Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 2:55:44 PM EDT
Recieved a message from SG this afternoon, doesn't this price seem really low.  Am I missing something?

Speer Gold Dots at SG Link
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I might be missing something, but I just ordered 1000 rnds...

Like most deals I try to get from them, they will probably just send a card in a week that says they are out of stock.  These deals always say "in stock" when I order them.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I wasn't aware that they had those kinda of business practices.  Seems kinds of crappy to show it in stock then not come through with the product.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Just recieved an email saying there sold out.  I ordered as soon as I got the email, what a scam.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:43:29 AM EDT
[#4]
It was recall ammo anyways.  If you want some go to Outdoor Marksman, they have the same thing for 44.95, only they left the label visible in their ad.  Well, they are sold out of the 165gr, but still have the 180gr in stock for the same price.  The 180s get better penetration and more reliable expansion, as long as you don't get the 1 in 100,000 primer failure with this ammo.

Both 53970 and 53962 were recalled from Govt Agencies and LE in 2004.

Recall Gold Dot ammo at Outdoor Marksman
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:26:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, my order went through fine, but this morning I received an email stating that item is "restricted to your billing zip code".  

I live in Northern Nevada and there are no restrictions.  I called their customer service and was told they are sold out.

This is the 3rd time this year that I have tried to order from them and each time they have some bullsh*t excuse why they cannot complete my order.

They said that they need a permit to sell ammo here.  They most certainly do not...

I will never even "try" to order from sportsman's guide again...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:41:17 AM EDT
[#6]
if it sounds too good to be true it is

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well, my order went through fine, but this morning I received an email stating that item is "restricted to your billing zip code".  

You're not the first to find they won't ship to the Reno area.  They don't seem to have that problem with Gardnerville.  Check the Hometown area for that thread.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#8]
That's why I posted, because I thought it was to good to be true.

No where does it mention it was recall ammo.  Never knew about the recall.

The only reason I purchased a membership for SG was to save more money then the membership cost when I purchased a muzzleloader last month.  Don't plan on continuing the membership with the kinda of business practices they use.

Thanks

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#9]
To be fair regarding the recall, Speer did claim it was only 1 in 100,000 that would have a primer problem.  However, given that it was delivered to .Gov and LE agencies they recalled it.  Which is why when you find it there is the label "Not for LE use".  You just need to be mindful of a squib malfunction that lodges the bullet in the barrel.  It's promoted as cheap full power 'Target' practice ammo now.

<Off Topic>
I think you made the right move on the membership when purchasing the higher dollar item.  They do have decent products with good deals from time to time so you could get your monies worth this coming year. <\Off Topic>

I've been shooting the Wolf 180gr in my G27 and it's been CHEAP and just fine.  For carry purposes I'll have either Ranger or Gold Dot in 180gr.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:10:12 AM EDT
[#10]
i got about 8k of the "not for l.e. use" 180gr. awhile back for a real good price and have since been shooting only that stuff out of my two glocks with not a single problem

kinda spoiled by it now
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#11]
as soon as i got the email i went to go order some but it was already listed as sold out. that WOULD have been one hell of a deal but i think someone relized a mistake and stoped it before anyone could order any.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know much about hand loading, but would it make any sense to buy a bunch of this stuff, pull the bullets replace the primers, and reload with the same powder?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't know much about hand loading, but would it make any sense to buy a bunch of this stuff, pull the bullets replace the primers, and reload with the same powder?

Not unless someone has a much better bullet puller and more time than I do. Too much work , for the savings IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top