Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 1:28:19 PM EDT
I ran this question through the guys at Glocktalk (before I was banned for criticizing Bush's Katrina response... go figure) and they said it was normal.

Basically, sometimes when I slam a full magazine into my Glock 17, the slide will go forward automatically without me hitting the slide stop lever.

I just wanted to see what you guys thought. Normal? Not normal?

Granted, I don't depend on it and I always assume I have to rack the slide.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It happens to my 19 sometimes and I think it has to do with the energy of slamming the mag disengage the slide stop.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#2]
is it a 3rd gen.? mine does it sometimes, its because the slide stop spring pulls the slide stop over into magwell farther. if it get's hit hard enough when slaping mag in it will realease the slide. my 2nd gen. didn't  do this! it may be normal for third gen. but i don't like it mostly because i can't use the slide stop without mag. i don't think the mag should have anything to do with the slide stop. i'm working on a solution.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#3]
It occasionally happens w/ mine.  I usually really have to slam the mag home for it to happen though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It occasionally happens w/ mine.  I usually really have to slam the mag home for it to happen though.

+1 with my G23
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
It sometimes happens on my 17, hardly ever on my 21.  I prefer it as it speeds in reloading, especially in live fire situations.

The other main thing is that "lever" is simply made to lock the slide open, not release it on a glock.  Glocks are combat pistols, and to ensure you always get enough energy when chambering a round from a new mag you should pull the locked open slide back and let it slam home....not use the little button......If you ever notice, the button is extremely hard to press, especially without a mag....the reason is you are not supposed to use the button to drop the slide, just lock it open.....you don't want the slide shutting without a loaded mag.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#6]
whats going to take damage from letting slide slam shut under it's own power w/out mag.? will it wear somthing if done repeatedly? i usually guide it with hand but don't see what it would hurt ? i did find out why mine was doing it. when i removed the slide stop i noticed the spring favored the right in front of slide stop if looking at it how it sits in gun from behind. i bent the spring a little to favor left, reassembled and tested. problem solved. it keeps the slide stop over aginst frame away from magwell now. it works the same w/or without mag. now and won't auto release no matter how hard i slam mag. in. if you like the auto release idea i think you could do the oppisite of what i did.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#7]
common issue with glocks.  some do it occasionally, some do not.  I have tap rack so ingraned in my muscle memory that i generally spit out the top round when it happens.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:58:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
common issue with glocks.  some do it occasionally, some do not.  I have tap rack so ingraned in my muscle memory that i generally spit out the top round when it happens.

Yeah. I wonder what Glock has to say about it? Would they consider it a design flaw?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#9]
IMO it's just a mag spring starting to take a set.  at work, about half of the mags used to sit around w/ duty ammo and wern't being rotated like they should (i've taken it upon myself to rotate them and keep track).  those mags have real soft springs and the slide goes forward as you seat the mag.

and no, it won't hurt your glock
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Would they consider it a design flaw?

No, any and all will slam shut if you DRIVE the mag in hard enough. This falls back to Newton’s law of physics. What you are doing is moving the receiver fast enough when you slam the mag in that the slide moves to the rear, the slide stop lever drops and the slide closes. Sure you can bend the slide stop spring to where for most ppl it won't happen anymore but that weakens the spring and it will break sooner or later. The down side to slamming the mag in the well is that it damages the mag when it hits the notch for the mag catch. This has no ill effects other then cosmetic.

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the informative post. What causes the slide to move slightly back to the rear? Someone on GlockTalk said that if you hit the grip hard enough (even without a mag), you could get the same effect and the slide would close. I've never seen this happen though-- I've only gotten the slide to go forward by itself when slamming a fully loaded mag in.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah. I wonder what Glock has to say about it? Would they consider it a design flaw?

Not really a design flaw.  As someone else said, simple physics.  Personally i find it way more common an occurance on HK's
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#14]
It is a very normal occurance.

For some reason I can not get it to do it for me.  A friend of mine was using my G19 and he got it to slide forward on just about every mag change.

I don't think it happens just because you insert the mag in hard I think the gun has to be angled a certain way and the mag slammed home.  I tried to do it a bunch of times by just slamming the mag in but it wouldn't work.  I don't know if it has something to do with me being left handed but I just can't do it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks for the informative post. What causes the slide to move slightly back to the rear? Someone on GlockTalk said that if you hit the grip hard enough (even without a mag), you could get the same effect and the slide would close. I've never seen this happen though-- I've only gotten the slide to go forward by itself when slamming a fully loaded mag in.

I've never hit my Glocks this hard, but theoretically...:  It's not the slide moving backwards, it's the frame moving forward. The slide and frame are separated from each other by the slide stop.  If you drive a big enough wave of energy up the grip, the frame and slide may move away from each other.  The frame is the one moving most because 1.) the grip you hit is directly attached to it, and 2.) the slide has much more mass and therefore more inertia to overcome in order to move.  The net effect is to move release the hold on the slide stop, and the slide moves forward.

Theoretically.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Alright, well I guess I'm satisfied. Everyone says it's normal so I'm happy. And my Glock has functioned 100% for every single round so far.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:36:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Same thing happens with my M9. I think this is something universal with pistols.

Btw, don't own a glock yet. Its gonna be my first purchase when I get back stateside.

John
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#18]
lets just stress that it's not a reliable way to reload and that you should practice the slingshot method and not rely on the pistol doing it itself.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#19]
va-gunnut, i read the manual and understand how to load my pistol, but thanks. i was talking about letting it slam closed without mag. people have said don't do it because it will damage somthing. i disagree. on my pistol, the slide stop would pivot out into magwell when mag wasen't there, you couldn't even activate it without mag. when mag was inserted it pushed the stop back were it was supposed to be, if the mag was slammed in the mag would release my slide stop. it was fixed as explained above. i disagree that my spring is weakend or doomed to fail because i ''slightly'' bent the tail.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Never had that prob, but I never slam mags hard.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Happens on my G23 occasionally. It has not affected my loading time as I am aware enough to know to skip the process of releasing the slide when I see it drop from the mag insertion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top