Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 12:56:24 AM EDT
I decided that I just can't make the Ultra Carry work for summertime CC. I purchased a Kahr MK9, which is considerably smaller, and lighter. It's a two tone model, and I got it for $399.99 + $40 shipping. I think I did pretty good as most places list this gun for $500+. I should have it in about a week.

My question is, what do you think the best IWB holster would be for this little pistol? I have a versa max II for my ultra carry, but I think that style of holster may be a bit large for the gun. What do you suggest?

Also what round would you carry in this gun?

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:32:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice price.

I have the PM9 and use the Mitch Rosen Clipper IWB that Kahr sells on its website.   It's a nice holster and I like the clip on it since it won't come off your belt.  Fitted precisely where the gun clicks into place in the holster and has a steel band to hold it open making reholstering very easy.
Loaded with 115 gr. winchester white box JHP.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:39:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm thinking about getting one for the Mrs. Awesome price!

I'd use Gold Dots in it if I were you.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:44:44 AM EDT
[#3]
If you use 124 gr. Gold Dots you definitely want to get some range time with it.  The micro Kahrs can be finicky with Gold Dots and nose dive on the feed ramp.  

Also, they tend not to like to be sling shot slide released.  So when chambering the first round, lock the slide back, insert the magazine, and then use the slide RELEASE lever to release the slide.  Sling shotting it will sometimes cause the bullet to nose dive on the feed ramp if you don't let it go just at the split second it's fully rearward.  Therefore, to be reliable, you'll always want to carry with a round already in the chamber.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:02:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you use 124 gr. Gold Dots you definitely want to get some range time with it.  The micro Kahrs can be finicky with Gold Dots and nose dive on the feed ramp.  

Also, they tend not to like to be sling shot slide released.  So when chambering the first round, lock the slide back, insert the magazine, and then use the slide RELEASE lever to release the slide.  Sling shotting it will sometimes cause the bullet to nose dive on the feed ramp if you don't let it go just at the split second it's fully rearward.  Therefore, to be reliable, you'll always want to carry with a round already in the chamber.

Good to know. I only suggested gold dots due to their terminal performance rather than reliability in the specific weapon. Thanks.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:15:06 AM EDT
[#5]
That little knowledge can make your first range trip with your Kahr a nightmare or dream come true.   Some of them feed anything and a few of them won't feed a thing and need to be sent in for servicing and a lot of them between the two that just need a few hundred rounds to loosen up.   All the new ones come with polished feed ramps now to lessen problems.  It's just because the pistol is so small resulting in the feed ramp being extremely steep, almost vertical to fit it in there, so there is not much room for error and bullet size and shape differences.

But as far as carryability in 9mm, it's got everything beat by a long margin, except for possibly the Rohrbaugh.  But costs half as much, is readily available and has better sights and a little more heft so it doesn't beat your hand into hamburger at the range.  It's also a good shooter up to 25 yards.

Mine hasn't missed a beat since it was new.  Although, I've only tried WWB ammo in it so far, so that's what I carry in it.  I will be experimenting with different loadings, because I do prefer 124 gr. 9mm.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That little knowledge can make your first range trip with your Kahr a nightmare or dream come true.   Some of them feed anything and a few of them won't feed a thing and need to be sent in for servicing and a lot of them between the two that just need a few hundred rounds to loosen up.   All the new ones come with polished feed ramps now to lessen problems.  It's just because the pistol is so small resulting in the feed ramp being extremely steep, almost vertical to fit it in there, so there is not much room for error and bullet size and shape differences.

The only one of these I have ever seen, (6-8 months ago at the local gun range) made 5 trips back to the factory, according to it's owner, before it would run through a whole magazine without jamming......, I was not that impressed with a pistol requiring that many "trips" inorder to function properly.

