Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 11:08:54 AM EST
I've had a recent problem with my 92FS. Several times while putting rounds downrange, the slide fails to lock to the rear after discharging the last round in a magazine. If I manually pull the slide back it locks fine. The only other failure I've ever had was a single stovepipe about 1,500 rounds ago. This problem occurs with multiple factory and after-market magazines so I'm thinking it's not a mag issue.

My current thought is that the reloads I am using for practice are under-powered and are not causing the slide to move all the way to the rear of the lower receiver. Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so, what was your cause determination and solution?

E-95
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:15:44 AM EST
I have the same problem. I'm shooting those "ASIAN CONTRACT" mags. They feed great but don't lock the slide back about 10-15% of the time. I don't load em hot, so I'm in the same boat as you!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:41:45 PM EST
Before you buy anything, check to see how you are gripping the weapon. I had the problem for a while that my thumb was resting on the slide release and keeping it down when the last round was fired. I think this is a hold over problem from shooting 1911's. Training issue. I've since corrected it.

If that isn't the case, try disassembling the magazine and make sure the magazine spring is inserted in the correct manner. The high end goes towards the front of the magazine. I had this problem when I first got the Beretta and disassembled the mag.

If that isn't it, now check for damage on the follower. This is unlikely due to the fact that you said it stays back when you manually pull the slide to the rear.

You may need to replace the magazine spring. It may be too weak to successfully engage the slide stop in time before it cycles.

-Steve
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:38:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 11:38:51 PM EST by chrome1]
I see you say you don't think its a mag issue ........... But

I had the same problem with the white follower 15 round mags . I removed the follower filed it so it came up a hair below the top of the feed lips and have had no problems since . I had other mags that worked fine ( Black Follower ) so I used them as a gauge .
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:08:03 PM EST
Well, I just went from a Weaver to a Modern Isosceles stance so my off hand thumb is resting in the area of the slide release. I’ll have to keep an eye on that the next time I’m at the range.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

E-95
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:54:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/27/2004 8:54:12 PM EST by brushdog]
Try several different mags, with different loads, but I would bet that it's your thumb.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:28:48 AM EST
I know my prob is not the thumb. I hold my shooting hand thumb down and my support hand thumb way off like hitch hiking.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:52:39 AM EST
Is it happening in more than one mag markm? If not, you may simply need a new spring, and possibly a new follower if it has some wear.
These are BUSA mags right? The aftermarket ones are garbage.
-Steve
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:10:12 AM EST
Yes. more than one mag. they are all the Asian contract 15 rounders. They have a good reputation, and they feed flawlessly.

But maybe the allow follower and spring that come in them are not the best.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:54:48 AM EST
I've found the asian ones to be iffy. If you find one mag that works well, you could try putting its spring and follower inside the magazine that is giving you grief. This way you can find the exact problem, at least if the problem is consistant -- which they rarely are.
I know everyone hates plastic, but the new nylon/plastic followers from BUSA are better then the old cast ones. They're self lubricating and offer less resistance inside the magazine body.
-Steve
Top Top