Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 10:14:56 PM EDT
Bent the left corner of the dust cover, and gouged the rear of the left side slide rail, and the hammer....

It wasn't too bad, I can still rack the slide at least.

My only condolence is that I was planning on sending it to the SA custom shop for some work anyway Now they just have more to do
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Bent the left corner of the dust cover, and gouged the rear of the left side slide rail, and the hammer....

It wasn't too bad, I can still rack the slide at least.

My only condolence is that I was planning on sending it to the SA custom shop for some work anyway Now they just have more to do

Dust cover, <gets out his Kimber searching for a "dust cover"> nope I don't see a dust cover.

What is this "dust cover" of which you speak?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Dust cover, <gets out his Kimber searching for a "dust cover"> nope I don't see a dust cover.

+1
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The front of the frame that covers the recoil spring

I always thought it was called a dust cover?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:04:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:19:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Dust cover is what I have always heard it called, too.

no...you all aren't crazy.   I, too....have always refered to that as a "dust cover"
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:17:57 AM EDT
[#6]
yeah, I call it dust cover.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:31:18 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 for dust cover
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#8]
It is a dust cover.

Be well!

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I've never heard of a dust cover on a 1911. Is it the barrel bushing? The recoil spring plug? Or is this one of those new fangled quasi 1911's that has the fat barrel that doesn't need a barrel bushing and a full length recoil spring guide?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Shouldn't it really be called a spring cover? It covers the spring, not the dust.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#11]
How many times did the thing bounce? You must have had it stripped apart to dent the "dust cover". I have no idea who made that up, it is not called that in any true technical drawings or plans. But it works better then "forward frame sticky outy thingy"
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How many times did the thing bounce? You must have had it stripped apart to dent the "dust cover". I have no idea who made that up, it is not called that in any true technical drawings or plans. But it works better then "forward frame sticky outy thingy"

Only bounced once, about a 4' drop onto concrete.

It was taken apart at the time.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
+1 for dust cover

+2

dust cover it is

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only bounced once, about a 4' drop onto concrete.

It was taken apart at the time.

I still can't believe the metal bent from only a 4' drop. Better not drop this one from an airplane
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Steel or aluminum dust cover?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:49:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I Have come close to doing that several times, usually after shooting multiple guns and trying to clean several at once. I finally put down some 1/4 thick natural rubber mats [I get em free at work, electric grounding mats that are not good any longer] saved my sanity at least. Concrete sucks to drop anything onto.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Shouldn't it really be called a spring cover? It covers the spring, not the dust.

actualy it keeps the dust from getting out, thats its lube!
but yes it IS called a dust cover.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#18]
deleted!  It's called the frame....

Dust cover!  Your all a bunch of safe deleted...........  How about some lemon pledge?

Joe

lets keep it civil, thankyou
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
deleted SOLDIERS It's calledpart of the frame....

Dust cover! CORRECT! Your all a bunch of safe deleted...........  How about some lemon pledge?
You sound like the guys who still called it a GUN even after Basic Training

Joe

BB
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
It is a dust cover.

Be well!

[email protected]

I call mine shirley....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#22]
+1 on the dust cover.

The mfr's call that portion of the frame the "dust cover" as well.  It's part of the frame but the description fits an area of the frame.  Just like when you refer to the mag well......Technically it's part of the frame but it lets you know where.....

Sorry to hear your frame got tweaked, Sigurd
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The Dust cover is the forward portion of the frame.

And it's called that in JMBs drawings as well, so if anyone wants to bitch,
bitch to the man that made it.  Every manufacturer I know calls
it that as well.  

So, it appears that one uneducated name caller has some 'pologizin' to do,
not that I expect to hear it.

Sorry to hear about your bent DUST COVER, I'm sure that won't be a big
deal for SA to fix while they have it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1 for dust cover

+2

dust cover it is

+3

BAER 1911 MONOLITH

Patent No. US 6,345,463

Baer Custom's MONOLITH is a real monument in steel. It's one bad boy that's as tough and rugged as it looks. The MONOLITH's steel frame has an extra long dust-cover (the only 1911 in the business) that matches the length of the slide. That gives the five-inch slide and the frame a blocky, one-piece appearance...really an awesome look. It also gives the MONOLITH some extra heft on the front end which helps reduce muzzle flip. If you compete in USPSA Limited Class or in Centerfire Bullseye matches, you know the kind of edge that can give you. We guarantee 3" groups at 50 yards. Features include:

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
deleted!  It's called the frame....

Dust cover!  Your all a bunch of safe deleted...........  How about some lemon pledge?

Joe

lets keep it civil, thankyou

Doh!  How does that dust cover CROW taste?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
And it's called that in JMBs drawings as well, so if anyone wants to bitch,
bitch to the man that made it.  Every manufacturer I know calls
it that as well.  

WTF do THEY know about it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top