Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 8:08:50 AM EDT
Been wanting a Ruger SA rimfire wheelfun for awhile. Never had a SA wheelgun before, all have been DA, and I normally fire em' that way. The simplicity of a SA revolver appeals to me, and it looks damn cool to boot. The bearcat is a smaller frame=lighter weight, but the single six can shoot 22 WMR. I've got rifles that shoot WMR, so I've got ammo on hand.
Uses of the weapon would be snake shot in one cylinder, and the rest would be for the occasional possum or coon or the rare rabid turtle.
I always carry a wheelgun in the woods and weight is a consideration. It would be nice to plink with 22 RF and use the WMR for more serious tasks, but the bearcat is such a smooth looking little rig. Especially with the ?sheeps head? grips.
Either way I'd go with the 4 5/8" bbl and fixed sights....first person to say "get both" gets kicked in the nuts!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a single six and I love it.  There is nothing wrong with the bearcat.  They are BOTH good guns.  Get the one that fits your hand the best.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:24:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a single six and I love it.  There is nothing wrong with the bearcat.  They are BOTH good guns.  Get the one that fits your hand the best.  

Indecisive, kick him in the nuts!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I love Ruger single actions and have several in various calibers and barrel lengths. You can't beat them for packing outdoors.

I have an old 3 screw model Bearcat and a couple of Super Single Sixes, a 6-1/2" (3 screw) and a 9-1/2"(New Model). The Bearcat is nice and I have carried it, but due to the small size and fixed sights, I am not as accurate with it as I am with either of my Super Single Sixes with the larger grip and adjustable sights. Most of the time I end up carrying my 6-1/2" Super Single Six . I like the dual cylinders which allow me to shoot the .22 magnum round that I use for pest control when I am on the ranch. The 9-1/2" is a bit long for just walking around in the woods, but I carry mine in a crossdraw rig when I am on my ATV and it works pretty well. It is very accurate when using the ATV saddle as a shooting rest.

I would go with the Super Single Six for the versatility and if you can get a stainless one that would be the way to go. All of my Rugers are blued with the exception of one of my Super Blackhawks and if I had to replace them, I would go with stainless for ease of maintenance.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#4]
My $.02 can't beat S&W the model 63, for woods walking. But I must say, I've often thought of owning a Bearcat in stainless? Would make a perfect kit gun.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/349632.jpg
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Single Six.  More accurate in general, and not so TINY.........Doc
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I went with the single six, picked it up today. Used off the EE. Shoots where I point it and its not too big or too small. Just right. Glad I went with the convertable, the 22 mag really packs a punch from the 5.5" bbl.  Thanks for the replies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top