Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 11:36:57 AM EDT
Is it true all XDs are made in Crotia? If so, is there a chance XDs will be made here in the U.S? Who designed the XD? Is "Crotia" an ally of the U.S?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is it true all XDs are made in Crotia?

Yes.  The gun is a pure Croatian thing, although they obviously "borrowed" heavily from SIG and Glock designs.  Springfield is only the US distributor.  Before Springfield picked it up, it was imported to the US by a different distributor and was called the HS2000.  Springfield re-named it the XD . Springfield makes nothing.  Springfield is just a middle/sales-man.

world.guns.ru/handguns/hg48-e.htm

If so, is there a chance XDs will be made here in the U.S?

I really don't think so.

Who designed the XD?

Based on what I read, it was some Croatians working with a Croat company called IM Metals.  

Is "Crotia" an ally of the U.S?

Who cares?  What difference does it make?  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#2]
IMO, probably the best gun design since the glock.
Even though, it borrows heavily from the Sig, glock and 1911.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I just acquired an XD45. I haven't had a chance to shoot it, but  so far just dry firing it, I like it. Hopefully I get to launch a few rounds downrange tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I am and always will (I think) be a 1911 first guy.  I have tried Glocks over the years and owned 3.  I could never get comfortable with them because of the unusual grip angle as compared to 1911's and SIG's.  Just too slow to get on target for me when 80% of my range time is spent with one of the other two.

Never cared for the polymer mags.  Never was comfortable with not other safety other than the little plastic sliver in the trigger.

I had never fired an XD at all until I tried a 40 that belongs to a friend a few weeks ago.  It talked me into trying one in "my" caliber.

I bought one in 45acp last week and I just went over 1500 rds with it.  I have to say (I never thought I would) I really like this pistol.  It points right, it has a grips safety that operates without the shooter even being aware it is there.  It hits to POA.  I have not shot any groups yet, but 15yd A zone hits (at 2 in just over 1 second with a relatively unfamiliar - and mushy trigger like all of these type actions) are not a problem.  

I have fed it every bullet weight and size I had including several hundred OLD rounds from my "box" that catches the ends of boxes, old ammo, and stuff that didn’t do so well.  The only thing I did not try in it yet is the old CCI 200gr "Flying Ashtray" and I am not sure that round is even in production anymore.  So far, not ONE problem of ANY kind.  I ran the first 500 with the factory lube in place and adding one EVERY SO small dot of break free to the rear of each slide rail before putting the slide back on.  After 500 I inspected it, wiped it out with a paper towel, added two more tiny little dots of break free to the same places, and have not touched it for the last 1000+.

The mags are stainless and not difficult to load.  The recoil is - to me - mild with a moderate tendency to muzzle flip, but less that the G21 in my opinion.  The addition of a loaded chamber indicator and a cocked indicator that can both be felt simultaneously with the off hand in the dark is a plus.  The grip is very comfortable to my medium size hands.  They have done a better job stuffing 13rds of 45 in there than any I have tried.  It comes up on target very quickly for me without having to drag the front sight back down from the clouds on presentation.    

I have had others that have shot this one complain (mildly) about the recoil and about the mags being difficult to load.  I am almost 50.  If this gun kicks too hard or is too hard to load, you either need to work on your upper body strength, or for those will legitimate limitations, pick another gun and caliber.

It will not replace my 1911's, but it just might replace one of my P220's for duty when I cannot carry a 1911 and relegate the 220 to my Jeep gun.  

I have tried a lot of guns over the years, and always try to go into things with an open mind.  I never saw myself liking a lot of the later design polymer pistols, but in the last 5 years, two have changed my mind.

The Kahr PM9 has replaced the J frame Smith in my pocket, and now I believe this XD may just replace my 220!

It's ugly!... but so am I.  It is a defensive tool.... who cares.  It will look better when it gets some honest wear on it.

Oh… and uh…  the included holster and mag pouch…..  Absolute junk in my opinion.  In a pinch I tried the holster under a coat Saturday for a few hours.  It’s purpose in life is now to fill the hole in foam in the box it came in.

Does anyone know if it will fit holsters made for the 9 and 40 versions?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Agreed its an amazing hand gun for the money and the new USA trigger is very smoothe.  I feel it has taken from some of the finest guns and incorporated ALL the good qualities into a well rounded package.  Now if they would just do something to make the finish more durable it would be almost perfect.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed its an amazing hand gun for the money and the new USA trigger is very smoothe.  I feel it has taken from some of the finest guns and incorporated ALL the good qualities into a well rounded package.  Now if they would just do something to make the finish more durable it would be almost perfect.

The new XD45 has a melonite finish, and springfield says it will be applied to the other calivers soon...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.  The gun is a pure Croatian thing, although they obviously "borrowed" heavily from SIG and Glock designs.  Springfield is only the US distributor.  Before Springfield picked it up, it was imported to the US by a different distributor and was called the HS2000.  Springfield re-named it the XD . Springfield makes nothing.  Springfield is just a middle/sales-man.

I really don't think so.

Who designed the XD?

Based on what I read, it was some Croatians working with a Croat company called IM Metals.  

I was just wondering because I am a ignorant son-of-a-biych. I only stuff that are either made by one of our allies or either made in the U.S.

Is Crotia America's ally?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is it true all XDs are made in Crotia? If so, is there a chance XDs will be made here in the U.S? Who designed the XD? Is "Crotia" an ally of the U.S?

DIDN'T REALIZE YOU WERE PAYING $250-300 EXTRA FOR A SPRINGFIELD NAME PLATE ETCHED ON?

$300 bucks for tactical name inscription.  Google HS2000 if don't believe me.   Used to sell for $200 without the SA nameplate.  Same exact gun.  No worries though the Croats make a better gun then SA you just pay more for it now.  Just keep it oiled and you will not have issues.  Rust can appear around the bore/barrel so keep it lubed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really don't think so.

Who designed the XD?

I was just wondering because I am a ignorant son-of-a-biych. I only stuff that are either made by one of our allies or either made in the U.S.

Is Crotia America's ally?

Croatia=CROATS our allies in the former Yugoslavia which they used to be apart of.  We were bombing SERBS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top