Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2010 6:49:49 PM EDT
Okay Glock guru's here's something that's got me stumped.

I bought a third generation 22 new.  Since I hand load for al my other guns, I picked up a Storm Lake barrel.  When I took it to the range, with factory ammo, I ended up with a single shot gun.

I did some reading and came to the conclusion that maybe the chamber was a little too tight and would need a bit of reaming to work.

Today I took the Glock to the range with the original Glock barrel that came with the gun. I shot only factory ammo, first Remington 140 gr. then Gold dot 180 grain.

I couldn't get more than three shots before it went single shot. I single shot eight magazines hoping that it would loosen things up a little, no such luck.

The issue was the rounds hanging up on the barrel feed ramp.

What should I do to remedy this, lightly polish the feed ramp?  This is bugging the hell out of me.  If it was a 1911, Id know what to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
... were there any pieces left over when you reassembled it?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems odd.

This gun was brand new?  How many rnds had ever been through it?

(and you don't need an aftermarket barrel to reload for it, by the way)
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

... were there any pieces left over when you reassembled it?

No.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Seems odd.

This gun was brand new?  How many rnds had ever been through it?

(and you don't need an aftermarket barrel to reload for it, by the way)

To date after both range visits, I'd guesstimate about 200 rnds..

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#5]
And you're saying it operated reliably before you tried it with the aftermarket barrel, and now that you've tried IT, and switched back to the stock barrel, it's malfunctioning this way?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#6]
It's the barrel.  Glocks are meant to be run with THEIR barrels.  Hope you had a good reason to swap out a perfectly good barrel.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#7]
At my first range trip, yes I tried shooting it with the Storm Lake barrel, result single shot.

After that trip the gun was cleaned.  Today with the original Glock barrel, another trip to the range yielded the exact same result, single shot Glock.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Glocks are not perfect.  If it won't run with factory ammo, factory mags, and the factory barrel...send it back to Glock.  Don't screw with it, you will only make it worse.  Never try to fix a factory gun when the company has good CS...they will do it and be responsible to make it right.  You start screwing with it and it is on you...

Send it back...and don't tell them about the other barrel, ect.  They only work on factory stock guns.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with the above.

I obviously misunderstood.  Rather than just shooting/breaking in the gun beforehand, with the stock barrel, you put the aftermarket barrel in first, and commenced to shoot.  I'd have done it the other way around.

Regardless, just tossing in a drop-in aftermarket barrel, and shooting/attempting to shoot, really should not cause it to be malfunctioning with the stock barrel in place.

Changing barrels doesn't change anything in the gun, with Glocks.

So yes, sounds like it's defective to begin with, I agree on sending it to Glock.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Check the extractor. Ensure that it is clean and free moving. Also check that it really is a .357/.40 extractor and that the extractor depressor plunger assembly is oriented properly (metal to metal, polymer to polymer.)
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Good point, GLOCKREAPER, I shoulda thought o' that.  Might as well make sure it's not something simple before sending it in.

I guess I figured the OP would've looked the gun over to that extent.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:28:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Did you disassemble the upper or lower when you swapped barrels or did you just separate them, swap barrels, and reassemble?  When you say single shot, what exactly do you mean?  Does it fire, eject, chamber a new round, but the trigger just doesn't reset?  Or does it fire, eject, and then lock the slide back as if the gun were empty, even though the mag may still have rounds in it?  Or, other???

I know this will sound silly to some/many, but did you do a proper function check on the gun before you shot it to see if it was, well, functional before and/or after your "mods"?

Unless you are ham fisted and you literally destroy things when taking them apart and putting them back together, there should be no reason for a barrel swap to cause a Glock to malf (unless the barrel is so far off in spec it doesn't work or you damaged something in the removal/installation process).  If the gun is malfing with both the aftermarket and stock barrels, it seems like something must have been damaged during the swap or the gun never worked properly to begin with.

I would take the slide off and examine it and the frame/trigger for obvious defects/issues (maybe post a pic or two here for the experts to look at) and then reassemble with the stock barrel and perform a function check to see whether it passes or not...  If it does not pass 100% every time, then you have an issue that you should correct before loading it up and moving to live fire tests and hope the issue will just rectify itself... just my 2 cents...

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Does the same thing happen with a different magazine?
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Is this your first Glock? That sounds exactly like what happens when I limp-wrist my Glocks. The cartridge just gets stuck halfway up the feed ramp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top