Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/5/2006 5:27:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2006 6:43:28 PM EDT by Outsider_10fp]
Tell me about this little jewel of a 1911.
I got a chance to shoot one of these today and now I am gonna be close to $1000 poorer!

You can see a full blown version of the events leading to the demise of my Glock 36 HERE
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:47:38 AM EDT
I've got a Colt government, two Kimber Ultra Carrys and two S&W PDs. The ones I absolutely will not give up are the two Smiths.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:26:51 AM EDT
I have a 4.25 inch S&W 1911 PD , scandium frame and love it, feeds flawlessly all types ammo so far and is accurate enough formy skill level
I am a very happy enthusiastic owner.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:55:35 AM EDT
they are fantastic guns, I just bought a SW1911 stainless the other day and it functioned perfectly at the first range outing.

I my FFL will have my new SW1911pd with rail in the next few days and ill be picking that one up as well. They are GREAT 1911s!!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:37:20 AM EDT
They are nice, but keep in mind this is not a platform most Smiths will work on so what you buy is what you get. Not many options to get rid of the MIM parts nor would this work as a base for a custom build.

For 1911's I stick with Colt & SA (Kimber is great as well, I just do not care for them myself.
When trying to get a real light carry piece, I go with a Glock.
I don't think Glock is worrying about this cutting into their market.

I am a true 1911 die hard junkie and would never get rid of my 1911's but at the same time I recognize that a Glock has its own purpose as well.

What it all comes down to...
Buy what you like. Just make sure you know what the limits are with everything you buy.

Good luck and enjoy your new purchase.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:15:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 2:23:50 PM EDT by sysfailur]
I love my SW1911PD 5". I still have mine all stock but am possibly looking to change the grips--the standard are fine, I just am going to try a new look ;)

Btw you should be able to get a SW1911PD (either length) for about $700. Or less if you find a good deal. After I had ordered my pistol online for $700 shipped and it arrived at my local FFL he told me "If you had asked us yesterday we just had a sale on those down to $649 from our distributor". Unfortunate but with tax it's still $687.94 anyway. Point is, you can get them for less than 1 grand.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:15:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sysfailur:
I love my SW1911PD 5". I still have mine all stock but am possibly looking to change the grips--the standard are fine, I just am going to try a new look ;)

Btw you should be able to get a SW1911PD (either length) for about $700. Or less if you find a good deal. After I had ordered my pistol online for $700 shipped and it arrived at my local FFL he told me "If you had asked us yesterday we just had a sale on those down to $649 from our distributor". Unfortunate but with tax it's still $687.94 anyway. Point is, you can get them for less than 1 grand.

Around 850 out the door w/o Crimson "beamz" grand with 'em.
I dont tweak a whole lot on pistols ,except Nite sights. Trigger is nice out the box.
It'll be my new CCW , pick it up saturday
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:17:50 PM EDT
Get the rail.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:41:16 PM EDT
I stand corrected to a point...
There are smiths who will do some work on these.
Marc Morganti (AMAZING WORK!) of GeminiCustoms.com will do a bobtail and some other things from what I am told. Marc is getting ready to start a true custom build off a Caspian for me soon!
You are still somewhat limited in what you can do but if you like the Smith then it is a great buy....
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:00:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2006 5:03:54 AM EDT by Melvin_Johnson]
I had a stainless full-sized Gov't Model last year that I bought new. I carried it for ONE DAY in my Milt Sparks IWB holster and the gun rusted! Yes, it rusted and the frame was pitted and stained very badly. I sent the gun back to Smith with a letter asking them to Melonite or otherwise refinish the gun in a more corrosion-resistant finish. All they did was bead blast it and mail it back to me. I only saved this one picture but the gun was also showing rust along the dust cover and had a couple spots on the slide.

After I got the gun back, I traded it for an Arsenal SAM-5.

I am not a heavy sweater. And I have regularly carried a stainless Springfield Loaded in the exact same holster. The Springfield has never shown signs of rust after continued carry in the hot Arizona summer. I don't know if my experience is unique but I had expected better performance from a "stain-less" firearm.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:45:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dsg2003gt:
they are fantastic guns, I just bought a SW1911 stainless the other day and it functioned perfectly at the first range outing.

