Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2003 11:10:59 AM EDT
I am looking for information(books - articles - magazines), about the Smith& Wesson 25-2 .45ACP, 4" barrel. I have seen plenty of "Rare" 6 1/2" and 6" barreled revolvers on GunsAmerica and Gunbroker., but no 4". Anyone with an idea on numbers produced or the possible availability? I am not currently interested in a 25-2 in .45 Long Colt, I have seen plenty of those also. I want a revolver stablemate for my Officer's and Kimber. I'm not interested in a new 625 either.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The 25-5 is the .45 Colt version.  All 25-2's are .45ACP.  The 25-2 originally started life as the 5 1/2" M1917.  The M1917 turned into the Model 1950 target (which had a tapered 6" bbl and adj sights), and that turned into the Model 1955 (which was the same as a Model 1950 except it had a heavy barrel).  The M25-2 is the Model 1955 under the newer model number scheme S&W went to.  Because of this, most M25-2's are 6 inch barrel guns.  

Towards the mid 80's they wound down production of the M25-2, though I think they listed it available for 4" and 8 3/8" as well, but I may be wrong.  Seems at the time they didn't sell well at all.  The M25-5 continued production after they dropped the M25-2.

Since then they've come out with the various newer 25's in both .45 calibers.  

I can't help you with production numbers.  The 4" N-frame never proved a big seller.  It did OK in .357, and decent in .41 mag for service use, but most demand at the time was for a longer barrel. Since the gun was already a big one and was mostly used for target work, rather than service carry, most people wanted a 6".  There were some snub-nosed variants for Lew Horton, etc.

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top