Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/29/2005 8:39:46 AM EDT
I'm curious what the genereal consesus is on the best method for releasing the slide on a fresh mag, using the slide release or do you just pull the slide back and release? Which method is taught when you take tactical courses at blackwater ect. ?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:41:48 AM EDT
If you still have both hands "sling shot" that puppy back into battery as it has more force then being let go from the release.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:29:16 AM EDT
slingshot is the way to go. If i only have one hand i slingshot it anyway by hooking the rear sight on my belt or pants (still very quick). Works on any pistol and is a gross motor skill.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:37:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By clubsoda22:
slingshot is the way to go. If i only have one hand i slingshot it anyway by hooking the rear sight on my belt or pants (still very quick). Works on any pistol and is a gross motor skill.

You have a point but when I use that method I usually take out a chunk of meat when doing it fast, that being said I have yet to have a Glock not go into battery from the slide release.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:41:04 AM EDT
I've never heard of any school that teaches the use of the slide stop to release the slide.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:07:22 AM EDT
Insights school in Seattle teaches ... just pull the slide back with hand on top of the slide.

I didn't always do that before the class but I agree now. Saves wear on the slide stop, and is the same motion/action used for clearance drills.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:41:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By m-dc:

Originally Posted By clubsoda22:

You have a point but when I use that method I usually take out a chunk of meat when doing it fast, that being said I have yet to have a Glock not go into battery from the slide release.

Of course not, you'd be hard pressed to have such a problem with the glock. Practice, practice, practice. it's not training unless you bleed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:29:36 PM EDT
I was taught to slingshot the slide when I went to TDI here in Ohio as that method will always work on any pistol. The slide lock might not be in the same place, as your gun, on a gun you pick up in an emergency situation and you may not have the time, or even just the light to figure it out.
Top Top