Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/21/2005 1:52:47 PM EDT
I've been looking at 3" Kimbers at the local GS, and I noticed that the one steel frame version has almost no detectible play between the slide and the frame. All the aluminum frame models have very distinct play. When I've handled really good quality 1911's, there is, of course, no play.

I assume the sloppy fit affects accuracy but also allows for more tolerance of dirt, pocket lint, etc. Is there some kind of rule of thumb for acceptable play? WHat are your standards? Should I be concerned about the play when I make this purchase decision?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:55:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TimMK:
I've been looking at 3" Kimbers at the local GS, and I noticed that the one steel frame version has almost no detectible play between the slide and the frame. All the aluminum frame models have very distinct play. When I've handled really good quality 1911's, there is, of course, no play.

I assume the sloppy fit affects accuracy but also allows for more tolerance of dirt, pocket lint, etc. Is there some kind of rule of thumb for acceptable play? WHat are your standards? Should I be concerned about the play when I make this purchase decision?

No.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:21:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:40:20 PM EDT
Yet another +1. It means next to nothing for accuracy. Barrel bushing fit is much more important.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:44:13 PM EDT
Like the other guys said, slide fit isnt very important to accuracy. I note though that a tightly fitted gun feels smoother under recoil and is just...cooler. Aluminum framed guns cannot be fitted as tightly, BTW.
Top Top