Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2012 4:12:20 AM EDT
After perusing the pic threads, I suddenly have decided to get a single action revolver.........despite being told they are obsolete and to stick to modern handguns. I know Colt, Ruger and Beretta make them, but what about Uberti and Cimmaron? Anyone own these or recommend them? I kinda like the Uberti 1858 new army conversion alot, but know next to nothing about single action revolvers..............school me
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 4:21:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't comment on anything but the Rugers. I love mine.

You won't be sorry when you get a single action revolver. They are a blast!!!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 4:28:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Basically two choices.
Colt SAA (and clones/this includes the Uberti/Cimmaron and the NEW model Vaquero )
These are the classic Old West SA.    
Nice guns but you'll need to stay with moderate/standard to low power loads as the design isn't rated for fire breathing loads.
The cap&ball designs converted to fire cartridges are even weaker. You'll need to stay with light loads or you'll damage the gun.

Ruger BlackHawk - (includes the OLD MODEL Vaquero/Freedom Arms/etc) - Have at it load wise. They'll stand up to full power loads all day long.

There are many accessories for both types(grips, parts, gunsmiths, etc)
Accuracy is great with either type.
Really just a personal choice. I'm more into the historical aspect than actual need for power.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 4:30:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Factory ammo is ok in the Uberti/Cimmaron types?

Quoted:
Basically two choices.
Colt SAA (and clones/this includes the Uberti/Cimmaron and the NEW model Vaquero )
Nice guns but you'll need to stay with moderate/standard to low power loads as the design isn't rated for fire breathing loads.
The cap&ball designs converted to fire cartridges are even weaker. You'll need to stay with light loads or you'll damage the gun.

Ruger BlackHawk - (includes the OLD MODEL Vaquero/Freedom Arms/etc) - Have at it load wise. They'll stand up to full power loads all day long.

Really just a personal choice. I'm more into the historical aspect than actual need for power.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 4:37:11 AM EDT
[#4]
These people make a great product: USFA Firearms
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 4:39:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Factory ammo is ok in the Uberti/Cimmaron types?

Quoted:
Basically two choices.

Yes, with the exception of the really hot stuff like Buffalo Bore or Cor-Bon.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 4:40:28 AM EDT
[#6]
+ 1 for New Vaquero. First and only SA and absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 4:45:16 AM EDT
[#7]
You may want to check out a local SASS club. They are the ones who put single actions through some pretty hard shooting use, albiet light loads.
Plus going to some of the local shoots newbies are highly welcomed. Most will let you try out their guns to show you the 'ropes' . Many have quite a variety of single actions on hand and have a great deal of experience with many brands.
Short of that experience. jump in with what you 1st like and begin a great learning expierence. You really can't go wrong with any single action in my option I like 'em all. I have had expensive Colts and el cheapos $100-200 used) like my current Tarus Gaucho  that has been my #2 SASS gun for the last year.

Try 'em you'll not stop at just one. You gotta start somewhere. Entry level cheapies are just that -entry level- get you in the game .

Don't overlook a cowboy lever action in your pistol caliber  too, you love that also.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 5:26:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I've already considered one of those as well.................after a steady diet of black rifles, 1911s and other guns, I was thinking of checking those out for awhile

Quoted:
You may want to check out a local SASS club. They are the ones who put single actions through some pretty hard shooting use, albiet light loads.
Plus going to some of the local shoots newbies are highly welcomed. Most will let you try out their guns to show you the 'ropes' . Many have quite a variety of single actions on hand and have a great deal of experience with many brands.
Short of that experience. jump in with what you 1st like and begin a great learning expierence. You really can't go wrong with any single action in my option I like 'em all. I have had expensive Colts and el cheapos $100-200 used) like my current Tarus Gaucho  that has been my #2 SASS gun for the last year.

Try 'em you'll not stop at just one. You gotta start somewhere. Entry level cheapies are just that -entry level- get you in the game .

