Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2010 3:31:22 PM EDT
Today while shooting at the range today a friend's New Smith & Wesson SW1911 Pro slide jammed all the way to the rear and won't budge. There are no external signs of anything wrong that I can see. I checked to see if the hammer was hung up and the slide some how or if the barrel was bulged, which neither was. Does anyone have any idea how to get the slide back forward? He was shooting Herter's 230gr FMJ .45 ammo.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Might try a deadblow hammer, try to get forward enough to remove the slide stop.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#2]
My guess would be galling of the slide to frame due to lack of lube.  Put some penetrating oil on the slide rails and give it a light tap with a light nylon mallet.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 2:36:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

My guess would be galling of the slide to frame due to lack of lube. Put some penetrating oil on the slide rails and give it a light tap with a light nylon mallet.

Or barrel to bushing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Disconnector could be hung up. Try removing sear spring and see if slide releases.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Put it in the freezer overnight and then hit the slide with a hammer...
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#7]
did you have a recoil buffer on the rod?
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I bet the link broke.

Make sure that puppy is clear of ammo and send it back to Smith.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Looked at it again tonight, something seems wrong with the slide catch. I took some video, don't know if it'll help.
1911 Slide Jammed - Youtube
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#10]
"Jammed all the way to the rear" is a freebie you get with the purchase of any new S&W auto pistol.....
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looked at it again tonight, something seems wrong with the slide catch. I took some video, don't know if it'll help.
1911 Slide Jammed - Youtube

The slide stop moves like that because the recoil spring is not putting pressure on the slide.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 5:12:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Use the slide release
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Check the barrel and see if it moves at all, should move some. Looks like the gun may have been reassembled wrong. Will the bushing rotate to remove the recoil spring? Not sure you have the clearance to rotate it, but I think the pin may have missed the barrel link and caused the problem, or the link broke.
BTW, there is no "slide catch spring"!
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#14]
The owner sent it in to S&W about 2 weeks ago at no cost to him. He hasn't heard anything back yet.

ETA- No slide catch spring eh? I guess I've been dealing with my plastic guns for too long.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:35:35 AM EDT
[#15]
He just got it back from S&W. Had a note in the box saying it had a broken bbl.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Could you not take it apart and see that the barrel link was broken?  A "broken bbl" should be pretty obvious.  I don't get it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could you not take it apart and see that the barrel link was broken?  A "broken bbl" should be pretty obvious.  I don't get it.

It was locked up. he couldn't move the slide.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Broken barrel link maybe? I've seen broken barrel links lock guns up.

Or the lugs sheered off and jammed the slide. Does S&W use a 2 piece barrel like SA does? If so, maybe the chamber pulled out of the barrel. I suspect S&W was being a bit obscure for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim

Gottcha. Sorry, had a blonde moment. Wonder how S&W got it apart w/o tearing stuff up.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Today while shooting at the range today a friend's New Smith & Wesson SW1911 Pro slide jammed all the way to the rear and won't budge. There are no external signs of anything wrong that I can see. I checked to see if the hammer was hung up and the slide some how or if the barrel was bulged, which neither was. Does anyone have any idea how to get the slide back forward? He was shooting Herter's 230gr FMJ .45 ammo.

I had the same thing happen to my brand new out of the box Dan Wesson CBOB 1911.  I cleaned and lubed it before I shot it, and everything cycled nice and smooth. I ran 3 rounds of WWB through it, and the slide jammed all the way back.  I ended up finally getting it apart, and the slide and frame were severely galled.  Turns out that they machined it with the tolerance just a little to tight. As soon as a little heat got to the gun, it jammed. I ended up sending it back to them...and in a few days I had it back, and it's been running like a top even since.

It seems like many of the manufactured insist on making 1911's fit together like a close...nice and tight. That's all nice and good until one leaves their shop just a little out of spec...and then it jams up.  

Call up S&W and see if they will take care of it for you...it sounds like the slide to frame fit is just too tight!  

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim

Gottcha. Sorry, had a blonde moment. Wonder how S&W got it apart w/o tearing stuff up.

I dunno. If they told how it was done we could all do it.
Sorta like changing the disconnector on a Ruger MkII.
Magic!

Jim

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim

I don't know anything about 1911's, but the left side grip was loose when he got it back, so perhaps they did something by going in through there.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top