Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/16/2005 11:44:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 2:02:05 PM EDT by Szurgot]
I have a Browning 9mm HP I am considering for a new carry permit until I can upgrade to something different. Is it a mistake to carry such a pistol for CCW because of the single action?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:57:15 AM EDT
No BHPs do quite well for CCW. Practice with it, and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:19:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:44:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 4:44:54 PM EDT by ikor]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:02:34 PM EDT
It will lay nice and flat against your hip, and the skinny nose of the slide doesn't dig in or bulge at all. The length of the slide will anchor the gun so that it won't shift around in your pants, and the grip length is perfect for concealment.

The sear lever in the slide also acts as a firing pin block, so it will not discharge in your pants even if the sear nose broke off and let the hammer fly.

Carry with confidence. The BHP is the best full sized gun to CCW in the whole world, even better than a 1911.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:56:26 PM EDT
Personally, I love single action for concealed carry. Cocked and locked has worked for me for 20 years and probably will for another 40. The only problem is that the extended hammer can snag on your clothes and wear out your jackets from the inside. Some basic advice on Hi-Powers from my experience: 1. To decrease the snag issue, a commander style hammer is nice 2. The design is from 1935, keep the +p ammo to a minimum. 3. The BHP trigger is okay as is, if you want a great trigger, get a 1911. Some trigger jobs have a negative effect on reliablility. 4. Several companies make a 4" barrel and slide for the BHP. I had good results with mine and it cost a lot less than a new CCW gun. Finally, if you want work done, send it to Cylinder & Slide. I left mine with a local gunsmith who pounded the tapered pins out the wrong way, then went out of business. Ruined the frame for a substandard trigger job. Experience teaches hard lessons sometimes.
Hope this is helpful.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:28:10 AM EDT
I carried a BHP for years, before that I carried a Government Model 1911

They work
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:49:00 PM EDT
I'll second lu380, and wholeheartedly agree with his last sentence.

Practice.

Single action doesn't matter. After you practice long enough (I learned on a 1911), you may even carry hammer down, as I do. Cocking is such a natural action for me, and I did it when 1911 was issue, that I'll fire as fast as someone else who just has to let off a safety.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:29:43 PM EDT
The single action designs of Mr. Browning are some of the easiest pistols to place into action in a stress situation. The thumb safety can be swept off as you grip the pistol to take it out of the holster. The only thing I would do is make sure the Hi Power has the extended safety lever. The factory safety lever is very small.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:10:17 PM EDT
I agree with Sgt_Gold. The extended safety is a definite must have for concealed carry. If you want to convince yourself of that, just take a 2 or 4 day defensive pistol class with the standard safety lever on the old Hi-Powers and see how many times you don't quite get the safety fully disengaged. I have noticed some of the newer models have addressed this issue. May not apply to you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:31:52 AM EDT
Single action autos? A lot of people carry 1911's on this board. Perfectly good for CCW. Now drop that sissy 9 and get a .45.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:37:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shotgun:
Single action autos? A lot of people carry 1911's on this board. Perfectly good for CCW. Now drop that sissy 9 and get a .45.

Well that shows my ignorance, and the need for the question. I assumed double action or revolvers would be better. Wrong again.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:57:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:59:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:
Nah, that Browning is fine. 20-30+ years ago you heard people (particularly police/military) criticize carrying cocked and locked but it's become an accepted practice (as it should be).

It's funny the people who will shudder at the sight of a cocked 1911 but will carry a shotgun or rifle that is in the same condition, they just can't see the cocked hammer.

It seems to me the hammer would be snagging on everything it could find in that position.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:06:48 PM EDT
Man with all the crap on the back of most DA's nowadays (ruger P90 is a good example) it won't be any worse.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:33:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Szurgot:

Nah, that Browning is fine. 20-30+ years ago you heard people (particularly police/military) criticize carrying cocked and locked but it's become an accepted practice (as it should be).

It's funny the people who will shudder at the sight of a cocked 1911 but will carry a shotgun or rifle that is in the same condition, they just can't see the cocked hammer.

It seems to me the hammer would be snagging on everything it could find in that position.

Nope, cocked and locked is the way to go. With any holster really, the gun is above the belt and the hammer won't snag on anything that the ass end of the pistol wouldn't snag on already.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:33:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Szurgot:

Actually on a 1911 with a beaver tail and a looped commander style hammer, it's really a very flat, no snagging surface when in Condition 1. The loop of the hammer sits back into the beaver tail, so really only the flat striking face of the hammer is exposed.

Works like a champ.
Top Top