Don't overlook a cowboy lever action in your pistol caliber  too, you love that also.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#9]

These are my videos showing off my collection of single action revolvers. I use only blackpowder in these weapons for authenticity.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I have shot my dad's Colt and Uberti and both work great, of course the Colt is a bit smoother and much higher quality.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 12:48:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't really speak for other brands besides Rugers, I've fired them and my pop is a colt fan but I like Rugers. A benefit of Rugers is you can carry in all six, not 5. The loading is as you would think it should be. On some others, it is not. I like the roll of a Vaquero over the colts when I fire them but I go with it and I don't fight it. If you can, try a few brands. What may feel right to you in holding them, may not when firing them. You can have fixed sights (vaquero) or adjustable (blackhawk). You need to also decide on caliber. I like 357's and my Vaqueros can handle any 357 load out there. Many of the colts and clones (including the new vaqueros in 45LC) can't handle full round house 45's. The "old" Vaquero can. You'll have to check on the blackawk yourself as I said, I like 357's. Another thing on Rugers is that you have a great selection on style. Meaning ones that are already set up for cowboy action, barrel lengths, coloring, caliber and so on.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#12]
i have 2 ruger's one old model and new model one 45acp/45lc and 357mag love mine.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#13]
From what I've read the Uberti 1858 Remington Factory Conversions are pretty nice. I would stick with loads under 1,000 FPS though.

If you are moderately handy you can do a cartridge conversion on one of the 1858 Remington repros yourself.

1. Pietta or Uberti percussion 1858 Remington Replica.

2. Kirst Konverter or Howell Conversion Cylinder.

3. No FFL required.

4. Profit!

I converted this Pietta 1858 to a 5-shot .45 Colt with a Kirst Konverter and factory style ejector rod.

I cut the loading port in the right side recoil shield with a Dremel:

Factory style ejector:

You have to cut a slot in the loading lever to accept the "flag" on the end of the ejector rod. To use the ejector you drop the loading lever, rotate the rod, and punch out the the empties.

Kirst also sells a Richards-Mason style spring loaded ejector which is more like what you'll see on a SAA or a Ruger, and which is more convenient.

The project took me about 8 hours but if I do another I'll probably chop at least 3 hours off, now that I have one under my belt. This one shoots great, a couple inches above POA at 7 yards with Black Hills 250 grain cowboy action shooting .45 Colt loads. Empties fall right out of the chambers or can be pried out with a fingernail, if you don't feel like including the ejector.

Kirst offers conversion cylinders for the .44 caliber 1858s in .45 Colt and .45 ACP. They recommend lead loads with a MV of under 1,000 FPS (cowboy action shooting loads).

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Very nice! I kinda favor that model alot........Liked it ever since I saw Clint Eastwood carry one in Pale Rider

Quoted:
From what I've read the Uberti 1858 Remington Factory Conversions are pretty nice. I would stick with loads under 1,000 FPS though.

If you are moderately handy you can do a cartridge conversion on one of the 1858 Remington repros yourself.

1. Pietta or Uberti percussion 1858 Remington Replica.
2. Kirst Konverter or Howell Conversion Cylinder.
3. No FFL required.
4. Profit!

I converted this Pietta 1858 to a 5-shot .45 Colt with a Kirst Konverter and factory style ejector rod.

I cut the loading port in the right side recoil shield with a Dremel:

Factory style ejector:

You have to cut a slot in the loading lever to accept the "flag" on the end of the ejector rod. To use the ejector you drop the loading lever, rotate the rod, and punch out the the empties.

Kirst also sells a Richards-Mason style spring loaded ejector which is more like what you'll see on a SAA or a Ruger, and which is more convenient.

The project took me about 8 hours but if I do another I'll probably chop at least 3 hours off, now that I have one under my belt. This one shoots great, a couple inches above POA at 7 yards with Black Hills 250 grain cowboy action shooting .45 Colt loads. Empties fall right out of the chambers or can be pried out with a fingernail, if you don't feel like including the ejector.

Kirst offers conversion cylinders for the .44 caliber 1858s in .45 Colt and .45 ACP. They recommend lead loads with a MV of under 1,000 FPS (cowboy action shooting loads).

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That firearm is designed for blackpowder. So are the cartridges for that matter. Stay with blackpowder and it will be safe and still have plenty of power.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:39:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I snagged a uberti cattleman on GB a while back for 268 shipped and it's been all sorts of fun, fit and finish is a bit rough, but I'm not complaining for the price. Every time I take it out it turns into my most popular revolt over on the shooting bench.  Saving pennies right now for a lever gun...
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's my conversion with the Richards Mason ejector

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_16/357488_Catridge_conversion_of_Remington_1858.html
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Here's my conversion with the Richards Mason ejector

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_16/357488_Catridge_conversion_of_Remington_1858.html

Very nicely done.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 4:44:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That firearm is designed for blackpowder. So are the cartridges for that matter. Stay with blackpowder and it will be safe and still have plenty of power.

