Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 8:01:51 AM EDT
OK, don't flame me for letting the voices in my head talk out loud.

I'm thinking a smooth bore barrel for one of my glocks would be slick for shooting snakes off my mower with shot shells.  Yes, my rifled barrel works, but...  well...  I want to do it better/farther etc.

Not knowing how or at what point in the manufacturing process custom barrels are rifled, I wonder if this is possible.  Are the barrels one big tube that is cut to length then rifled or is it a big rifled tube that is cut to length etc?  Maybe this would be no big deal to order...

Thanks in advance for entertaining my crazy notions.   dg.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Are the barrels one big tube that is cut to length then rifled or is it a big rifled tube that is cut to length etc?  

Yeah!  They just cut a length, rifle it, and crazy glue a chamber with lug on the end!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Exactly how I pictured it.

Bet they use epoxy though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:17:49 AM EDT
[#3]
And just for clarification, when I say that I use this weapon to shoot snakes off my mower, I mean that the snakes are usually on the ground.  I'm the one on the mower.

In addition, I have no neighbors, but the UPS man is somewhat apprehensive of the mad man on the John Deere with bib overalls  with the Austrian hardware in a shoulder rig.   dg.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#4]
you're probably not gonna find a smooth bore pistol barrel. using one would turn your G22 into a C3 weapon known as an AOW (any other weapon) which requires a tax stamp like MG's but it is only $5 instead of $200.

HTH,
LM
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Luvman-

Never even considered that there may be laws regarding that.  I suppose somewhere the definition of a pistol includes that it has rifled barrel.   ?

If that is the case it isn't worth fooling around with.

Thanks, appreciate it.   dg.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:14:11 AM EDT
[#6]
This got brought up at some point in another ammo forum, and i think the verdict was that soft lead shot, wrapped in soft plastic, will DEFINITELY not harm a steel bore, or the rifling therein. especially so hardy a bore as that which resides in a block.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
you're probably not gonna find a smooth bore pistol barrel. using one would turn your G22 into a C3 weapon known as an AOW (any other weapon) which requires a tax stamp like MG's but it is only $5 instead of $200.

HTH,
LM

the transfer is only 5$ but I beileve its still a 200 tax to manufacture it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are the barrels one big tube that is cut to length then rifled or is it a big rifled tube that is cut to length etc?  

Yeah!  They just cut a length, rifle it, and crazy glue a chamber with lug on the end!

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Exactly how I pictured it.

Bet they use epoxy though.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top