I my FFL will have my new SW1911pd with rail in the next few days and ill be picking that one up as well. They are GREAT 1911s!!!!

Big +1
Excellent pistol, true sleeper.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:11:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DocGun:

Originally Posted By dsg2003gt:

Big +1
Excellent pistol, true sleeper.[/b]

Couldn't agree more. JD
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:30:30 PM EDT
I love my 4.25" S&W 1911PD

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:27:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2006 10:29:32 PM EDT by sysfailur]
Nice mag selection gunz4me ;) I picked up 5 Novak labeled Mec-Gar's as well!

EDIT: A note on the rust issue. The coating on the Scandium frame of the PD is kick ass.. whatever it is--I don't know but it rocks! I've shot it in the rain and with sweaty hands and have not had any problems. The coating is very easy to clean and seems very resistant.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:53:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sysfailur:
Nice mag selection gunz4me ;) I picked up 5 Novak labeled Mec-Gar's as well!

I also have some Wilson 47D mags that are not in the picture. Of course, in keeping up with the black rifle disease, my pistol now has some black grips (Pachmayr 1911 GM-G). It seems like I have this black gun theme going these days
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:24:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 8:36:23 AM EDT by MillerSHO]

Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
I had a stainless full-sized Gov't Model last year that I bought new. I carried it for ONE DAY in my Milt Sparks IWB holster and the gun rusted! Yes, it rusted and the frame was pitted and stained very badly. I sent the gun back to Smith with a letter asking them to Melonite or otherwise refinish the gun in a more corrosion-resistant finish. All they did was bead blast it and mail it back to me. I only saved this one picture but the gun was also showing rust along the dust cover and had a couple spots on the slide.

After I got the gun back, I traded it for an Arsenal SAM-5.

I am not a heavy sweater. And I have regularly carried a stainless Springfield Loaded in the exact same holster. The Springfield has never shown signs of rust after continued carry in the hot Arizona summer. I don't know if my experience is unique but I had expected better performance from a "stain-less" firearm.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/GunPictures032.jpg

Hindsight can be 20/20 but just looking at that "stainless" finish even in a picture I would have guessed it would rust with your type of use.

Just look how flat the color of the stainless steel is, I'd be curious to know of the ratio's of the different metals.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:56:04 AM EDT
April 2006 Guns & Ammo has a "Gun Tests" of the 1911PD on p70 for what it's worth.

I bought it to read on the airplane.

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:52:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 10:52:39 AM EDT by ALPHAGHOST]

Originally Posted By Kaw77:
I have a 4.25 inch S&W 1911 PD , scandium frame and love it, feeds flawlessly all types ammo so far and is accurate enough formy skill level
I am a very happy enthusiastic owner.

+1

besides some of SA's and Kimber's models, SW 1911s are the best bet for the $$$$$s; waiting on the 5in 1911PD w/ rail
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:55:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 4:56:02 PM EDT by jackd1]
Already had the 5" 1911PD and picked up the 4.5" 1911PD to go with it yesterday at McBride's in Austin. These are the first 1911s I have really been impressed with in several years. The 5" has been perfect and expect the 4.5 to be as well. JD
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:43:48 PM EDT
I lucked into a package deal on gunbroker.com for 5 Wilson 47d mags for only about $20 a piece, so I scooped them up.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:53:58 PM EDT
I just purchased a new stainless 1911SC with the 4.25" bbl and love it! This thing is much easier to carry CCW than my fullsize steel framed 1911. I think these are the absolute best deal out there right now for a commander style 1911. Only a couple of things I would change. Love the Novak sights but wish they were tritium and I wish Smith and Wesson would checker the frontstrap rather than "groove it". I plan to purchase a checkered wraparound from Wilson Combat and will eventually upgrade to nights sights. I was considering a Wilson Combat Professional commander but could not justify the additional $1000 plus. I can buy a lot of ammo for $1000!
Top Top