Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 1:15:15 PM EDT
Whenever I frequent gun forums like this one, I always hear people carry their handgun in either a "IWB" or a "OWB" holster.

I've never ever hearrd of people carrying their handguns in a Smartcarry holster. Are people afraid they'll shoot themselves?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Theres a few here
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I use it for social situations that demand a certain attire which a belt holster cannot handle.  A tuxedo for example.  Or some of my sluttier outfits which involve tight shirts with no room to hide a pistol.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't like my pistol up front.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a Smartcarry holster user.  I've used it to tote several different kinds of handguns perfectly concealed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:24:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I Smart Carry a full sized 1911. I like them. Take a little getting used too though. Good product...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:12:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Are people afraid they'll shoot themselves?

I think the primary focus should be WHERE a person might potentially shoot themselves........

NDs are a possibility of life for anyone carrying a firearm for substantial lengths of time (decades or more), the question I ask myself is where is the SAFEST place to have the firearm pointed.

As an NRA Instructor and former CHL Instructor I have carried in many holsters and manners over the years and finally arrived at cross-draw IWB. I use a $7 Uncle Mikes nylon, (they normally last about 4-5 years and are then replaced, they are very comfy and most days I rarely even notice it's there) as I set alot at work and on my scoot and I am a firm believer that the "printing" issue brought on by concealed carry is best dealt with up front where one has "eyes" and not behind or strong side where most of us cannot see.

There is also the added benefit of the fact that no matter whether seated or standing the pistol is pointing in about the safest direction one can choose, in that the muzzle generally resides at the outside edge of my jeans. God-forbid should a ND occur I'd be dealing with "powder-burns" (no reference intended to the book w/ the same name) instead of blowing my dick or family jewels off, which the little woman wouldn't like in the least little bit, not to mention myself.

YMMV, but unlike Sly in Cobra, I prefer not to point my 45 at my private parts, as unlike Hollywood my pistol is loaded with "REAL" bullets.

Mike

E.T.A. - and yes I'm aware he was toting a 9mm.......
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:14:02 AM EDT
[#7]
My take on the Smart Carry holster is that they are not worth the bother.  If you need deep concealment you sacrifice your ability to access your piece quickly should the need arise (no pun intended).  I also take exception (as have others) to where the muzzle is directed.   I prefer a pocket holster when attire dictates that a belt holster cannot be worn.  YMMV
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:34:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I sometimes carry a mini-revolver in my Thunderwear holster.  If carrying a semi-auto, I'd probably carry it chamber empty.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's something funny...

Smartcarry Holster - Anybody Use It?

A guy with a name just like yours asked the same question in December and received 6 replies!

I found it using the 'SEARCH' function.

And...

one month later, I STILL use mine.  I draw mine from the smartcarry with the same grip I use to draw from a belt holster.

I've never been worried about the gun going off any easier than from any other holster.

ETA

As far as the comments about WHERE the gun is pointed...

Even in the smartcarry, the muzzled of my firearm IS NOT pointed at my penis or scrotum (to be specific)
The muzzle actually sits between my thighs.
Just as some folks think all they might get from a side-carried firearm is a powder-burn, that might be all I get.

I'm really not sure on the comments about 'shooting the family jewels off' and why anyone thinks this will happen when wearing a smartcarry.
I suppose it comes from two things...
1) They have never worn a smartcarry or thunderwear before and base their opinions on conjecture.
or
2) They have worn a smartcarry or thunderwear but had it WAY UP around their waist and not down on their hips.  In this case, I might believe a guy could injure his genitalia if he had them sticking out under the muzzle.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:37:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Here's something funny...

Smartcarry Holster - Anybody Use It?

A guy with a name just like yours asked the same question in December and received 6 replies!

I found it using the 'SEARCH' function.

And...

one month later, I STILL use mine.  I draw mine from the smartcarry with the same grip I use to draw from a belt holster.

I've never been worried about the gun going off any easier than from any other holster.

ETA

As far as the comments about WHERE the gun is pointed...

Even in the smartcarry, the muzzled of my firearm IS NOT pointed at my penis or scrotum (to be specific)
The muzzle actually sits between my thighs.
Just as some folks think all they might get from a side-carried firearm is a powder-burn, that might be all I get.

I'm really not sure on the comments about 'shooting the family jewels off' and why anyone thinks this will happen when wearing a smartcarry.
I suppose it comes from two things...
1) They have never worn a smartcarry or thunderwear before and base their opinions on conjecture.
or
2) They have worn a smartcarry or thunderwear but had it WAY UP around their waist and not down on their hips.  In this case, I might believe a guy could injure his genitalia if he had them sticking out under the muzzle.

Sorry, but guess some of us are just longer than others.

Mike

ps - just have one other comment in regard to your promoting of this type of carry and it has to with the location of one's FEMORAL artery.

ever hear of 'em?

know where their located?

know how quickly a person gets "dead" when one is severed?

Just some food for thought......... and IMO and experience, (seen a guy once who had a ND that went down the "outside" of his leg, luckily) don't want to end up like him, as dealing with a damaged wheel ain't something I'd take litely. Hopefully it will never happen, but the way I look at; why even take the chance when it's easily and comfortably avoided all together.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#11]
All this talk about shooting your nuts/dick off is just plain ignorant.

I've been using a smart carry for the last year.  I have had no problems with it as far as comfort and weapon concealability.  I highly recommend it.  It is perfect in the summer for T shirt and shorts weather and great with sweats or jogging pants!  Like any holster, practice drawing and you'll be fine with it.  

Edit:  Want to add that smart carry's customer service is outstanding!

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Regardless of the facts of the matter, I think that on some deep level most of us are rather uneasy with the thought of carrying a firearm near our junk.

I've used belly bands in this way in years past and never had a problem, but today I either carry my big guns in an IWB or a J-frame in a trouser pocket.  The biggest reason for ITC (Inside The Crotch) carry is for deeeeep concealment.  Most people tend to stay away from your Package when patting you down for weapons -- at least,  in my experience.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
ITC  

There it is!

I forget the guy's name in Florida that sold me mine - but he was very cool to speak with.  He told me, the only place you can't go with his holster is through a metal detector.

Two things I'm not going to be doing are:  drawing fast (thanks to Mr. Gut), and carrying one in the chamber unless the gun is DA/SA and sports an external thumb safety.  

These things aren't the end all/be all - or even what I'd consider comfortable - but they're very good at what they do.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had one over a year and have carried a Sig 232 and Kahr PM9 in it.  

IF you don't like the traditional way of carrying it, I find it works extremely well as a tuckable holster if you shift it to the backside of your hip.

In the front is probably the BEST concealment you'll ever get for a handgun and magazine.  It's not the most comfortable rig to wear if you do a lot of sitting/driving/bending and gets hot in the summer (re: hot/sweaty nutsack).  

It's also not the easiest holster to draw from.   If you're sitting in a car, with seatbelt on, you might as well forget about it.

BUT the concealment, the concealment.  It definitely serves a purpose when you can't lug your .50 cal Desert Eagle in your pancake holster without it showing.

It's also great for gun retention.  Almost impossible for somebody to get your gun if you get into a hand to hand scuffle.  Or even think to look for a gun there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top