up" there. When assembled you will know what it's doing when it does that, maybe you will find that more reassuring.
And yes, the first few times can be intimidating breaking it down, never seeing one before, let alone if someone is mechanically inclined or not.
Nice first .45 BTW!
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
how often do you clean it since its not the easiest thing to fieldstrip

Excuse me? The 1911 is one of the easiest guns made to field strip & clean. What part is giving you problems? Any gun should be cleaned every time it's fired.

I'm going to disagree. I think the disassembly and cleaning of a 1911 style gun is a pain in the butt when you're not using fancy stuff like gunscrubber and just get to spray, brush quickly and spray again. It takes me at least 20 minutes getting all the powder residue from the slide and getting all the gunk out of the locking lugs. I can do a complete detail strip of my Glock and have the whole thing back togehter in under 20.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:45:14 AM EDT
[#10]
One thing I do not like about my Springfield (1911ss loaded) is that you have to have a Allen wrench to remove the guide rod to take it down for cleaning unlike a mil-spec.  It was my first 1911 and I did not do my homework(to happy at gun store to think).  
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm going to disagree. I think the disassembly and cleaning of a 1911 style gun is a pain in the butt
Yet millions of service men have learned how to do it practically blindfolded. What exactly gives you trouble?

when you're not using fancy stuff like gunscrubber
Fancy? Gun Scrubber is pretty basic cleaning gear, IMO.

and just get to spray, brush quickly and spray again. It takes me at least 20 minutes getting all the powder residue from the slide and getting all the gunk out of the locking lugs.
May I suggest you try using quetips for cleaning those hard to reach areas?

I can do a complete detail strip of my Glock and have the whole thing back togehter in under 20.
Yes, but is it **clean**?

Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Good purchase

I have a 1911A1 in a two tone finish

only beef I have with mine is tha mags are not "drop free"

But otherwise, one of the nicest non-Colt 1911s I have ever owned
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Since we are on the subject of cleaning it. what products do you use. I use breakfree on my ar15 only. Is gunsrubber good to use on the 1911? any help would be appreciated. thanks for all the info guys.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Everybody has their favorites, I'm sure.
Hoppe's #9 is my old stand by solvent...I love the aroma too.
Also having various cans of solvent to spray away debris after the Hoppe's and a brush does it's job helps.
For lubing a .45, I have used everything from tri-flon, (now tri-flow), slick 50, most brands of gun oil to a thin film of gun grease on the rails.
Other than some staying on better, I noticed no big difference in any brand or type.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Gun Scrub is good for those quick cleanings but I'd still use Hoppes or something similiar for a thorough cleaning with a toothbrush.

Brake cleaner can be subbed for Gun Scrub if you're poor like me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top