Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2016 11:28:19 PM EDT
And it is sweet!  I got a Bond Arms Century 2000 Defender in .45 Colt/.410.  Only fired .410 so far and it is mean.  Before anyone feels the need to talk about better firearms for self-defense, I am fully aware of this and I agree.  I normally carry one of my Colt 1911s for that purpose.  This gun was bought for snake repellant when out camping or fishing.  Used to load my LCR with shotshells and keep my LCP in my pocket.  My plan now will be 1911 on my hip and .410 in my pocket or I might pick up one of their driving holsters.  I will also tell you this thing is just plain cool.  It's REALLY solid too.  Recoil isn't bad.  The trigger will take some getting used to as it is back and down.  I only tried the PDX and federal # 6 shot so far.  I think I need something smaller though for snakes to get more pellets on target.  With the PDX it does seem like it could perform in a BUG role.  It would be next to useless at distance but seems nasty up close.   Anyway, just excited and thought I would share.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Nifty little gun.  I'd buy one if the price was right.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:36:34 AM EDT
[#2]
What you see as "mean" is really abysmal performance.

I had a .410 Derringer one time. It literally would not perforate a tin can at contact distance. Just showered me with ricocheting pellets.

Load it with .45 Colt silver tips and never look back.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:46:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Fantastic little bastards. Occasionally they can be found used on GB for a steal.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:53:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
"And it is sweet!  I got a Bond Arms Century 2000 Defender in .45 Colt/.410.  Only fired .410 so far and it is mean."  

It looks like a 3" barrel. I bought one last year that was the only one that I could find in either the Rio Grande Valley or San Antonio. I bought it for rattle snakes, but I couldn't hit a '59 Buick with that barrel. I called Bond to ask for advice, and they offered to sell me a 4.25" barrel for half price. Problem solved. I have shot cactus tunas that are smaller than a rattle snake's head with it. I thankfully haven't encountered a rattler since I started carrying it in my jeans side pocket, but it is just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:07:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What you see as "mean" is really abysmal performance.

I had a .410 Derringer one time. It literally would not perforate a tin can at contact distance. Just showered me with ricocheting pellets.

Load it with .45 Colt silver tips and never look back.
View Quote

I carry either a Government or Commander 1911 for SD.  The derringer was bought for snakes.  It might could be a BUG at handshake distance with the right load.  However, that's not the real reason I bought it.  I wanted something for snakes that was more effective at a slightly longer range than shot shells through my LCR that would be easier for me to carry along with my 1911.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:09:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"And it is sweet!  I got a Bond Arms Century 2000 Defender in .45 Colt/.410.  Only fired .410 so far and it is mean."  

It looks like a 3" barrel. I bought one last year that was the only one that I could find in either the Rio Grande Valley or San Antonio. I bought it for rattle snakes, but I couldn't hit a '59 Buick with that barrel. I called Bond to ask for advice, and they offered to sell me a 4.25" barrel for half price. Problem solved. I have shot cactus tunas that are smaller than a rattle snake's head with it. I thankfully haven't encountered a rattler since I started carrying it in my jeans side pocket, but it is just a matter of time.
View Quote

It's a 3.5" barrel.  I wasn't impressed with 2 1/2" # 6 shot from 8 feet away.  Only a couple of pellets hit where I wanted them to.  I am going to try some different loads and maybe a couple of 3" shells as well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:12:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nifty little gun.  I'd buy one if the price was right.
View Quote

They aren't cheap.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts a couple generations.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:04:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Try the Federal 410 Handgun #4 if you can find it. The Federal Handgun 000 performs well out of my Judge also.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:10:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye out next time I'm at Academy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:03:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I had one for a while to "back up"  to my commander. and something that'd disappear when wearing business dress.but more and more I found myself in the city than I cared for and sold it to pick up a model 36 S&W..great little gun and serves it's purpose well..built like a tiny tank..
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:07:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's a 3.5" barrel.  I wasn't impressed with 2 1/2" # 6 shot from 8 feet away.  Only a couple of pellets hit where I wanted them to.  I am going to try some different loads and maybe a couple of 3" shells as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that gun is designed for under 4' in my opinion AKA bad breath distances..I would NOT trust it for "snake shots' as often pictured in one of there ads..small barrel, close range, bird shot, ,my foot and leg, questionable spread etc....but,,thats just me
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I appreciate the input.  It's a neat little gun.  As much as I like it I can't believe that some people use one as a primary.  I am going to try some different shells in 2 1/2 and 3" and use the one that patterns best.  I don't really see myself shooting at anything beyond 10' with it. At least not with .410 shells.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Id only load it with 45 LC if for SD
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:45:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I would try some 45LC shot shells in it just to see how they compared to the .410 at snake shooting distance.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would try some 45LC shot shells in it just to see how they compared to the .410 at snake shooting distance.
View Quote

I probably will at some point to check it out.  Right now I am having fun trying different rounds in it.  Lol it is loud and fun to shoot in low light.  I have yet to try any .45 rounds in it at this point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top