The Kirst Conversions are safe with any CAS type smokeless factory load or reload with smokeless powder. The ability to shoot smokeless with easier cleaning is a major reason to do the conversion in the first place.

I own and shoot quite a few different SA revolvers.

From the top: Ruger Super Single Six Convertible, John Gallagher custom .45 Colt Blackhawk Bisley Conversion, Hamilton Bowen custom .45 Colt Blackhawk, Uberti "Millenium" .45 Colt SAA replica, Cimmaron .44 Spl/.44-40 SAA, Uberti .45 Colt SAA (the last 3 are all 4-3/4" barrels), Uberti 3-1/2" Birdshead .45 Colt SAA, Cimmaron 1872 Colt Open Top (absolutely the most natural pointing SA I've ever handled) in .45 Colt, Cimmaron 1860 Richard Mason Conversion in .38 Special, and a Pietta 1851 Colt .44 (not historically accurate-never made in .44 but still fun to shoot), flanked by a pair of 1858 Remingtons in .44, one Uberti and one ASM, imported by CVA. My father gave me that CVA 1858 for Christmas when I was 15. I shot it pretty much daily for years and it's been rebuilt at least 7 or 8 times.

Since that pic was taken, I've bought a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine.

I've owned Vaqueros in the past. If you are looking for something that resembles a histotical SAA with modern improvements to be able to shoot them with hotter loads and probably never break or wear out a singlr part, buy a Vaquero. Personally, I prefer something more historically accurate.

Out of them all, I shoot my 1860 Richard Mason Conversion and my 1872 Open Top the most. They just point more naturally.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:21:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Old single action revolvers are a part of history.  I have my dad's Ruger Blackhawk in 44 mag and have a single six stainless in 22 for plinking during small game season.  Would like to get some more one day when the cash flow is better.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:48:42 AM EDT
[#21]
The Ruger Super Single Six at the top of my pic was the first single action I ever owned. I've had it for about 30 years now. My father had a side job when I was a kid painting houses. I had to paint houses with him all day, every day, all summer long when I was 10 years old to earn that Ruger.

He gave me the choice of either a .22 handgun or a remote controlled car. Even at 10 years old I had my priorities in place.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#22]
That's quite a collection! I like 'em!.............makes me want one even more.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Kirst Conversions are safe with any CAS type smokeless factory load or reload with smokeless powder. The ability to shoot smokeless with easier cleaning is a major reason to do the conversion in the first place.

I own and shoot quite a few different SA revolvers.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll204/Hawglegf44/SAs.jpg

From the Millenium" .45 Colt SAA replica, Cimmaron .44 Spl/.44-40 SAA, Uberti .45 Colt SAA (the last 3 are all 4-3/4" barrels), Uberti 3-1/2" Birdshead .45 Colt SAA, Cimmaron 1872 Colt Open Top (absolutely the most natural pointing SA I've ever handled) in .45 Colt, Cimmaron 1860 Richard Mason Conversion in .38 Special, and a Pietta 1851 Colt .44 (not historically accurate-never made in .44 but still fun to shoot), flanked by a pair of 1858 Remingtons in .44, one Uberti and one ASM, imported by CVA. My father gave me that CVA 1858 for Christmas when I was 15. I shot it pretty much daily for years and it's been rebuilt at least 7 or 8 times.

Since that pic was taken, I've bought a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine.

I've owned Vaqueros in the past. If you are looking for something that resembles a histotical SAA with modern improvements to be able to shoot them with hotter loads and probably never break or wear out a singlr part, buy a Vaquero. Personally, I prefer something more historically accurate.

Out of them all, I shoot my 1860 Richard Mason Conversion and my 1872 Open Top the most. They just point more naturally.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's quite a collection! I like 'em!.............makes me want one even more.

Thanks. They seem to have multiplied over the past 30 years or so. If you like that collection, you should see my S&W revolver collection!
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:04:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
+ 1 for New Vaquero. First and only SA and absolutely love it.

I LOVE my NEW VAQUERO!...Stainless, 7.5" bbl & .45 Long Colt. Also replaced the rubber grips for a set of checkered rosewood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top