Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/4/2005 3:43:13 PM EDT
If YOU were standing waist-deep in toxic water and a band of looters was heading YOUR way, and all you has was a handgun and a few magazines, would you want it be:

1) a $2000+ tricked-out this-will-impress-the-gunshop-commandos 1911 that's now rusted shut?

2) a Sig that rusted shut yesterday?

3) a Glock that's STILL FUNCTIONAL despite the foul water?

This social breakdown down south has demonstrated to me that my choice(s) are sound...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:48:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:49:44 PM EDT
how about a well cared for 1911 that I can shoot better than any other handgun I have ever handled. This encludes Glock.
I will say that the Glock system is outstanding when it comes to reliability but if I can't shoot it strait it does me no good.
Also my $2000 plus dollar 1911 most likely would not rust shut. This platform has been more battle tested than any other military sidearm. I am sure it will work.

On another note if all I have to solve the problem is a handgun then I have worse problems.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:16:04 PM EDT
How odd I should find this topic.

I used to be a sewer worker, and have some idea of what fetid waters to do metal. I have at my disposal raceguns built of 1911 platform, Sig classic series pistols, and glocks.

Glocks work. Period.

Sigs work pretty well, but like to get surface rust.

1911's depend on the quality of parts put into them. Don't cheap out with any part, including mags and ammo.

Which would I have, all things being equal? Glock series - smaller, lighter and better ergonomics than the sigs, easier to carry w/o the hammer poking me in the floating ribs.

Whose fantasy football team is winning now, anyway?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:47:01 PM EDT
the one that works

obviousily the 1911
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:56:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SGB:

Like I didn't see that coming...talk about being close-minded!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:05:58 PM EDT
I'm sure my freind at the range who just bought a new Glock 19 that won't go through a full magazine w/o a failure to extract would love to hear about Glock perfection.

Simple truth is every manufacturer ships a piece of crap from time to time.

Kent
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:41:13 PM EDT
SS Colt 1911 with a set of lazergrips. What war/wars has Glock been thru? UMMMMMMMMM.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:18:10 PM EDT
WOW can't belive no one said it....

D.) No of the above.. I take door # 4 the HK you know the one that always works..
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:27:45 PM EDT
I would just be glad that I lived in a country that still believed in the freedom to have a handgun and be glad I had it. I would choose a Glock but I do not think the discription of the other handguns was that true. If my GI 1911 was cared for the same way I care for my Glocks it would work fine. I would like more than seven rounds per mag though. However if all I had was my 1911 I think I could tear a bunch of looters up that just stoled their gun and do not even realy know how to use it probably and I would be happy as all get out just to have it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:33:13 PM EDT
glock has been thru alot of fighting, both in the military and law enforcement of other countries. Both have shown that they can stand up to hellish conditions. I would carry the glock because of the weight and I can have it wet longer, it's not water proof and I have a rusted striker from a 21 to prove that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:41:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:41:44 PM EDT
Stainless 1911 work just fine as did Parkerized ones that were used in WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietman, Grenada, Panama, Iraq - Desert Storm, Afganastan and Iraq - freedom. Now why would they not work in a little bit of toxic water?

come back with your glock when it grows up
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:16:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CaptSchofield:
Stainless 1911 work just fine as did Parkerized ones that were used in WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietman, Grenada, Panama, Iraq - Desert Storm, Afganastan and Iraq - freedom. Now why would they not work in a little bit of toxic water?

come back with your glock when it grows up

dont forget: PI, mexico, Somolia, and the US of A

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:01:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dullh:
If YOU were standing waist-deep in toxic water and a band of looters was heading YOUR way, and all you has was a handgun and a few magazines, would you want it be:

1) a $2000+ tricked-out this-will-impress-the-gunshop-commandos 1911 that's now rusted shut?

