Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2004 8:39:46 PM EDT
I received the paper work today (3 days tops). Do I simply fill it in, and send it in? And Viola! I've got a FL CHL in 90 days?

That's what it seems like. There's no written test or course work required? I have a TX CHL so I'm curious. I'm getting it so I can legaly carry in CO, where I spend a lot of time. Between the TX and FL CHL's I should be able to carry just about everywhere I have an interest to.

What counts as the "8 different records of training documentation"?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#1]
In Fl if you are not prior military or law enforcement then yopu must have a basic NRA saftey class, and pass a background check.  And don't forget to pay the $$.
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Does a CHL from a different state count as a "basic NRA safety class"?
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to be able to demonstrate that you have had firearms safety training equivilant to the Florida hunter safety program.

Any training documents you submit must have the date(s) of the instruction and the name(s) and signature(s) of the instructors.

Exceptions include, but are not limited to:
Honarable discharge from .mil
Current FL LEO or some other stuff

It's in there, read your instruction book that came with the app.

You also need: passport pic, fingerprint card completed by a LEO, and the notary statement certified by a notary in your state of residence.

Hope that helps, when in doubt, RTFM.

Last post I read stated a turn around time of 4-5 weeks for qualified applicants
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Does a CHL from a different state count as a "basic NRA safety class"?

Um, NO.  Unless that state required you to complete a comptency class.  I think TX is 10 hours.  That would count.

Basically, you need a paper with the following:

Certified instructor name
date of course
your name
certification that you:
1)point the gun at the bad guy
2)put your finger on the trigger
3)recognize you are legally justified to use deadly force
4)pull the trigger

5)don't shoot anyone on the firing line when you demonstrate proficiency

Link Posted: 8/2/2004 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Roger that.

yes, I need to RTFM.....

Link Posted: 8/2/2004 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#6]

ETA: I'm going for my TX CHL class this Saturday at DFW Guns in Dallas.  But, I didn't request my packet from DPS so I'm just gonna use my FL stuff I got this spring.  I dug out my original Police Academy qualifications, but screw it, you can never have too much firearms training, and I'll be done with it already when I get around to getting the TX paperwork.

But, the FL permit is good in TX so I'm not in a hurry

ETFA: When I got my ND permit, we had to shoot 10 rounds into a cardboard trapezoidal target at 7 yards, with one reload mandatory, so I fire 5 from 1 mag, and reloaded my G23.  That was it!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#7]
check out  www.packing.org it is a pretty good resource.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:02:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I got mine yesterday. It took me 3 months.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:17:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

WAY ahead of you. but thanks anyways.

I think I'm going to apply for the New Hampshire one, costs next to nothing and is easier to get.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Got mine on Thursday, it took 87 days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top