Hope your's functions better than it.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:13:08 AM EDT
[#7]
First time to the range I didn't pre-clean it and at about 150 rounds of straight firing she was a hot potato and grimy and the trigger wouldn't reset occassionally on the long magazine.  Loosening my hand moved the magazine a little and it would reset.   It also didn't like to be sling shot slide released, although a little push on the slide would chamber the round if it got stuck on the ramp.   But using the slide release lever it chambers the first round forcefully every time.  

After a good cleaning I fired 300 more rounds through it and it has performed flawlessly.   Glock Talk's Kahr forum has all the information you'd ever want about the Kahr's and then some.  There are a few horror stories, but a lot of very happy customers too.   If you do happen to be unlucky and get a lemon, Kahr will stand by their product and make sure you have a fully functioning gun you are happy with.

The machining and craftsmanship on them is top notch.  Their machine shop also makes surgical grade medical tools so they have a knack for preciseness.    Since they are sort of new on the block, they're going to be met with suspicion and criticism by much of the gun community.  But I will attest, if you like the way the Kahr feels, then you won't be making a bad choice buying one.  The biggest advantage is that it's so convenient you'll love carrying it and it will open up clothing and activities options to you that were previously unattainable with a bigger gun.  

Ok, I'm done being their salesperson.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#8]
+ 1 on what VBC said.

I bought a PM9 and then saw the recall notice on the barrel.  Although I never had a problem with it, I sent the barrel back for polishing just to be on the safe side.  They polished it and sent it back within a week.  I also called the number on the recall notice and ended up talking to one of the VPs.  Their customer service is top notch.  I have about 500 rounds through it and I have yet to have a problem with it.

Everyone is right about sling shooting the slide.  After about 200 rounds mine was broken in and that is no longer an issue.

As for a holster... I use a FIST # 1 clip on IWB.  Not too pricey and it holds in place just fine.    
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a MK9 for the same price about 6 months ago at a local shop and its been a nightmare.  I haven't been able to get through a full magazine yet without a failure to feed.  I contacted Kahr's service department and without even looking at it I was told I had a bent slide release spring.  I received a new spring about two weeks later and installed it but haven't been able to get to the range to give it a try.  I don't want to scare you off but I bought this gun for CCW and I don't carry it becuase I can't count on it.  On the upside it is very accurate and has a nice feel.  I'm still trying to decide if I should hang on to it, sell it or trade it.

B
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:08:18 AM EDT
[#10]
For holsters, look at Threat Solutions UCR.  I know they make them for Kahrs now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#11]
nice piece.
use gold dots.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like you have the MK9 "economy" version. The stainless version MSRP is $719, the matte black slide version has an MSRP of $475. Still looks like you got a good deal. I like the blade-tech ultimate concealment holster for my PM9.YMMV As far as ammo goes, I would definitely suggest getting a newer design of bullet specifically made for short barreled guns. Gold Dot makes an SB version of their bullet and I have read good things about the performance of the Magtech First Defense and Corbon DPX which load an all-copper bullet design. Supposedly the copper bullets still expand and penetrate at the lower velocities of the short barreled guns.
As for some of the horror stories with the Kahr pistols, it is highly variable. Mine was a mixed result. Out of the box the gun jammed on the first shot and never cycled again. Sent it back and they determined the slide was out of spec. When it returned, they had polished the feed ramp and replaced the slide. I had a few malfunctions in the first 200 rounds(the recommended break in period) and I have had none since. Over 1000 rounds through my PM9 now and functions flawlessly. That said, I don't let it get as dirty as my glocks because of the offset feed ramp. I have had the same problem where the bullet will get caught on the feedramp if I return the slide manually rather than just releasing the slide stop. Have fun with the new pistol. They conceal easily in a small Eagle fanny pack as well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:50:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the advice so far. What do you guys think of the Milt Sparks Summer Special II holster?

Also where can I find this short barrel load? Neither Sportsmans Guide or Ammoman list it.

I can't believe a six round spare mag for this thing is $38 bucks!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top