This social breakdown down south has demonstrated to me that my choice(s) are sound...

dullh
Post Number :: 444

NC, USA

I find it interesting and APPALLING to see such a post! First off, what is happening in Louisiana is beyond awful! Ican not even watch the news without feeling sick inside. I am in the United States Coast Guard and I see my brothers/sisters over there doing their job without question or hesitation carrying out every opperation and every rescue diligently. I also see a lot of civilians doing the right thing and helping their fellow brothers/sisters(Americans). Yes, it is Horrible that there are looters stealing things(Big-screen T.V.'s) and committing far worse crimes not out of necessity or survival and that people must protect themselves with whatever resorces they have. The question is not what handgun (If any), but what can I/We do to help our fellow Americans (Brothers/Sisters). I am stationed in sunny, warm San Diego, Ca. going to the Navys Independent Corpsman School. This school is hard and a little over a year long. I am about halfway through. I have orders to go to Newport, Ri. to a Buoy Tender, should be a pretty nice billet and as it turns out the first time I have ever got what I wanted. On Tues. I am asking the Command at the school I am attending for me to go and to help out my fellow Americans and the school will probably say NO. What I am getting at is, here YOU are attempting to feel all self assured that YOU made the right choice buy purchasing a Glock. It is real good to know that YOU are in NC...or did the flood waters reach that far? So obviously YOU Know because your there??? No, I know you saw people on the news carrying Glocks...Good look'n out. Look, if I was there and had a choice of what handgun to carry it would be whatever I could get my hands on. Have fun with your Glock that is well oilled, clean and high and dry.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:16:36 AM EDT

If all you had to choose from was a rusted shut 1911 that you actually considered to buy for $2000, a Sig that rusted shut yesterday, and a Glock that worked, then yeah you made the right choice.

However, I'd seriously think about your thought process if those were the ones you decided to choose from.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:40:17 AM EDT

How many times can the "Glock VS. The Entire Firearm Industry" be brought up from the pits of Hell?
Using the terrible situation down south to argue about this crap makes me sick.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:42:00 AM EDT
Some folks have serious problems with being on the internet!

The guy poses a simple, 'fun' question and some of you get REALLY SERIOUS on him!

You really don't have a better way to deal with your agression?

JCG4,
I didn't see any smilies so I take it your post is very serious?

Here's the deal young man...

Help is on it's way to the stricken areas.
Some people can go there to lend-a-hand personally.
Others cannot.
Perhaps because they have a family to take care of...perhaps because their job is helping out local folks who have serious needs also (see...people are in serious physical/mental danger all over the U.S.of A. and we can't just leave those people with no one to care for them.).

Some people send money to relief agencies because FEMA and the other relief organizations are telling everyone NOT to go running to the disaster UNLESS you have been 'invited'. So, some people contact the Red Cross, some contact FEMA, some contact organizations like;

Greetings from Middle Tennessee Medical Reserve Corps!

We appreciate your response to help with the Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.
At this time we are activating teams for deployment to the disaster area as well as scheduling volunteers for local relief shelters and the American Red Cross.

Before you can volunteer we need you to visit the MTMRC website at www.mtmrc.org and fill out our application.  To access the application, please click on 'Become a Volunteer' located on the left hand side of the home page.
Once your application has been completed you will be added to our contact list.  We will then be notifying you via email or phone of current volunteer needs and updates on MTMRC activities and opportunities.

I truly appreciate your concern and compassion for the Americans and others suffering from Katrina.
When you get some more life experience, you'll see that even during times of suffering and hardship, people need to have the opportunity to think of other things, laugh, as well as cry, get angry, etc.

You jumped all over dullh for this one post.
I suppose you know this person pretty well?
I suppose you know everything that's going on in his life?
I suppose you know what all he's done or is hoping to do to help his fellow Americans?

If not...then maybe you should ask him.

btw...it seems to me that any of those firearms might be protected by some fancy coating.
So, I think any of them would be good UNLESS they actually were in the shape you mention...then I'd have to wonder what kind of shape the Glock is in if you're other two guns were so badly in need of proper care!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:09:48 AM EDT
I'll take the Glock 19 -- leave the 1911 anchors and the 230gr sinkers at home.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:28:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:20:56 AM EDT

Like I didn't see that coming...talk about being close-minded!

What's it like being clueless?

Careful SGB. WSmac might call you a "young man".
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:36:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:47:29 PM EDT
I'll take my beat to shit, parked 1911.

Because I know it works, and I can hit stuff with it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:13:31 PM EDT

Only an Idiot sticks around to greet High water and Bad guys.

But then you are a Glock Fan
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:25:28 PM EDT
So many people to offend, so little time...

Some of you guys really need to lighten up.

And no, I am NOT making light of the situation in the Gulf Coast region. That sort of thing can manifest itself anywhere, in any form, at any time.

Regardless of which tool you choose, make sure you KNOW you can use it, and use it well.

Some of you guys are awful damn thin-skinned. Of course, when you feel your not making your feelings know the way you want them to be known, you can obviously resort to the tried-and-true left-wing liberal tactic: name calling.

