Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2015 6:48:13 PM EDT
I never paid much attention to these until I played with one at a gunshow today.  Normally I wouldn't give
a second thought to a S&W auto, but the damn thing fit my hand like a glove. Are they gtg?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the best, if not the best mini 9mm's on the market. Probably the least recoil of the current offerings.

It's nothing at all like the hideous PF9 if that's what you're worried about. It shoots almost just like a full size or compact gun, except of course for the thin grip.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I love mine.  Reliable and the trigger is great too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you get one with or without safety?  They are good to go.  Replace the sights.  Only issue was when the white dots shot clear.  They didn't properly degrease it.  Happened second time with replacement sight they sent me.  I removed the rear so it's black like the 10-8 version and replaced the front with tritium one.  No problems with 9mm.  .40 had issue with msg release.  I think they have since fixed the issue.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I have on in 40. Its gtg.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I want one...thanks for the replies
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I love mine and have it on me every day. I have never had a gun that carried so well. Shoots good too.
It replaced the PF9 that I used for some years. The Keltec was reliable and shot well, but nowhere near
the Smith.
Also sold a G21 and bought an M&P 45c. And I have toyed with the idea of selling one of my Glocks to
fund a FS9, but I cant decide to let go the 19 or the 17RTF.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#9]
It's damn near replaced my G23 as a daily carry gun. I've been carrying the G23or G27 daily for almost 6 years. Shield conceals so much easier, and shoots very well. Once I get some night sights installed, it will be my go to carry gun. Until then, gotta keep going with my Glocks, since I walk to work, and it's usually low light when I'm going home.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I am trying to decide between a Shield and a Ruger LC9s.  Really torn.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:40:31 PM EDT
[#12]
It caused me to purchase a M&P 45 , 40 and ,40c
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think I want one...thanks for the replies
View Quote

Shoot one if you can.  It's my summer carry but it's always summer in South Florida (permanent shorts and light shirts).
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:43:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sold my LC9 to get the shield

Hated the rugers trigger pull
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:25:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Should be Shield or XDS in 9mm.  LC9 has a long pull.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:43:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Picked one up awhile back after looking into a # of other options

after everything I read, every one I fired, everyone I handled

the shield came out on top

I could not be happier with it.

Its incredibly comfortable on the hand and on the hip

Zero malfunctions so far with nearly 700 rds of various types of ammo

and the price is right

Get one, you wont be disappoint
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#18]
You should pay attention to the one semi auto pistol S&W sells that has useful features not found done better in another brand they copied.

Shield 9mm first choice over Ruger LC9s, the striker Ruger.

Shield has safety, but I never put it on, so it doesn't ever need off'ed.

7 and 8 round mags make Shield into two guns.  Slightly too big pocket gun or belt holster gem.

Ruger grip too short for recoil, but is slightly better pocket size.  Longer Ruger grip a joke.

Shield trigger like a really good Glock, smoother but slightly heavier.  Shield trigger way better than full size M&P line triggers.

Ruger trigger better but I kept pulling it through.  It just starts and goes.  The Ruger trigger is shorter and lighter in pull than the Shield which might seem good, but if I switch back and forth between several guns, the Ruger trigger just pulls all the way through if started to the rear.  It is maybe too short and too light??

Shield works.  Hornady Critical Defense 115 perfect.  Would not feed 135 Critical Duty ammo.

A single failure to eject in the first 200 rounds of break in ammo with Shield , but last 800 since then perfect.

(I see the other thread about Mom and the daughters being unable to make a Shield run. but Daddy shoots it perfectly.  No clue what that is about.  My Shield has been shot by several normal size/strength people including women and it works perfectly.)
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Gtg!
Every day front pocket.
Put in an Apex trigger, and it's the goodest to go that there is.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:53:37 AM EDT
[#20]
They are quality pistols of great reliability for the money.  I would prefer an extended 1911 style safety to the small one they have.  Still nothing on the market  available to rectify that.  Definitely see why people like the no safety model.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:03:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought mine, and four buddies liked it so much they bought one too.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Can't say enough good things about my 9mm Shield. It's my new favorite carry gun. It's been 100% reliable, shoots real nice and is VERY comfortable to carry.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, mine's been flawless, but I don't find it to be much easier to conceal than either my Glock 26 or my M&P Compact. The Shield is taller than the G26 and is about the same height as the M&P Compact. Yes, they are both thicker than the Shield, but I find a pistol's height to be more limiting for concealability than its thickness.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Great gun. Glad the price came down since it first came out.  It is the plastic version of the 3913, the best IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yeah, mine's been flawless, but I don't find it to be much easier to conceal than either my Glock 26 or my M&P Compact. The Shield is taller than the G26 and is about the same height as the M&P Compact. Yes, they are both thicker than the Shield, but I find a pistol's height to be more limiting for concealability than its thickness.
View Quote

Yep. I sold my Shield to go with the compact because I noticed no difference in conceal-ability.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:34:54 PM EDT
[#26]
My Shield works when my M&P 9c can't.  That's only when I need to wear a suit.

Glad I have a 9mm during those times than a mouse gun.

Anyone who does what it takes to carry 24 / 7 will have at least two different carry guns and more than one carry method.

If they do not have more than one carry gun, then they are willing to either go unarmed or refuse to go places where they can't carry a duty caliber double stack ( or 1911 ) on the waist.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:24:50 AM EDT
[#27]
So far I am really liking mine.  Ive shot 2 or 3 Full size MP pistols and I was never really impressed by them.  To me (YMMV) their triggers had a lot of take up and were mushy feeling.  I always preferred the Glock factory trigger.

While it is heavy I quite like the Shield trigger.  I want to try the Apex trigger but for now it isn't broke and I like it so Ill run this one for a while.  Id rather upgrade my sights than the trigger at this point,
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Are you guys talking about the 9mm or.40?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I love my 40.

Tom
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I carry mine almost daily. GTG.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:55:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I love my Sheild, it's what the G42 should have been... It literally shoots like a full size auto, very accurate.

I carry one on my ankle on duty, and IWB in a Alien Gear 2.0 off duty

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 3:02:52 AM EDT
[#32]
I pocket carry a shield 9 daily.  Lightweight, low recoil, great trigger (esp. with an Apex sear), and dead nuts accurate.

I sold my G19 since I stopped carrying it in favor of the Shield.  IMO the Shield does everything better except for hold more rounds.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 3:10:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's what the G42 should have been
View Quote

No joke, harder hitting round, costs less, nicer trigger.  The G42 is about 6oz lighter but of course is .380 (more expensive and less effective ammo) and carries 2 less rounds; I cannot speak to the accuracy or shootability of it either.

For me at least, the Shield feels extremely natural and forgiving when shooting, dead simple to score hits on target.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top