Don't worry, because 1)I've been called worse, to my face and 2)"Typists" on the internet I've never met before don't bother me. I reserve feelings for people I actually know.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:55:36 PM EDT
Good one

BTW, using the aftermath of this disaster as a primer for this type of question is tasteless.

P.S. My mom dosen't like tupperware, she packs a .38 in +p.

Originally Posted By AKsRule:

Only an Idiot sticks around to greet High water and Bad guys.

But then you are a Glock Fan

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:02:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:50:28 PM EDT
Remington 870. As Capstick always said, use enough gun.

Never bring a handgun to a shotgun fight.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:06:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WSmac:
Some folks have serious problems with being on the internet!

The guy poses a simple, 'fun' question and some of you get REALLY SERIOUS on him!

You really don't have a better way to deal with your agression?

JCG4,
I didn't see any smilies so I take it your post is very serious?

Here's the deal young man...

Help is on it's way to the stricken areas.
Some people can go there to lend-a-hand personally.
Others cannot.
Perhaps because they have a family to take care of...perhaps because their job is helping out local folks who have serious needs also (see...people are in serious physical/mental danger all over the U.S.of A. and we can't just leave those people with no one to care for them.).

Some people send money to relief agencies because FEMA and the other relief organizations are telling everyone NOT to go running to the disaster UNLESS you have been 'invited'. So, some people contact the Red Cross, some contact FEMA, some contact organizations like;

Greetings from Middle Tennessee Medical Reserve Corps!

We appreciate your response to help with the Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.
At this time we are activating teams for deployment to the disaster area as well as scheduling volunteers for local relief shelters and the American Red Cross.

Before you can volunteer we need you to visit the MTMRC website at www.mtmrc.org and fill out our application.  To access the application, please click on 'Become a Volunteer' located on the left hand side of the home page.
Once your application has been completed you will be added to our contact list.  We will then be notifying you via email or phone of current volunteer needs and updates on MTMRC activities and opportunities.

I truly appreciate your concern and compassion for the Americans and others suffering from Katrina.
When you get some more life experience, you'll see that even during times of suffering and hardship, people need to have the opportunity to think of other things, laugh, as well as cry, get angry, etc.

You jumped all over dullh for this one post.
I suppose you know this person pretty well?
I suppose you know everything that's going on in his life?
I suppose you know what all he's done or is hoping to do to help his fellow Americans?

If not...then maybe you should ask him.

btw...it seems to me that any of those firearms might be protected by some fancy coating.
So, I think any of them would be good UNLESS they actually were in the shape you mention...then I'd have to wonder what kind of shape the Glock is in if you're other two guns were so badly in need of proper care!

Yes I am a young man. Trying to put some humor into an otherwise shitty situation is all well and good. However, the initial post could have done with more tact. Because it was not I got upset and felt I should voice my opinion. It is not about being thick or thinned skinned, the initail post was not directed at me. I gues it is just me and and a couple of others that feel the post was done without tact or humor. Everybody knows that a Glock is a fine weapon and if people do not there are plenty of topics to reference on this site. I personally do not feel that we need a post that includes a National Disaster, no tact or humor to cover "Why I got a Glock". As far as being aggressive, I do not see where I was? Angry, yes but I don't think I threatened the man with violence. Since I am young I do not know it all or feel that I ever will for that matter. However, to take a page from your book, you have not taken the time to ask me what I have been through in my short span of life-which actually is a lot. In reading your post it appears that you too are attempting to help as well and I appreciate your effort. I am sure you are well aware that the Coast Guard is involved and they accepting other "Coasties" at other units to lend a hand. As for the author of the initial post no I do not know you. If you have or are planning to help in some way good for you. I am not hurt by your words, just angered and frustrated by them. Your post achieves nothing; it is not funny nor does it distract people from the negative things that are/were going on. It does the opposite, instead of laughing the person reading your post is thinking about drawing down on someone. Your post contained no humor. Where is the joke? Or are just taking a long pause before you deliver the punchline for, "Effect"? I do not hate you. I am not going to write Santa and ask that you get coal in your stocking rather than a new Glock. Please, think before you write...

V/R

JCG4
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:42:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Remington 870. As Capstick always said, use enough gun.

Never bring a handgun to a shotgun fight.

And never bring a shotgun to a rifle fight
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:00:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2005 10:05:18 AM EDT by AJohnston]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:18:39 AM EDT
Top Top